Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Defining variable problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Defining variable problem Post 302909136 by Don Cragun on Monday 14th of July 2014 10:09:04 PM
Old 07-14-2014
As has been said many times before on these forums, shell variables are not expanded inside single quotes. Try changing:
Code:
sed -i '7,7 s/$/   $count_C    $count_O    $count_H/g' input

to:
Code:
sed -i "7s/$/   $count_C    $count_O    $count_H/g" input

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining a variable as a number or character?

I am writing a script that needs to accept numbers into a variable by prompting and using the code read num case $num in 000) break ;; *) I am fairly new to unix and am loving the versatility of the language but need a little shove in the right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobian
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining Variables

I'm trying to define a variable named sin I already have a variable named cos, which has the value "hello" I want sin to have the value of "hellothere", so sin would be something like sin = $cos & "there" but I'm not sure that I know the syntax. Can anyone help? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailorliones
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting/Filed Defining/Output problem

need a little help with a few tid bits. I wrote a script that checks the resoluion of image files and writes them out to a file then sorts the resolutions by largets Width. Then take the sorted files information and toss all the 835 widths into a seperate file. Ignore the redundancies its a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem defining remote printers on solaris 10

Good morning, I have a server with solaris 10 that I want to intall remote printers. I started lpsched deamon without problems with command: svcadm enable application/print/server I want to install printers that are defined locally on print server, so: lpadmin -p <device> -s <print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining EDITOR Variable - Tru64

Hi, I have to edit a lot of partitions soon and wanted to do so with EMACS rather than VI. The "disklabel -e -r disknumber" command picks up VI as it's defined, but how do I set "-e" so it uses EMACS instead please? Thanks...! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bagel08
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining variables

Hey all, I was wondering if someone would take a look at this script I'm working on. I don't know if i have the syntax correct for my variables and if the for loop is written correctly. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/bash ###########################################... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining a variable using multiple "entries/columns" within a line using read

Hello All, I am trying to figure out how to use the read command. I have a txt file that has rows looking something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 where each number represents an entry of various characters deliminated by tabs. My goal is to set entries 2-7 as a variable/string that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torinator
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias defining problem in .cshrc file

Hi folks, I'm trying to define the following command as alias in .cshrc file: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -hs I defined it as the following: alias nirdirs '`ls -ltr | grep "^d" | awk "{print \\$9}" | xargs du -hs`' I've got the following error when I've run the alias:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining variable in .profile

In root dir i have created a .profile file and added variable and assigned a path to it: a = '/dir/dir' export a but when i echo (echo $a) the path or use this variable the value or path not getting displayed. i tried executing the .profile and logging out and logging in, didnt workout. am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
1 Replies

10. Programming

Problem defining a struct

I have the following code and getting the compilation errors baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:80: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:89: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:101:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies
GCHEM3D(1)						       gnome-chemistry-utils							GCHEM3D(1)

NAME
gchem3d - a small chemical viewer application SYNOPSIS
gchem3d [OPTION(S)...] [FILE...] DESCRIPTION
gchem3d is a small chemical viewer application, which can show several chemical file formats. OPTIONS
The following options are accepted: -b COLOR, --bgcolor=COLOR Use the given color as background color. COLOR can be one of "black" (default), "white", "#rrggbb" (don't forget to escape the "#" character in the shell). -d MODEL, --display3d=MODEL Choose how molecules are displayed. MODEL can be one of "BallnStick" (default), "SpaceFill". -?, --help Show application help options. --help-all, --help-* Print all or just a group of help options. These options are not documented here. Instead see gtk-options(7) and gnome-options(7). -v, --version Print gchem3d version information. SEE ALSO
gnome-options(7), gtk-options(7) AUTHORS
Jean Brefort <jean.brefort@normalesup.org> Program author. Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert@wgdd.de> Manpage author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2007 Jean Brefort Copyright (C) 2004-2007 Daniel Leidert Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. gcu 0.12 $Date: 2009-03-19 10:53:47 +0100 (jeu. 19 mars 2009) $ GCHEM3D(1)