Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) The Great Hopping Unkillable PID Post 302909013 by bartus11 on Sunday 13th of July 2014 02:24:10 PM
Old 07-13-2014
If the PID is increasing, then the new process was spawned. Something started new VLC process. Check parent ID of that process and see what started it.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Great deal!

Okay, I don't know how this is funny, but it is. I found this while searching for Linux (please don't ask). :o (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Great service -- why?

This a great service! I'm just curious how the people who are paying for the server, domain name, etc. are paying their bills. It doesn't look like this site generates any income through ads... why not try putting google's adwords on the site? Seems like it would be free money. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottish
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh - transfers with gateway hopping

Hi, I am having trouble transferring files from a source UNIX machine to a destination UNIX machine by hopping via 2 gateway machines. The user used for the transfer has been setup/authorized so no password is required to login. Summerized: source to gateway1 to gateway2 to destination ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
2 Replies

7. Solaris

unkillable format process

Hi gurus, I can not seem to be able to run format completely on my t2000 (Sol 10), it just hangs there and I cannot kill it. I know that it is probably trapped in the kernel somewhere (far from the user space) and this is the reason i can not kill it but I would like to determine how to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)