Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to preserve the value of a variable from being overwritten? Post 302908971 by veeresh_15 on Saturday 12th of July 2014 07:36:25 AM
Old 07-12-2014
Oracle How to preserve the value of a variable from being overwritten?

Hi All,

I am new new to unix.com, I have a question related to shell scripting.
We have a Oracle database backup shell script, which can be used for taking full, incremental & archive log backup based on the parameters passed.

Within the script we export a variable as
Code:
export gv_shell_id=$(date "+%y%m%d_%H%M%S_")$$

So for every execution of backup, we will have a unique gv_shell_id. We store the gv_shell_id along with other backup details in a database table for reporting purpose.

If we have executed a full backup, it will set a gv_shell_id and if simultaneously some one kicks off archive log backup, it will reset the gv_shell_id with different value.

And this is causing a wrong entry of gv_shell_id for full backup in the table.

Basically i want to make the variable itself unique for every execution to avoid such problem.
I tried using gv_shell_id_$$=$(date "+%y%m%d_%H%M%S_")$$

but it throws below error.
Code:
gv_shell_id_$$=$(date "+%y%m%d_%H%M%S_")$$
-bash: gv_shell_id_24357=140712_073709_24357: command not found

Can you please help me in generating a unique variable so that it doesn't get overwirtten by any other execution of same script.

Last edited by Scott; 07-12-2014 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.cshrc and .login overwritten !!

Hi, My account is : abcd I belong to a group: pqrs Some thing straneg happened yesterday. My .cshrc and .login got overwritten into pqrs's .cshrc and .login I obviously did not explicitly overwrite pqrs's .cshrc. Are there any reasons how this could have happened indirectly due to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjthomas
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grub Loader entry overwritten

Hello, One of my frend had a problem. He had Windows XP installed on his system. Then he installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 in one of the partitions. After some time his XP got corrupt and then he reinstalled Windows XP. This over wrote the Grub loader entry, and due to this the grub loader is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

3. AIX

UIDs being overwritten immediately

We have a problem where we delete a user and their associated UID gets dumped back in the UID pool. The if we immediately create a another (new) user, AIX reuses the last UID, the one that was just released. This is causing a problem when reports are being generated because the new users name is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsys2000
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Critical files in /etc overwritten EMPTY!

The following files were wiped out - new empty files were left in their place. /etc/inittab, /etc/inetd.conf, and /etc/MANPATH The system is running HP-UX 11i v3 - Mar08. Anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas on a way to figure this out if it happens again or a suggested way to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KEnglander
9 Replies

5. Solaris

overwritten rootdisk?

Hi, The dump device on my system was set to /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7. I have done a savecore -Lv on the system which worked fine. I'm wondering have I overwritten the rootdisk here by mistake? The system is still up but will need to be rebooted due to an error on it. Will it come back up? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
8 Replies

6. Programming

variables overwritten

Hi, i have some problems with the following code: char *tab_path; char *sep=" \t\n"; char line; char *p; FILE * file; int i = 0; if(fgets(line,MAXLINE,file)!=NULL){ if((p=strtok(line,sep))!=NULL)tab_path=p; while((p=strtok(NULL,sep))!=NULL){ i++; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file is getting overwritten

Hello All, I am writing a bash script on Solaris O/S. I looping through an array. For each iteration, i connect to the datatabase and use select statement. Output of which is redirected to .CSV file. here is the code for it. output="loop.csv" elements=${#currency_pair} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arundhati_s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve space in variable of AWK

This seems to be a stupid basic question, but I cant get the space to stick in the awk variable. I do use this command to grep a time range of the log file. cat /var/log/daemon.log | awk '$0>=from&&$0<=to' from="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S -d -24hour)" to="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S)" I now... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve trailing whitespace in variable

Hello, I wondering how I can echo a string without having the trailing whitespace removed. For example I have a string str="TESTING123 " that I need to hash using sha1. I get the correct answer when I run the line below from the terminal $ echo -n "TESTING123 " | openssl sha1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ssh2 key has been overwritten, need a way to restore

I had generated a ssh2 key on my AIX box, to receive files from other AIX and Linux systems. Key Name: id_ssh2_server.pub However this ssh2 key (both public and private keys) has been overwritten, while I was generating another ssh2 key. Now the earlier configured target systems are not able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
3 Replies
BACKUP-MANAGER-PURGE(8) 				       backup-manager-purge					   BACKUP-MANAGER-PURGE(8)

NAME
backup-manager-purge - backup-manager's wrapper for outdating files SYNOPSIS
backup-manager-purge [TTL] <options> DESCRIPTION
backup-manager-purge is the only authorized entity that can say if an archive should be purged or not. Any tasks used by backup-manager may have to know if an archive is deprecated (eg: the purging phase of an upload method). This tool is here to fulfill that need. Given a time to live (TTL) and a list of archives, backup-manager-purge will return another list of archives, corresponding to the ones that are outdated by the TTL. REQUIRED ARGS
--ttl=time-to-live Specify the time to live (in days) for the archives. Any archive that is older than ttl days will be outdated. OPTIONAL ARGS
--files-from=file A file containing a list of archives to parse, one archive per line. If this option is not used, STDIN will be used for catching the files to parse. RETURN
backup-manager-purge will return the list of outdated files on STDOUT, one file per line. ERROR CODES
If an error occurs, it will print the error message on stderr and will exit with an error code greater than 0. Here are the possible error codes: bad command line (wrong arguments) : 10 internal error (should be reported as a bug) : 20 SEE ALSO
backup-manager(8) backup-manager-upload(8) AUTHORS
Concept and design by Alexis Sukrieh and Jan Metzger. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-09 BACKUP-MANAGER-PURGE(8)