Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH- Hold script until all contents of a file is written Post 302908905 by popeye on Friday 11th of July 2014 11:13:55 AM
Old 07-11-2014
BASH- Hold script until all contents of a file is written

I have to hit a very large database to pull fields of information.

I have a script that runs multiple instance of the same query against the data base and writes contents to a file.

The script terminates before the file is completely written to confirmed by

Code:
ps -ef | grep <script name>

The code below will hold the script until the file is created.
But I also want to know when writting has completed.

I guess my question is how do I look for EOF ?

Code:
while true 
do 
 [ -f resultfile ] && break
 sleep 2 
done

Thanks alot in advance !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing contents of files from a bash script

I'm writing a shell script and I need to replace the contents of a configuration file based on what is passed to the script...can I replace expressions in a file from a bash shell script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HumanBeanDip
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hangman written in Bash. Suggestions please...

qwertyuiop (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rorey_breaker
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Most reliable way to store file contents in an array in bash

Hi Guys, I have a file which has numbers in it separated by newlines as follows: 1.113 1.456 0.556 0.021 -0.541 -0.444 I am using the following code to store these in an array in bash: FILE14=data.txt ARRAY14=(`awk '{print}' $FILE14`) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for help with parsing file contents in bash [newbie]

Hi I'm just messing around with bash and trying to learn it because I have a course next semester dealing with OS design where we need to know how to use SSH client and either bash or ksh. I've never done shell scripting before. I just started today and I was wondering how parsing files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehungry
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed's hold-space to filter file contents

I wrote an awk script to filter "uninteresting" commands from my ~/.bash_history (I know about HISTIGNORE, but I don't want to exclude these commands from my current session's history, I just want to avoid persisting them across sessions). The history file can contain multi-line entries with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivanbrennan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash command to find a file and print contents

I need to find a file and print its contents I am trying but it is not working find -path /opt/app-root/src/.npm/_logs -type f -name "*.log" -print Version $ bash -version GNU bash, version 4.4.12(1)-release (x86_64-pc-msys) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SVRao19056
1 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)