Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Memory fragmentation in a Linux settop box Post 302908893 by Peasant on Friday 11th of July 2014 06:54:13 AM
Old 07-11-2014
I had ZFS ARC 'issues' on Oracle database machines (database using ASM).

Since there is alot of free memory, ZFS eats most of it. Then application start to attack the database causing significant rise of PGA.

Altho the ZFS holds alot of GB, it is slow to release, and the machine starts swapping causing everything to come to a almost halt.

I resolved by lowering ARC cache max to 4 GB on every database machine.
These are LDOMs on Solaris 11.1 T5 Sparc machines.

Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Memory usage in the box

Hello: Environment is: Oracle 817 on IBM RS/6000 AIX 433 I have 4GB RAM on the box and Page/Swap is about the same. Presently I am using close to 1GB of RAM towards 5 instances of ORACLE production environments. How can I know, how much of memory/RAM is used for : Oracle Processes , I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fragmentation command in linux?

Hi, Please let me know more details on fragmentation in redhat linux and command to check fragmented files? Thanks, Bache Gowda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Reboot a linux box from a windows box

HI All, I need a script to reboot a linux box from a windows box. The script needs to run automatically whenever a sitescope alerts with an error message. Have searched for this in the forums, but could not get something relative. Pls. let me know the various alternatives we have to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

help me decipher how much memory on my box

hi, if I do top, I get Memory: 19277012K (5868296K) real, 33860312K (11294208K) virtual, 795392K free If I do swapinfo -tm I get: % swapinfo -tm Mb Mb Mb PCT TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED dev 16384 0 16383 0% dev ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
3 Replies

5. Linux

my box can't see full memory

Hi I'be recently installed Virtouzzo on Centos 5 on 16GB box , but the system could only see 4 GB of RAM, I installed the package kernel-PAE, but the virtuozzo kernel still can't see the full memory. even the kernel system can see 16GB of RAM is there any idea bout that ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raied
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory of box

I have certain questions. 1) How can i see the memory of the unix box. 2) How can i see the size of the database on the box 3)can anyone suggest an article or tutorial that explains the concept of file systems and mount point in UNIX. 4)How can i see the dblink on the server I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Memory issue on solaris10 box

my system has 128G of installed memory. top, vmstat shows the system has just over 10G of free memory on the system. but as per prstat o/p the usage is just 50-55G is there anyway i can find which process/zone is using more memory ? System has 3 zones and all running application servers. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting Linux box to Linux box

Hi, I've been able to mount my linux box to a windows machine, but I can't seem to mount my linux box to another linux box I have. (I know I could scp, but for other reasons I need to do it this way) Samba is installed. Here is an example where I mount to a Win machine.--> works fine mount... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
12 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to access redhat Linux box graphically from windows box?

Hi I have a linux box and need to access from windows graphically # uname -a Linux pc-l416116 2.6.18-155.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jun 19 17:06:47 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux What components do I need to install on Linux and windows to do that? TIA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
6 Replies

10. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Copying , renaming the file from windox box and ftp to Linux box

Hello my dear friends, Two file are auto generated from mon - fri at different directories on same windows box.Every day i have to copy the file, rename it (specific name)and ftp it to linux box specified directory. is it possible to automate this process,If yes this has to be done from windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umesh yadav
1 Replies
ZFS-FUSE(8)							  [FIXME: manual]						       ZFS-FUSE(8)

NAME
zfs-fuse - ZFS filesystem daemon SYNOPSIS
zfs-fuse [--pidfile filename] [--no-daemon] [--no-kstat-mount] [--disable-block-cache] [--disable-page-cache] [--fuse-attr-timeout SECONDS] [--fuse-entry-timeout SECONDS] [--log-uberblocks] [--max-arc-size MB] [--fuse-mount-options OPT,OPT,OPT...] [--min-uberblock-txg MIN] [--stack-size=size] [--enable-xattr] [--help] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the zfs-fuse command. zfs-fuse is a daemon which provides support for the ZFS filesystem, via fuse. Ordinarily this daemon will be invoked from system boot scripts. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -h --help Show summary of options. -p filename --pidfile filename Write the daemon's PID to filename after daemonizing. Ignored if --no-daemon is passed. filename should be a fully-qualified path. -n --no-daemon Stay in foreground, don't daemonize. --no-kstat-mount Do not mount kstats in /zfs-kstat --disable-block-cache Enable direct I/O for disk operations. Completely disables caching reads and writes in the kernel block cache. Breaks mmap() in ZFS datasets too. --disable-page-cache Disable the page cache for files residing within ZFS filesystems. Not recommended as it slows down I/O operations considerably. -a SECONDS --fuse-attr-timeout SECONDS Sets timeout for caching FUSE attributes in kernel. Defaults to 0.0. Higher values give a 40% performance boost. -e SECONDS --fuse-entry-timeout SECONDS Sets timeout for caching FUSE entries in kernel. Defaults to 0.0. Higher values give a 10000% performance boost but cause file permission checking security issues. --log-uberblocks Logs uberblocks of any mounted filesystem to syslog -m MB --max-arc-size MB Forces the maximum ARC size (in megabytes). Range: 16 to 16384. -o OPT... --fuse-mount-options OPT,OPT,OPT... Sets FUSE mount options for all filesystems. Format: comma-separated string of characters. -u MIN --min-uberblock-txg MIN Skips uberblocks with a TXG < MIN when mounting any fs -v MB --vdev-cache-size MB adjust the size of the vdev cache. Default : 10 --zfs-prefetch-disable Disable the high level prefetch cache in zfs. This thing can eat up to 150 Mb of ram, maybe more --stack-size=size Limit the stack size of threads (in kb). default : no limit (8 Mb for linux) -x --enable-xattr Enable support for extended attributes. Not generally recommended because it currently has a significant performance penalty for many small IOPS -h --help Show this usage summary. REMARKS ON PRECEDENCE
Note that the parameters passed on the command line take precedence over those supplied through /etc/zfs/zfsrc. BUGS
/CAVEATS The path to the configuration file (/etc/zfs/zfsrc) cannot at this time be configured. Most existing packages suggest settings can be set at the top of their init script. These get frequently overridden by a (distribution specific) /etc/default/zfs-fuse file, if it exists. Be sure to look at these places if you want your changes to options to take effect. The /etc/zfs/zfsrc is going to be the recommended approach in the future. So, packagers, please refrain from passing commandline parameters within the initscript (except for --pid-file). SEE ALSO
zfs (8), zpool (8), zdb(8), zstreamdump(8), /etc/zfs/zfsrc AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bryan Donlan bdonlan@gmail.com for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation, or the Common Development and Distribution License. Revised by Seth Heeren zfs-fuse@sehe.nl On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. The text of the Common Development and Distribution Licence may be found at /usr/share/doc/zfs-fuse/copyright COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Bryan Donlan [FIXME: source] 2010-06-09 ZFS-FUSE(8)