Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HELP for my script
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers HELP for my script Post 302908707 by JONATHAN0919 on Wednesday 9th of July 2014 07:59:35 PM
Old 07-09-2014
HELP for my script

guys need help how to add user to my script.
note: this is not a home work... I'm just self studying unix/linux programming. thanks in advance.
and how can i add this script to the add user list below. dont know how to combine case and ifelse.

Code:
if [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; 
 then 	read -p "Enter username : " username 	
            read -s -p "Enter password : " password 	
            egrep "^$username" /etc/passwd >/dev/null 	
            if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then 		
               echo "$username exists!" 		
              exit 1 	
           else 		
              pass=$(perl -e 'print crypt($ARGV[0], "password")' $password) 		
             useradd -m -p $pass $username 		
             [ $? -eq 0 ] && echo "User has been added to system!" || echo "Failed to add a user!" 	
         fi
 else 	
           echo "Only root may add a user to the system" 	
           exit 2 
 fi

-------------------------------------------------------------
my exercise:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
clear
PS3="Enter your choice> "
select i in "Current Logins" "Last Logins" "Generate List of Users" "Create User Accounts" "Exit"
do

case $i in
        "Current Logins") who;;
        "Last Logins") lastlog;;
        "Generate List of Users") awk -F':' '{ print $1}' /etc/passwd;;
        "Create User Accounts") useradd;;
        Exit) exit;;

*) echo "Invalid choice";;
esac         
done

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags, not colors

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 07-09-2014 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Reformat one long line into readable code

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
su(1)							      General Commands Manual							     su(1)

Name
       su - substitute a user ID

Syntax
       su [username]

su - [username]

su -f [username]

Description
       The  command  requests the password of the specified username.  If the correct password is given, changes to that username without changing
       the current directory.  The user environment is unchanged except for HOME and SHELL which are taken from the password file entry for  user-
       name.   The  shell  that  is  run  is also taken from the password file entry for username.  The new user ID stays in force until the shell
       exits.

If no username is specified, `root' is assumed.	To remind the superuser of his responsibilities, the shell substitutes `#' for	its  usual
       prompt.

Options
       -f   Prevents from executing the .cshrc file, making start up faster.

-    Simulates a full login.

Diagnostics
       Sorry
	    An invalid password was supplied for the specified username.

Unknown login: username
	    The specified username was not found in the passwd database.

No directory
	    The home directory for the username is not accessible at this time (only with ``-'' argument).

No shell
	    The shell specified in the passwd database entry for username could not be executed.

Kerberos initialization failure
	    Consult your system administrator.

If enhanced security features are enabled the following error messages are also possible:

Requires secure terminal
	    Attempt to su to UID 0 on a line that is not marked secure in

User's password has expired
	    Access is denied because the password for username is expired.

This account is disabled
	    Access is denied because the auth entry corresponding to username is marked disabled.

Files
       Log file of anyone who became
			root, with a date mark.

See Also
       csh(1), sh(1), passwd(5yp), environ(7), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators
       Security Guide for Users

su(1)