Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing variables to a sed function Post 302908675 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 9th of July 2014 01:06:06 PM
Old 07-09-2014
Variables are substituted in "double quotes" only:
Code:
StringSub '1s' "${tidyMonth}\/01\/${tidyYear}" 'Date' 'g' 'mysource.csv'

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to pass variables to a sed-command. I'm reading a lot of threats and also the q&a "How can I use a variable in sed?". None of these commands works. I'm using AIX 5.2. I want to do the following: NUMBER=` echo 38341` | sed -n '/$NUMBER/p' an obtained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfisch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed inside script

I am trying to pass a regular expression variable from a simple script to sed to remove entries from a text file e.g. a='aaaa bbbb cccc ...|...:' then executing sed from the script sed s'/"'$a"'//g <$FILE > $FILE"_"1 my output file is always the same as the input file !! any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel234
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed function in a script ....

Hello , I have a script named testscript.sh wherein I have two variables $var and $final (both of which contain a number) I have a sed write function inside this script as follows: sed '1,2 w somefile.txt' fromfile.txt Now , in the above i want to pass $var and $final instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching or passing variables

I need sed to add a "/>" to the end of a line that contains/starts with <meta. current line is <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2"> and should be <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2 " /> i need something like this? find . -name "*.html" -print0 | xargs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_rivers
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed in ksh

Hi, i need help passing variables to sed using ksh. My goal is to get particular data from log files. first i put a mark to the log files. echo "TEST_"`date + %m_%d_%Y_%T"` >markFile this will produce a 'markFile' which contain text like this TEST_06_01_2009_21:55:09 then i put the mark... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.anggrianto
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing two variables to function

HI ,I am a new in Bash and ,I dont know how to pass a second parameter to this fuction,if the name of the passed argument is num works fine,but if I try to pass secondNum,dont recognized it thanks function check() { if(($(echo ${#num}) == 0 )) then echo No arguments passed.Try... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing multiple variables into SED

Hello I am hoping you can help. I use ksh in Solaris9 I am trying to pass user imputed variables into SED but for some reason can only get SED to recognize one variable. I have experimented with te below command with putting ' ' and " " in different places but I cant seem to get it to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)