Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk script to replace nth character with comma Post 302908270 by aramacha on Saturday 5th of July 2014 11:26:04 AM
Old 07-05-2014
Thanks RudiC. It worked exactly the same way I wanted.

@Srini - Its a single column having larger data either separetd by comma or a space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace nth character in a file with a period

Hi all, If you look at the example below,I want to replace the 21st character (,) with a period (.). I have 1000 records in a file can someone help me how to do that. Thankyou all in advance. "2008-07-15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackhawk_123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace all entries of comma in text file by space or other character

Hi , How to replace all entries of comma in text file by space or other character. cat temp.txt A,B,C,D I want this file to be like A B C D Please help!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search for specific line and replace nth column

I need to be able to search for a string in the first column and if that string exists than replace the nth column with "-9.99". AW12000012012 2.38 1.51 3.01 1.66 0.90 0.91 1.22 0.82 0.57 1.67 2.31 3.63 0.00 AW12000012013 1.52 0.90 1.20 1.34 1.21 0.67 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a value of Nth field of nth row

Using Awk, how can I achieve the following? I have set of record numbers, for which, I have to replace the nth field with some values, say spaces. Eg: Set of Records : 4,9,10,55,89,etc I have to change the 8th field of all the above set of records to spaces (10 spaces). Its a delimited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nth to nth character?

Hi I got the following problem and I wonder if some could please help me out? I'd like to replace character 8 - 16 , 16 - 24 cat file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace nth column by using a variable.

I am passing a variable and replace nth value with the variable. I tried using many options in awk command but unable to ignore the special characters in the output and also unable to pass the actual value. Input : "1","2","3" Output : "1","1000","3" TempVal=`echo 1000` Cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script using awk to replace space by comma

I have the content of this file that i would like to replace the space by comma. The file content values in this format FName LName Date & time ------------------------------------ Gilles John 14/12/17 12:30:45 I want this format Fname,LName,Date&time... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillesi
7 Replies
STAG-FLATTEN(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  STAG-FLATTEN(1p)

NAME
stag-flatten - turns stag data into a flat table SYNOPSIS
stag-flatten -c name -c person/name dept MyFile.xml DESCRIPTION
reads in a file in a stag format, and 'flattens' it to a tab-delimited table format. given this data: (company (dept (name "special-operations") (person (name "james-bond")) (person (name "fred")))) the above command will return a two column table special-operations james-bond special-operations fred If there are multiple values for the columns within the node, then the cartesian product will be calculated USAGE
stag-flatten [-p PARSER] [-c COLS] [-c COLS] NODE <file> ARGUMENTS
-p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext xml assumed as default -c|column COL1,COL2,COL3,.. the name of the columns/elements to write out this can be specified either with multiple -c arguments, or with a comma-seperated (no spaces) list of column (terminal node) names after a single -c -n|nest if set, then the output will be a compress repeating values into the same row; each cell in the table will be enclosed by {}, and will contain a comma-delimited set of values SEE ALSO
Data::Stag perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-FLATTEN(1p)