Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read loop from two files using descriptors Post 302907637 by RudiC on Monday 30th of June 2014 04:12:26 PM
Old 06-30-2014
You can grep -fgrplist on stdin from a pipe.

Nested loops look like e.g.
Code:
while read atd
   do while read grp
         do  your_commands
         done < GRPLIST
   done < ATDINFILE

The outer loop reads the jobs one by one, and the inner does the comparisons for the entire grp file for every single job.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with a 'while read' loop to change the names of files

Hi, I am new to scripting, so any help on this would be much appreciated. I am trying to rename a bunch of files, taking the names sequentially from a list read in another file... # ls oldnames file_1 file_2 file_3 # cat names red yellow green I want the files to take on the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: starsky
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to list the files using File Descriptors

hello, I have written a script named listall.sh with the following codes init. #!/bin/bash PATH="/proj/cmon/$1" echo $PATH if ; then echo "Usage: $0 ***" exit 1 else ls -l $PATH/*.sc fi Here there are 3 subdirectories (namely - src, data and jobs)under /proj/cmon, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write/read to file descriptors

Is it possible to write to file descriptor 0 and read from 1 or 2? How could this be implemented? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machshev
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to access files via their descriptors?

hello, I'm new here, and new to Linux. I was wondering how to get hold of a certain file's descriptor, and how to use that number so that I access the contents of the file. please give me a full example, that is (1) how to determine the descriptor and (2) what magic symbols to use so that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ialoq
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

until loop and read

Hi guys what I wanna do is to create a script where can I input several times a file - assume with read function that will be inserted into a temp. file for further processing. When I press q I want that the loop will stop and continue in my script I typed this but the options q is not working... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and edit multiple files using a while loop

Hi all, I would like to simply read a file which lists a number of pathnames and files, then search and replace key strings using a few vi commands: :1,$s/search_str/replace_str/g<return> but I am not sure how to automate the <return> of these vis commands when I am putting this in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

10. Programming

Read .xlsx and text files in a loop using openpyxl

I have a list of .xlsx files (names 1.xlsx, 2.xlsx etc) in a directory, on which I need to insert data from its corresponding text file (named 1.txt, 2.txt etc) on the second worksheet named 'Filtered' and save it. The code I am trying is #!/usr/bin/python import os from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
8 Replies
grp.h(3HEAD)                                                          Headers                                                         grp.h(3HEAD)

NAME
grp.h, grp - group structure SYNOPSIS
#include <grp.h> DESCRIPTION
The <grp.h> header declares the structure group, which includes the following members: char *gr_name /* name of the group */ gid_t gr_gid /* numerical group ID */ char **gr_mem /* pointer to a null-terminated array of character */ /* pointers to member names */ The gid_t type is defined as described in <sys/types.h> (see types(3HEAD)). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getgrnam(3C), types.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 grp.h(3HEAD)