Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How does IRC obtain the users in a channel? Post 302907587 by daigo on Monday 30th of June 2014 09:29:38 AM
Old 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by decent
Code:
/who #channelname

/who is not a valid command either Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Irc??

hi there everybody.. i just noticed that there is no forum dedicated to internet relay chat (IRC)... although there are several threads focused on this, i think it is quite better if there is a forum where questions on IRC are tackled head-on in a purely academic level... anyway, this is just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cable21
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IRC and Root

dear members... i am a newbie to unix, i am using the SUSE professional 9.2 i noticed many places, that when i am using IRC , i shouldn't be logged into the root account.. also when i switch the GPSdrive, it mentions to me that it is not goo to be logged thru the root account. what is wrong if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 9613315400
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to obtain list of users ?

How to obtain list of users found in /home/ and append it to a file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby36
7 Replies

4. Programming

to obtain users of each group in c

Hello They have ordered to me that makes several small utilities in C/C++ for the servants, among them a small program in C/C++ to generate a file HTML with the groups of that servant and in addition that is the corresponding users of that group. For example of a group: Group: Sys Members:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybermeis
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My domain name as my IRC hostname?

When I connect to any IRC server, it's usually my ISP IP address/hostname. I own a domain, but I'm not using it for anything (no web hosting service or server). Is it possible for me to use my domain as my IRC hostname instead of my regular ISP hostname? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
0 Replies

6. SCO

Irc port

does anyone know of a port of irc like irssi for unixware? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deus-programmer
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)