Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Conditional Script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Conditional Script Post 302907560 by vrupatel on Monday 30th of June 2014 06:16:44 AM
Old 06-30-2014
Conditional Script

Hi,

I have a script file which has some simple commands. I want these commands to be executed based on the input. Ia m good with IF statement also. At the end it has to be based on incoming value. Example

CASE 1 :

Execute some commands where Input value as 1

CASE 2 :

Execute commands where Input value as 2

CASE 3 :

Execute commands where Input value as 3

How we can write a case statement within a script file and pass input to this script file. I need to have only one .sh file. While calling this.sh file, I will pass the number. The number which satisfies the case number the command in that block gets executed. I am currently on AIX version 6.1

Regards,
Vrushank Patel

Last edited by vrupatel; 06-30-2014 at 07:27 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a script using the case conditional

hello, i am a newbie who is just starting to use liunx, and I need to accept a string from the terminal and use case to echo a suitable message if the string doesn't have at least 10 characters. Also, how would I do the same thing using expr? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerstr1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion over a small conditional script

Hi, I was going through a file containing hundreds of lines of codes having conditional statement written as: log() { echo $@ } num=$(/usr/bin/rsh <one_machine> -l root 'ls -d /home/user/db* 2> /dev/null' | wc -w) (( num > 0 )) && log "db info:" so,if here the return value(stored in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional Date Script

I am learning Unix for the first time. I am playing around with my default profile file to add some script in the KSH. The time format is GMT and I am in eastern time zone. I am trying to script some greetings based upon the time of day using the IF/ELIF conditions. I am getting errors. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpd259
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script for conditional execution

Below is my shell script. I am trying to execute two different BTEQ scripts depending on the day of the week. So on a saturday I will execute a certain BTEQ script and on other weekdays I will run the other script. #!/bin/ksh dt=`date +"%a"` if then bteq > final_output <<- EOF .run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mihirjani
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on shell script conditional execution when CPU Idle > 60%

I need a shell script that will monitor a few conditions and not execute until the these conditions are met. The problem I'm having is that I can not perform a database snapshot (backup) of a sybaseIQ database unless the CPU Status Idle % is above 60% or the snapshot (backup) fails. If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pancona99
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional search and delete using SED / Shell script

Hi, I want to perform a conditional search and remove my search string. Input string: "abcdaabcadgfaarstab" Character to search: "a" Condition: Remove all "a" in the input string except if it is "aa" Output string: "bcdaabcdgfaarstb" Can you please help me in this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dominiclajs
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional Execution of a Script.

I have a unix shell script Test.sh more Test.sh echo "Calling dbquery1.sh...." ./dbquery1.sh echo "Calling dbquery2.sh...." ./dbquery2.sh more dbquery1.sh sqlplus -s user1/password1@DB_SID @/tmp/storedprocedures/Hello.rcp I run Test.sh However, I do not want dbquery2.sh to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Smarter conditional script with Table

Hi, currently I have a script with conditional checking. But it's not flexible to use, because i must create a more conditional script if there are more keyword (see table) required. Question is: Can I create a more smarter script that will be more flexible? I appreciate any help anyone can give... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add conditional check of whether a process is running before doing rest of script?

Hi, I'm looking at doing a cron job for a script that could take a very short time to complete or a very long time to complete based on variable activity on a server. I don't want to do a weird schedule, but I don't want to be so aggressive that the process attempts to start before another... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with conditional clauses for script output

Hello. I am new this site as well as new to shell scripting and this is my first form... Please help me with the following shell script. I am executing a shell script to run every 15 min (scheduled in cronjob) and it gives an output in an output file which is e-mailed. CONCCOUNT=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jamessteevens
1 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)