Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [BASH] Performance question - Script to STDOUT Post 302907545 by sea on Sunday 29th of June 2014 11:40:17 PM
Old 06-30-2014
Thank you Chubbler, will test/play with it after sleep.

Just had another look at the end of the script, and a question arised...
May i add an additional question, and ideas about how to handle more than 3 arguments?
I've had some tries handling that, but never was satisfied with my own solutions/attempts...
Script-Tools / Code / [87ec4b] /Included_Functions/system.interface.cli
Lines:
197-208
and / or
240-254

Which includes the double-quesiton:
How many, and how much must/should the argumental strings be alignent?

This is part of usage and performance, thought its a good question before i go sleep Smilie

-----
EDIT'ed as i'm not sure about it:
Personaly, i've rarley used more than 2, only for display handlers (such as tui-dd/tui-tar/tui-bgjob), i've added a third argument - well of course for the centred title too.

So, as an UI, how man alignments do (would) you need on a text base?
For more than 3 strings, i fail to figure an 'algorythm' without the need to provide empty space strings on several occasions.
I somehow want to support more than the current 3 aligments, yet i'm not sure if its worth the trouble.

That part could/might become (yet another) script/application.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH shell script question

I want to make shell script that takes a list of host names on my network as command line arguments and displays whether the hosts are up or down, using the ping command to display the status of a host and a for loop to process all the host names. Im new to shell scripting so Im not quite sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewarmour
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

one question for bash shell script

Just one question for bash shell script. In bash script, you can use *.txt to call any files in current folder that ends with .txt, like rm *.txt will remove all txt file in current folder. My question is can you actually remember or use the file name among *.txt, I know file=*.txt will not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zx1106
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script question

Hi, I want to create a script that gets a filename as an argument. The script should generate a listing in long list format of the current directory, sorted by file size. This list must be written to a new file by the filename given on the command line. Can someone help me with this? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script question

Can anybody be kind to explaing me what the lines below mean ? eval line=$line export $line ] || echo $line (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash, help with stdout manipulation.

Hey all, Im kind of lost on how to do what I want so I figured I would ask. I want to pipe STDOUT of an app to a log file, but I want to prepend each line of that output with the date and time. Im drawing a complete blank on how to do this?? Any ideas? i.e. output is currently this:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mkbootfs writing to stdout in bash script

Hi, I need to automate some repacking tasks of a boot image for Android When in command line, I can use this command: mkbootfs /path/to/root > /path/to/ramdisk-recovery.cpio;However, if I try to run the command from a shell script under Ubuntu, it fails and outputs to stdout instead of the... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
27 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question in bash script.

Hi All, I need an assistance with the issue below. I wrote big script in "bash" that automatically install an LDAP on Clients. I'd be happy to know in order to avoid duplication of entries in files, How i can define into the script, if the specific expressions already exist in the file, do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aviel.shani
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about writing a bash script

Hello, I want to write a bash script to delete the content after '#'. However, if '#' appears in a string with "", ignore this. For example, input file: test #delete "test #not delete" Output file: test "test #not delete" Does anyone know how to write this script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffwang66
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Iterating Question

I am trying to look through one of my directories to remove certain files. I am pretty new to Unix and bash so I just need a little help in starting this. I know I would have to write two loops one to iterate the directories and one to iterate the files. How would I write the loops? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script search, improve performance with large files

Hello, For several of our scripts we are using awk to search patterns in files with data from other files. This works almost perfectly except that it takes ages to run on larger files. I am wondering if there is a way to speed up this process or have something else that is quicker with the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
15 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)