Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VLANs and their domains
Special Forums IP Networking VLANs and their domains Post 302907504 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 28th of June 2014 07:34:10 PM
Old 06-28-2014
You can create VLANs,not for common communication, but to isolate layer-2 communication from other network objects. Security.

Example:
If I am on VLAN A I may not be able to ssh over to VLAN B. A lot of places will do this with development versus production servers. Code librarians work on VLAN C with access to A and B. DMZ's are another possible example of isolation at the layer-2 level. Layer-1 isolation is the same idea. If bad guys cannot see network object at all it cannot be attacked. Air gap attacks notwithstanding.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple domains

Hello, I have 3 domains virtually hosted "name based" the first one "domain1.com" has its ServerName entered as domain1.com. this domain will load in a browser by www.domain1.com or simply domain1.com. the next two domains "domain2.com" and "domain3.com" ServerNames are listed as domain2.com and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericg
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blocking domains

Dear All , Kindly note I have sun solaries 7 . I want to block a domain who keep sending emails to my domain and users . thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamemi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating domains

ok i am setting up dns or going to do it with solaris 9 once u setup the domain what file can u look @ to see if it setup or not (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Different Nameservers for Different Domains?

I have a system that is connected to a private network with its own DNS (call it "privnet."), and is also connected to the Internet on a separate interface. Is it possible to convince this server to query the private nameserver for the private network's domain (e.g. "host foo.privnet."), and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

vlans

Hi All, I'm trying to configure a vlan interface, to do this I'm using the following command "vconfig add eth0 20". I have my interface up and running, but when I test it using "ping -I eth0.20 192.168.1.1" and in other console use "tcpdump -i eth0.20" I can not see any tagged frame. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX / Etherchannel / VLANs

I have 1 AIX server, 4 dual ported fiber attached ethernet cards and 4 VLANS coming in. Is it possible to present those 8 ports as 1 IP address using etherchannel? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sub domains from report

Hi, I have a report containing severals organization's email address. The address contain several sub domains, and i need to pull those out. mail domain ( example.com) .................. The report column contain mail address in this format : john1@sub1.example.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with VLANs

Hi Gurus, Can anyone explain me what is a Vlan and a Native vlan. How to check the native Vlan on my server having a solaris10 OS. Thanks in advance.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Oracle VMs and VLANs

I've been given an IP address to assign to an ldom that is in a different subnet than the host, and I am looking for assistance in getting it online. I believe I need "VLAN tagging" as found in this link, but I do not understand all of the terminology. My host machine is on subnet 10.25.112.x,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bstring
1 Replies

10. Proxy Server

Linux Networking - VLANs & Multiple IP's

In a "typical" data centre environment (telco, financial services etc), would a Linux OS typically have one IP address connected to one VLAN or would it have many IPs and/or VLANs. I say "Linux OS" as I'm referring to an instance of the OS not necessarily a Host or server. Think Linux OS = VM in a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCB
9 Replies
VLAN(7) 						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						   VLAN(7)

NAME
VLAN - virtual local area network DESCRIPTION
This manpage provides a brief overview of VLAN (virtual LAN) technology. VLANs are logical, or network segments that can span multiple physical network segments. A primary benefit of VLANs is that they can iso- late broadcast and multicast traffic by determining which destinations should receive that traffic, thereby making better use of switch and end-station resources. Logical separation using VLAN allows for the logical grouping of PCs, servers and other network resources to behave as if they were con- nected to the same, physical segment, even if they are not. HP-UX VLAN is an implementation of IEEE 802.1p/Q standards. VLAN interfaces can be configured in HP-UX servers using the command (see nwmgr_vlan(1M)) or (see lanadmin_vlan(1M)). HP recommends that you use for HP-UX Release 11i Version 3 and forward. Interfaces can also be configured using the web-based management tool HP-UX System Management Homepage (HP SMH). Each VLAN interface created is assigned a VLAN PPA (VPPA) that is unique across the system and a VLAN ID, that identifies the virtual LAN it is part of. The VLAN ID is unique on the interface on which the VLAN interface is created. WARNINGS
The and commands are deprecated. These commands will be removed in a future HP-UX release. HP recommends the use of replacement command nwmgr(1M) to perform all network interface-related tasks. SEE ALSO
lanadmin(1M), lanadmin_vlan(1M), lanscan(1M), nwmgr(1M), nwmgr_vlan(1M), smh(1M). IEEE 802.1p, IEEE 802.1Q VLAN(7)