Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Mutt from address and hostname Post 302907374 by Papa Lee on Friday 27th of June 2014 11:48:16 AM
Old 06-27-2014
Mutt from address and hostname

Mutt 1.2.3.1i
AIX 5.3.12.1

We need to send email to external addresses. But are having problems with the sent-from hostname. They're going out with @server.mycompany.com. We need them to be @mycompany.com.

I'm setting from and hostname with -e 'set from="From Address<from.address@mycompany.com>" hostname="mycompany.com"' to no avail.

How do we solve this?

TIA,
Lee Carlson

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP address/hostname problem

I have a problem that when I am pinging with the IP address it is giving me whether a server is alive or not but when I am trying it with hostname it is giving unknown host I have checked in /etc/hosts file and the IP address and hostname are both there...still the problem is there.. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uLearner
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Hostname and Return IP Address

Dear Experts, I have a text file on my itanium box which contains list of nearly 1000 hostnames. I do not have the IP Address of them. I want read each entry from the text file and want to do a nslookup to the DNS Server and get the IP Adresses and put them in another file in the format... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert IP address (within a line) to hostname

I have a tricky problem, and I'm quite the scripting newb. I have Cisco ACLs that have IP addresses in them. I'd like to convert the IP's to hostnames for easier analysis. A sample ACL input file would be (I've obfuscated the IPs): access-list acl-secure-out line 1 extended permit icmp any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scolazz
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routing or Iptables connections by hostname or ip address

edit; I found a solution that works, see thread #3 https://www.unix.com/302417065-post3.html Hi there, I have a small dedicated server that has four ip addresses and by default my httpd sends request using the servers main ip for all outbound connections. I'm quite amateur at routing and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mooofa
4 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get return code from mutt if an address is invalid/undeliverable from Unix shell script

I am using mutt on ksh Unix to send emails to addresses plucked from the database. If the "To:" email address is not longer valid and so the email is not sent to the "To:" recipient, but is sent to the valid cc address, I need to be able to get an error code returned to the shell script so that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzuber
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the sender's name or E-mail address in mutt command

Can any one help me in this ??? How to change sender's name or email address in Mutt command??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathi
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - How to get IP Address from a hostname?

We are using Solaris as our database OS. Can you please help me to know how can i get the IP address of a solaris machine in my network from its hostname? e.g. We have a remote database server with the hostname as xyz. Without connecting to the database OS, can i get the IP address of xyz OS from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anmol Sharma
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX How to exchange hostname and IP address between two AIX servers?

Hi all, I am trying to exchange hostname and IP address of two AIX machines. But i am confused as how to change it ? do i need to use "smitty mktcpip" or "smitty tcpip" ? what is the difference between smitty mktcpip and smitty tcpip ? Also anymore steps to follow or just updating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
3 Replies

10. Solaris

SMTP relay one (1) hostname with two (2) IP Address

Hi, Anyone can help? Currently : I'm am using a smtp smart relay, 1 hostname but different IP Address 192.168.2.108 and 192.168.2.109). I'm using "smtp.mailhostname.com mailhost" and having an IP Address 192.168.2.108, but there is a certain minutes/seconds that the IP Address will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
mutt(1) 							   User Manuals 							   mutt(1)

NAME
mutt - The Mutt Mail User Agent SYNOPSIS
mutt [-nRyzZ] [-e cmd] [-F file] [-m type] [-f file] mutt [-nx] [-e cmd] [-F file] [-H file] [-i file] [-s subj] [-b addr] [-c addr] [-a file [...] --] addr [...] mutt [-nx] [-e cmd] [-F file] [-s subj] [-b addr] [-c addr] [-a file [...] --] addr [...] < message mutt [-n] [-e cmd] [-F file] -p mutt [-n] [-e cmd] [-F file] -A alias mutt [-n] [-e cmd] [-F file] -Q query mutt -v[v] mutt -D DESCRIPTION
Mutt is a small but very powerful text based program for reading and sending electronic mail under unix operating systems, including sup- port for color terminals, MIME, OpenPGP, and a threaded sorting mode. Note: This manual page gives a brief overview of mutt's command line options. You should find a copy of the full manual in /usr/share/doc/packages/mutt, in text, HTML, and/or PDF format. OPTIONS
-A alias An expanded version of the given alias is passed to stdout. -a file [...] Attach a file to your message using MIME. When attaching single or multiple files, separating filenames and recipient addresses with "--" is mandatory, e.g. mutt -a image.jpg -- addr1 or mutt -a img.jpg *.png -- addr1 addr2. The -a option must be placed at the end of command line options. -b address Specify a blind-carbon-copy (BCC) recipient -c address Specify a carbon-copy (CC) recipient -d level If mutt was complied with +DEBUG log debugging output to ~/.muttdebug0. Level can range from 1-5 and effects verbosity. A value of 2 is recommended. -D Print the value of all configuration options to stdout. -e command Specify a configuration command to be run after processing of initialization files. -f mailbox Specify which mailbox to load. -F muttrc Specify an initialization file to read instead of ~/.muttrc -h Display help. -H draft Specify a draft file which contains header and body to use to send a message. -i include Specify a file to include into the body of a message. -m type specify a default mailbox type for newly created folders. -n Causes Mutt to bypass the system configuration file. -p Resume a postponed message. -Q query Query a configuration variables value. The query is executed after all configuration files have been parsed, and any commands given on the command line have been executed. -R Open a mailbox in read-only mode. -s subject Specify the subject of the message. -v Display the Mutt version number and compile-time definitions. -vv Display license and copyright information. -x Emulate the mailx compose mode. -y Start Mutt with a listing of all mailboxes specified by the mailboxes command. -z When used with -f, causes Mutt not to start if there are no messages in the mailbox. -Z Causes Mutt to open the first mailbox specified by the mailboxes command which contains new mail. -- Treat remaining arguments as addr even if they start with a dash. See also "-a" above. ENVIRONMENT
EDITOR Specifies the editor to use if VISUAL is unset. EMAIL The user's e-mail address. HOME Full path of the user's home directory. MAIL Full path of the user's spool mailbox. MAILDIR Full path of the user's spool mailbox if MAIL is unset. Commonly used when the spool mailbox is a maildir (5) folder. MAILCAPS Path to search for mailcap files. MM_NOASK If this variable is set, mailcap are always used without prompting first. PGPPATH Directory in which the user's PGP public keyring can be found. TMPDIR Directory in which temporary files are created. REPLYTO Default Reply-To address. VISUAL Specifies the editor to use when composing messages. FILES
~/.muttrc or ~/.mutt/muttrc User configuration file. /etc/Muttrc System-wide configuration file. /tmp/muttXXXXXX Temporary files created by Mutt. ~/.mailcap User definition for handling non-text MIME types. /etc/mailcap System definition for handling non-text MIME types. ~/.mime.types User's personal mapping between MIME types and file extensions. /etc/mime.types System mapping between MIME types and file extensions. /usr/bin/mutt_dotlock The privileged dotlocking program. /usr/share/doc/packages/mutt/manual.txt The Mutt manual. BUGS
None. Mutts have fleas, not bugs. FLEAS
Suspend/resume while editing a file with an external editor does not work under SunOS 4.x if you use the curses lib in /usr/5lib. It does work with the S-Lang library, however. Resizing the screen while using an external pager causes Mutt to go haywire on some systems. Suspend/resume does not work under Ultrix. The help line for the index menu is not updated if you change the bindings for one of the functions listed while Mutt is running. For a more up-to-date list of bugs, errm, fleas, please visit the mutt project's bug tracking system under http://bugs.mutt.org/. NO WARRANTIES
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. SEE ALSO
curses(3), mailcap(5), maildir(5), mbox(5), mutt_dotlock(1), muttrc(5), ncurses(3), sendmail(1), smail(1). Mutt Home Page: http://www.mutt.org/ The Mutt manual AUTHOR
Michael Elkins, and others. Use <mutt-dev@mutt.org> to contact the developers. Unix January 2009 mutt(1)