Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Source IP not in my ftpd debug logs Post 302907366 by kah00na on Friday 27th of June 2014 11:20:13 AM
Old 06-27-2014
Source IP not in my ftpd debug logs

I have random connections coming into my FTP server, but the source IP is not showing up in my logs. Here is what my logs look for me trying to connect as a "whatever" user that doesn't exist. You can see there is no source IP telling me where this connection came from:

Code:
Jun 27 10:13:40 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: <--- 220
Jun 27 10:13:40 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: hostname FTP server (Version 4.2 Mon Dec 3 12:04:40 CST 2012) ready.
Jun 27 10:13:48 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: command: USER whatever^M
Jun 27 10:13:48 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: <--- 331
Jun 27 10:13:48 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: Password required for whatever.
Jun 27 10:13:56 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: command: PASS
Jun 27 10:13:56 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: <--- 530
Jun 27 10:13:56 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: Login incorrect.
Jun 27 10:14:00 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: command: QUIT^M
Jun 27 10:14:00 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: <--- 221
Jun 27 10:14:00 hostname daemon:debug ftpd[7733374]: Goodbye.

Here's my ftp entry in the inetd.conf file:
Code:
hostname:/:$ grep ^ftp /etc/inetd.conf
ftp     stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ftpd  ftpd -u 002 -d

Here's my daemon.debug entry in my syslog.conf:
Code:
hostname:/:$ grep ^daemon.debug /etc/syslog.conf
daemon.debug    /var/log/syslogs/syslog.daemon.debug     rotate size 30m files 5  # maintain 5 files, 30M each

Is there something else I need to enable to get more detailed logs so I can see the source IP of where connections are coming from?

Last edited by kah00na; 06-27-2014 at 01:29 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wu-ftpd question

ya i was wondering if there was anyone out there who could show me a good how to page on wu-ftpd ...im running RH 7.1 and i have the update of wu i just need to know how to use it and configure it so the users are limited to their dir and not the whole system .....any help will do ..thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mista_king
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftpd message

hello, On my AIX server 4.3.3.0 the following message appears on the screen: ftpd :Failed dlopen :/usr/lib/libpag.a(shr.o):a file or directory in the path name does not exist. Please help, Thanks . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eyounes
1 Replies

3. Programming

How to debug C source file using GVD debugger

Anyone pls. help !!! I want to debug C source file using GVD debugger. However, I am unable to find the way to debug source files. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: argupta
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Turning in.ftpd on and off

For two straight days someone was running in.ftpd in my server (apparently looking to break in) and when I would do "top" almost every line would read "in.ftpd". I had a unix sysadmin friend of mine shut it down and then start it back up in a day and a half and all seems OK for now. Here's what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomi39
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to check if a file ftpd to mainframe was actually ftpd

Hi All, I am ftping a file from unix to mainframe. Now the problem arises that i want to check if the file was ftpd or not. Is there any way i could do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.rao11
4 Replies

6. Linux

wu-ftpd

Hello everyone! I looking for wu-ftpd latest rpm or sorce package. Anyone have idea where i can find? I need to install on Centos 5. please help. -thanks, :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: email-lalit
4 Replies

7. Programming

Compile and debug Vim source code

Hi, I want to debug Vim source code with GDB but I can't get it. It seems to run without debugger. Here is my try. I have supressed output of most commands. Tell me if you need them. $ uname -mor 2.6.37-ARCH i686 GNU/Linux $ mkdir ~/birei && cd ~/birei $ wget... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: birei
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Ftpd alarms

Hi, I am facing following alarms in var/adm/messages after an interval of 10 mins. I dont know what the impact is and how can i fix it. Can anyone help please? Dec 4 07:50:03 hxcsvc-a01 ftpd: open_module: stat(/usr/lib/security/pam_unix_session.so.1) failed: No such file or directory Dec ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sni_engineer
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cd \bad-directory ; source junk.1 logs me off!

Dear Gentle Folk, I thought I knew unix/bash etc. The compound statement USING TCSH! cd /lkjsdf ; source junk.1 completes and then logs me off IF the cd directory does not exist. It works fine if the directory does exist. Why is this and how do I fix it. It doesn't matter what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: homerwsmith
1 Replies
ftpaddhost(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    ftpaddhost(1M)

NAME
ftpaddhost - set up a virtual FTP host SYNOPSIS
ftpaddhost -c | -l [-b] [-x xferlog] hostname root_dir DESCRIPTION
The ftpaddhost script is executed by the super user to set up virtual FTP hosts. The ftpaddhost command configures the virtual host host- name under directory root_dir. The value of hostname can be an IP address or the name of a host. OPTIONS
The ftpaddhost script supports the following options: -b Create a banner for the virtual host. This option is useful to confirm that the virtual host is working. -c Configure complete virtual hosting. This option allows each virtual host to have its own version of the ftpaccess, ftpconversions, ftpgroups, ftphosts, and ftpusers files. The master version of each of these configuration files is copied from the /etc/ftpd directory and placed in the /etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/hostname directory. If the /etc/ftpusers file exists it is appended to the virtual ftpusers file. If a virtual host lacks its own version of a configuration file, the master version is used. -l Configure limited virtual hosting. This option allows a small number of parameters to be configured differently for a virtual host. See the virtual keyword on the ftpaccess(4) manual page. -x xferlog Create a logfile entry such that the transfer logs for the virtual host are written to the specified file. An abso- lute path must be specified for the xferlog file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: hostname The host name or IP address of the virtual server. root_dir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the virtual server is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed FILES
/etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/hostname The configuration files directory for the virtual host hostname. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpconfig(1M), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftpconversions(4), ftpgroups(4), ftphosts(4), ftpusers(4), xferlog(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpaddhost(1M)