Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search/Replace in multiple files recursively Post 302907341 by zaino22 on Friday 27th of June 2014 09:52:04 AM
Old 06-27-2014
Sorry I didn't get a chance to thank you. It worked like a charm, and it ran pretty fast. I am novice to Unix and most of the syntax is unfamiliar with.

Whenever you get a chance, could you please quickly explain the following code, I'd like to understand how it worked so I can try using it next time.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
IAm=${0##*/}         #what is this one used for? #
searchDir="/home"
searchRE='search string'
rep='replace string'
tmpf="/tmp/$IAm.$$"   
trap 'rm -f "$tmpf"' EXIT  #when does it get used? I thought it would be used within while loop?

find "$searchDir" -type f -name '*.ksh' -exec grep -l "$searchRE" {} + |  #what "{}" is used for?
while read -r file
do	if sed "s|$searchRE|$rep|g" "$file" >  "$tmpf"
	then	cp "$tmpf" "$file"
	fi
done

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks

Last edited by vbe; 06-27-2014 at 11:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace in multiple files in directory hierarchy

Hello all I need to search and replace in multiple files that are in directory hierarchy Im using the : find . -name "*.dsp" -print | xargs grep -n -o Test.lib" , I like to be able to replace every instance of Test.lib with empty space . how can I write one liner that does this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a search string recursively in files

Hi , I have a directory structure as dir and subdirectories and files under it and so on.now I need to find the files which contain the search string under every dir and subdir and replace . my search string is like searchstring=/a/b string to be replaced=/a/c/b please help. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex Search/Replace Multiple Files Script Needed

I have a rather complicated search and replace I need to do among several dozen files and over a hundred occurrences. My site is written in PHP and throughout the old code, you will find things like die("Operation Aborted due to....."); For my new design skins for the site, I need to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search and replace recursively

Hi, I tried making a shell script which recursively search in a given directory for all files *.txt and then search and replace some text and after that save each file as $filename.dynamips.txt I would like to get this done with sed. I tried but couldn't get it to work. BTW this is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2bone
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global search and replace across multiple files

Hi all I'm in need of a command which can replace a specified string with another string - across multiple files within multiple sub-directories (I intend to run it from / ) I've used the following to get a list of the files: find . | xargs grep <string1> But that's as far as I've got.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and replace in multiple files.

Hello. I have five config files in /etc that I want to edit in one click for testing. I would like to make a script like this : #!/bin/bash # a_file="/etc/file_1" src_str="src_string_1" rpl_str="rpl_string_1" calling_sed_or_awk_or_whatelse $a_file search_for_all $src_str replace_with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: search replace in multiple files

When I use special characters the command to replace multiple files with a string pattern does nt work. ---------- Post updated at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:38 AM ---------- This works perl -pi -e 's/100/test/g' * This does nt work perl -pi -e 's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w020637
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace in multiple files

Hello, I have hundreds of files in which I need to change email address. Here is what I am trying to do: 1. All text files are in a directory "a" 2. In the text file, I want to replace email address for preparer. All these lines start with {{PreparerEmail and end with }}. The email... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace in Multiple Files by reading a input file

I have a environment property file which contains: Input file: value1 = url1 value2 = url2 value3 = url3 and so on. I need to search all *.xml files under directory for value1 and replace it with url1. Same thing I have to do for all values mentioned in input file. I need script in unix bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
7 Replies
QSUBST(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 QSUBST(1)

NAME
qsubst -- query-replace strings in files SYNOPSIS
qsubst str1 str2 [flags] file [file [...]] DESCRIPTION
qsubst reads its options (see below) to get a list of files. For each file on this list, it then replaces str1 with str2 wherever possible in that file, depending on user input (see below). The result is written back onto the original file. For each potential substitution found, the user is prompted with a few lines before and after the line containing the string to be substi- tuted. The string itself is displayed using the terminal's standout mode, if any. Then one character is read from the terminal. This is then interpreted as follows (this is designed to be like Emacs' query-replace-string): space Replace this occurrence and go on to the next one. . Replace this occurrence and don't change any more in this file (i.e., go on to the next file). , Tentatively replace this occurrence. The lines as they would look if the substitution were made are printed out. Then another character is read and it is used to decide the result as if the tentative replacement had not happened. n Don't change this one; just go on to the next one. ^G Don't change this one or any others in this file, but instead simply go on to the next file. ! Change the rest in this file without asking, then go on to the next file (at which point qsubst will start asking again). ? Print out the current filename and ask again. The first two arguments to qsubst are always the string to replace and the string to replace it with. The options are as follows: -w The search string is considered as a C symbol; it must be bounded by non-symbol characters. This option toggles. ('w' for 'word'.) -! -go -noask Enter ! mode automatically at the beginning of each file. -nogo -ask Negate -go, that is, ask as usual. -cN (Where N is a number.) Give N lines of context above and below the line with the match when prompting the user. -CAN (Where N is a number.) Give N lines of context above the line with the match when prompting the user. -CBN (Where N is a number.) Give N lines of context below the line with the match when prompting the user. -f filename The filename argument is one of the files qsubst should perform substitutions in. -F filename qsubst reads filename to get the names of files to perform substitutions in. The names should appear one to a line. The default amount of context is -c2, that is, two lines above and two lines below the line with the match. Arguments not beginning with a - sign in the options field are implicitly preceded by -f. Thus, -f is really needed only when the file name begins with a - sign. qsubst reads its options in order and processes files as it gets them. This means, for example, that a -go will affect only files named after the -go. The most context you can get is ten lines each, above and below. str1 is limited to 512 characters; there is no limit on the size of str2. Neither one may contain a NUL. NULs in the file may cause qsubst to make various mistakes. If any other program modifies the file while qsubst is running, all bets are off. AUTHORS
der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca> BSD
September 4, 1999 BSD