Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time Post 302907339 by joeyg on Friday 27th of June 2014 09:48:01 AM
Old 06-27-2014
May be hard to execute any kind of cleanup with new data added every second.

One theory for cleanup...
determine the line count, assuming each update is on its own line
divide that number in half
use a tail command to copy the 2nd half of the list to a new file
then copy it back to the original filename

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log users real time

hi.... how i can configurator a log file on real time....on unix solaris.... thanks a lot.... Best Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piped open not real-time - How would one handle live data?

When I run "/etc/myApp" I am presented with continuous output, just about once per second. However when I try to get the information in Perl via a piped open, it waits till the end to give me anything... my code: open (OUTPUT,"/etc/myApp |"); while (<OUTPUT>){ print $_; }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real time log file redirect

Hi all, i would like to write the shell script program, it can monitor the access_log "real time" when the access_log writing the line contain "abcdef" the program will be "COPY" this line into a file named "abcdef.txt", do the same thing if the contain "123456" "COPY" it into a file named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP-UX real time audit log writing

Hey all, I have a problem I was hoping to get some help on. So I have my two auditfiles, audfile1 and audfile2 that can be written to, I want to have the text version of them write to an NFS mount that I have set up. So i already know that i can do .secure/etc/audsp audfile1 > //nfsmount/folder/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CleverRiver6
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] How to see log in real time?

Hi people I have a bash script with a line like this: python example.py >> log & But i can't see anything in the log file while python program is running only if the program ends seems to write the log file. "$ cat log" for example don't show anything until the program ends. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tieso
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read a fast written log file at Real time speed?

Hello All, I am building a real time parser for a log file in my application. The log file is continuously written at a very fast pace and gets rolled over every 10 minutes. I have measured the speed and observed that around 1000 lines are written to it every second, each line about 30-40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies
gnome-cleanup(1)						   User Commands						  gnome-cleanup(1)

NAME
gnome-cleanup - cleans GNOME user preferences SYNOPSIS
gnome-cleanup user DESCRIPTION
gnome-cleanup erases all GNOME user preferences, returning the user to the default look and feel. This can be used to undo undesired pref- erence settings, or to correct the desktop if the preferences become corrupt. The GNOME preference files are automatically recreated the next time the user logs into a GNOME session. By default this program erases the configuration files for the user running the command. However, a different user can be specified on the command line. Of course, configuration files are only erased if the user running gnome- cleanup has appropriate file permissions to erase the user's configuration files. gnome-cleanup will display a listing of all preference files that it will erase before erasing any files, and prompts the user to confirm that they would like to erase these files. Files are erase only after receiving a positive confirmation from the user. gnome-cleanup cannot be run while logged into a GNOME session. Users should run this program when logged into another session, for exam- ple, the Failsafe session. If the user tries to run this program while already logged into GNOME, an error message is displayed. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: user Specify the user whose configuration files will be erased. The files will only be erased if the user running gnome-cleanup has file permissions to erase the user's configuration files. This is useful, for example, if you want to run the script as the root user to erase the configuration files for a specific user. If user is not specified, the user is the same as the user who runs the gnome-cleanup command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Erase GNOME user preferences example% gnome-cleanup After displaying a list of preference files that will be erase, the following question is displayed: Do you wish to remove these files (Y/N) The files are erase only if the user provides a positive response. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-cleanup Executable for GNOME cleanup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-panel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2007. SunOS 5.11 27 Nov 2007 gnome-cleanup(1)