Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can i comma-delimited last field in line? Post 302907075 by RudiC on Wednesday 25th of June 2014 03:19:05 PM
Old 06-25-2014
That bracket expression is not, hm, invalid, but it might not match what you intend it to: it will match "a", "A", ALL chars from "0" to "z" (which includes a, A, Z, 9, but also e.g. "=" and "[", and, maybe some locale chars), then "Z" and "9". Make it [0-9A-Za-z] to include exactly those ranges.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a nth field from a comma delimited file

Hi, In my file (which is "," delimited and text qualifier is "), I have to extract a particualr field. file1: 1,"aa,b",4 expected is the 2nd field: aa,b I tried the basic cut -d "," -f 2 file 1, this gave me aa alone instead aa,b. A small hint ot help on this will be very... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract field delimited by comma and store into an array?

hi, i have a variable which contains some file names separated by comma. example FNAME="abc.txt,def.txt,ghi.txt" i want to extract each filename and store it into an array and also count the number of files in the array. file=abc.txt file=def.txt file=ghi.txt i thought of using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a field separator (comma) inside a line of a CSV file

Hi... I can't find my little red AWK book and it's been a long while since I've awk'd. But I need to take a CSV file and convert the first word of the fifth field to its own field by replacing a space with a comma. This is for importing a spreadsheet of issues into JIRA... Example: a line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tawpie
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change a line of text to a comma delimited string?

Hi, Is there a one-liner that I can use to change a line of text into a comma delimited string? For example, convert user1 user2 user3 user4to user1,user2,user3,user4Currently using while read x, although got the extra comma at the end that I have to remove manually. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse comma separated field and removing comma in between number and double quotes

Hi Experts, Please support I have below data in file in comma seperated, but 4th column is containing comma in between numbers, bcz of which when i tried to parse the file the column 6th value(5049641141) is being removed from the file and value(222.82) in column 5 becoming value of column6. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
3 Replies
regsub(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 regsub(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
regsub - Perform substitutions based on regular expression pattern matching SYNOPSIS
regsub ?switches? exp string subSpec varName _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command matches the regular expression exp against string, and it copies string to the variable whose name is given by varName. (Reg- ular expression matching is described in the re_syntax reference page.) If there is a match, then while copying string to varName the por- tion of string that matched exp is replaced with subSpec. If subSpec contains a ``&'' or ``'', then it is replaced in the substitution with the portion of string that matched exp. If subSpec contains a `` '', where n is a digit between 1 and 9, then it is replaced in the substitution with the portion of string that matched the n-th parenthesized subexpression of exp. Additional backslashes may be used in subSpec to prevent special interpretation of ``&'' or ``'' or `` '' or backslash. The use of backslashes in subSpec tends to interact badly with the Tcl parser's use of backslashes, so it's generally safest to enclose subSpec in braces if it includes backslashes. If the initial arguments to regexp start with - then they are treated as switches. The following switches are currently supported: -all All ranges in string that match exp are found and substitution is performed for each of these ranges. Without this switch only the first matching range is found and substituted. If -all is specified, then ``&'' and `` '' sequences are handled for each substitution using the information from the corresponding match. -expanded Enables use of the expanded regular expression syntax where whitespace and comments are ignored. This is the same as speci- fying the (?x) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -line Enables newline-sensitive matching. By default, newline is a completely ordinary character with no special meaning. With this flag, `[^' bracket expressions and `.' never match newline, `^' matches an empty string after any newline in addition to its normal function, and `$' matches an empty string before any newline in addition to its normal function. This flag is equivalent to specifying both -linestop and -lineanchor, or the (?n) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -linestop Changes the behavior of `[^' bracket expressions and `.' so that they stop at newlines. This is the same as specifying the (?p) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -lineanchor Changes the behavior of `^' and `$' (the ``anchors'') so they match the beginning and end of a line respectively. This is the same as specifying the (?w) embedded option (see METASYNTAX, below). -nocase Upper-case characters in string will be converted to lower-case before matching against exp; however, substitutions specified by subSpec use the original unconverted form of string. | -start index | Specifies a character index offset into the string to start matching the regular expression at. When using this switch, `^' will | not match the beginning of the line, and A will still match the start of the string at index. index will be constrained to the | bounds of the input string. -- Marks the end of switches. The argument following this one will be treated as exp even if it starts with a -. The command returns a count of the number of matching ranges that were found and replaced. See the manual entry for regexp for details on the interpretation of regular expressions. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), re_syntax(n) KEYWORDS
match, pattern, regular expression, substitute Tcl 8.3 regsub(n)