Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Improvement in shell script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Improvement in shell script Post 302906365 by rbatte1 on Thursday 19th of June 2014 06:47:00 AM
Old 06-19-2014
You could simplify the echo/read lines at the beginning:-
Code:
read var?"My prompt:- "

I agree with bakunin though, why is size important? Clear coding that is flexible if you need to adjust it later is far more important. As an exercise I once wrote a menu system in 60 lines no longer than 80 bytes just so I could print it on a single sheet.

It works just fine and was actually used for a production application, but I can hardly read it back now Smilie

Write out your logic, then work out the functions. Finally write your code to match your design and put useful comments in. Make it readable.

Also, make sure you do thorough error checking. Imagine if you issue a cd to a directory that does not exist, and then an rm * You might just destroy your home directory or wherever you were Smilie

Size should not be an issue. A neat way does not necessarily mean it will be smaller code, for example, using a loop to read a file and then use a single echo .... | cut .... command to extract the data from the line can be a single line, but using two or three variable substitutions may run far faster even if it does take more lines of code.

Sometimes, bigger is better Smilie

Robin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File - reading - Performance improvement

Hi All I am reading a huge file of size 2GB atleast. I am reading each line and cutting certain columns and writing it to another file. Here is the logic. int main() { string u_line; string Char_List; string u_file; int line_pos; string temp_form_u_file; ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script ready but might need some improvement.

Hi All, I have written a script which does some editing in the files, based on user input.This might not be the most elegant way of doing it and there would be many improvements needed. Please go through it and let me know how it could be improved. Suggestions are welcome!! Thanks!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any improvement possible in this script

Hi! Thank you for the help yesterday This is the finished product There is one more thing I would like to do to it but I’m not to certain On how to proceed I would like to log all output to a log in order to Be able to roll back This script is meant to be used in repairing a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for improvement to script that compresses a directory that is 2 months old

I write reports daily to a directory that is named with the month and year. I wanted to compress all but the last two months worth of these directories to save space. I am going to cron a job to run on the first of each month to do this clean up. I didn't have zip/unzip on my AIX environment so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slatoms
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux os improvement

can anyone help to share the knowledge on linux os improvement? 1) os account - use window AD authentication, such as ldap, but how to set /etc/passwd, where to put user home? 2) user account activity - how to log os user activity share the idea and what tools can do that...thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbid
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need the improvement for my script

Hi All, Here is my script #! /bin/sh var1=some email id var2=some email id grep -i "FAILED FILE FORMAT VALIDATION" /opt >tmp2 diff tmp1 tmp2 | grep ">" >tmp3 if then cat tmp3 | mailx -s " Error Monitoring" $var2 else echo "Pattern NOt Found" | mailx -s " Error Monitoring" $var1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopalak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance improvement in grep

Below script is used to search numeric data from around 400 files in a folder. I have 300 such folders. Need help in performance improvement in the script. Below Script searches 20 such folders ( 300 files in each folder) simultaneously. This increases cpu utilization upto 90% What changes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies
SNMP_CONFIG(5)							     Net-SNMP							    SNMP_CONFIG(5)

NAME
snmp_config - handling of Net-SNMP configuration files DESCRIPTION
The Net-SNMP package uses various configuration files to configure its applications. This manual page merely describes the overall nature of them, so that the other manual pages don't have to. DIRECTORIES SEARCHED
First off, there are numerous places that configuration files can be found and read from. By default, the applications look for configura- tion files in the following 4 directories, in order: /etc/snmp, /usr/share/snmp, /usr/lib64/snmp, and $HOME/.snmp. In each of these direc- tories, it looks for files with the extension of both conf and local.conf (reading the second ones last). In this manner, there are 8 default places a configuration file can exist for any given configuration file type. Additionally, the above default search path can be overridden by setting the environment variable SNMPCONFPATH to a colon-separated list of directories to search for. The path for the persistent data should be included when running applications that use persistent storage, such as snmpd. Applications will read persistent configuration files in the following order of preference: file in SNMP_PERSISTENT_FILE environment variable directories in SNMPCONFPATH environment variable directory defined by persistentDir snmp.conf variable directory in SNMP_PERSISTENT_DIR environment variable default /var/lib/net-snmp directory Finally, applications will write persistent configuration files in the following order of preference: file in SNMP_PERSISTENT_FILE environment variable directory defined by persistentDir snmp.conf variable directory in SNMP_PERSISTENT_DIR environment variable default /var/lib/net-snmp directory Note: When using SNMP_PERSISTENT_FILE, the filename should match the application name. For example, /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf. CONFIGURATION FILE TYPES
Each application may use multiple configuration files, which will configure various different aspects of the application. For instance, the SNMP agent (snmpd) knows how to understand configuration directives in both the snmpd.conf and the snmp.conf files. In fact, most applications understand how to read the contents of the snmp.conf files. Note, however, that configuration directives understood in one file may not be understood in another file. For further information, read the associated manual page with each configuration file type. Also, most of the applications support a -H switch on the command line that will list the configuration files it will look for and the directives in each one that it understands. The snmp.conf configuration file is intended to be a application suite wide configuration file that supports directives that are useful for controlling the fundamental nature of all of the SNMP applications, such as how they all manipulate and parse the textual SNMP MIB files. SWITCHING CONFIGURATION TYPES IN MID-FILE It's possible to switch in mid-file the configuration type that the parser is supposed to be reading. Since that sentence doesn't make much sense, lets give you an example: say that you wanted to turn on packet dumping output for the agent by default, but you didn't want to do that for the rest of the applications (ie, snmpget, snmpwalk, ...). Normally to enable packet dumping in the configuration file you'd need to put a line like: dumpPacket true into the snmp.conf file. But, this would turn it on for all of the applications. So, instead, you can put the same line in the snmpd.conf file so that it only applies to the snmpd daemon. However, you need to tell the parser to expect this line. You do this by putting a spe- cial type specification token inside a [] set. In other words, inside your snmpd.conf file you could put the above snmp.conf directive by adding a line like so: [snmp] dumpPacket true This tells the parser to parse the above line as if it were inside a snmp.conf file instead of an snmpd.conf file. If you want to parse a bunch of lines rather than just one then you can make the context switch apply to the remainder of the file or until the next context switch directive by putting the special token on a line by itself: # make this file handle snmp.conf tokens: [snmp] dumpPacket true logTimestamp true # return to our original snmpd.conf tokens: [snmpd] rocommunity mypublic COMMENTS
Any lines beginning with the character '#' in the configuration files are treated as a comment and are not parsed. API INTERFACE
Information about writing C code that makes use of this system in either the agent's MIB modules or in applications can be found in the read_config(3) manual page. SEE ALSO
snmpconf(1), read_config(3), snmp.conf(5), snmpd.conf(5) 4th Berkeley Distribution 5 May 2005 SNMP_CONFIG(5)