Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris V240 no OBP or console available Post 302906275 by DanielSluder on Wednesday 18th of June 2014 03:49:14 PM
Old 06-18-2014
Console settings are set to 9600 8-N-1

I figure if I can see the SC console settings are correct, right?

Also interesting to note, I received a new chassis, and am able to get the OBP but still not getting any visuals on the monitor. I was receiving similar issues to the old chassis until I changed the keyswitch to diagnostics and it came up perfectly. I may try on the old chassis to see if it works out.

---------- Post updated at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:28 AM ----------

Okay.... I have resolved the issue. I feel really dumb about it, the reason I'm posting is in case someone else down the line has a similar issue....

Apparently V240 CPU slots have a little silver lever next to them. You have to pull the lever up, place the CPU in, and lower the lever flush with the motherboard.

I feel very dumb, but this has been an excellent learning experience, and I thank all who participated.
This User Gave Thanks to DanielSluder For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OBP saying boot is disabled??

Hi all, need your help again :P I am trying to build a server in work, and it comes up with the OBP (Open Boot Prompt) and when i try and install the cdrom "boot cdrom -s" it throws back the following error: "System is not bootable, boot command is disabled" This is trying to install... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SemperFi
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Enter to OBP

Hello, today i'm comment in /etc/vfstab fs /usr and my server load in SingleUser without anything commands :( How i can enter to OBP from # ? or ILOM ? I'm try CTRL+BREAK (F5) , CTRL+ALT+BREAK (F5) and #. but it's don't help me :(((( (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
5 Replies

3. Solaris

OBP on Solaris 10-intel

Hi All, How can I go to OBP on Solaris 10-intel? I tried doing ctrl+c or ctrl+break, it won't go to the "ok" prompt. Thanks in advance, itik (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
6 Replies

4. Solaris

OBP search...

Hello experts... In OBP(OK prompt)... How can i know whole command if i know part of a command? Thanks in advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

6. Solaris

OBP update

hi all i am using sun blade 150 (sparc) running solaris 5.10 on that. How can i update the OBP firmware? where cai download the latest (compatible) version for this hardware? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingston
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OBP explained.

Hi Gurus, Correct me if I am wrong. Booting an OS means loading it in memory . What is OBP in solaris. If we are typing some commands at ok> where are we actually do that. What is the difference between frimware and OBP. I know I am asking silly things but I need answers. :):) Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with OBP.

Hi Gurus, I am totally confused :wall: . I have some questions regarding OBP,EEPROMand NVRAM, BIOS. What actually are these how do they function and interact on a Sparc based solaris system. What is ok> ? What is system Firmware ? How does the system startup? Trying to google... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
8 Replies

9. Solaris

[SOLVED] Console connection to V240

My apologies if this is posted/answered elsewhere. I have recently been tasked with getting 2 Sun V240's running Solaris 10 up and working. I should mention I come from the programming side of life with a small amount of networking on Windows 2003 servers. They boot, no error lights, hd's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuriosity_prime
6 Replies

10. Solaris

T4-2 OBP problem

Hi can anyone help me Got a T4-2, when I try to save any enviroment varaible at the OBP for instance auto-boot false or output-device screen I get the error: Warning: Error storing configuration. No space left, check SP and other logs. Cleared the SP logs (well only ones I could find) did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
4 Replies
HOSTNAMECTL(1)							    hostnamectl 						    HOSTNAMECTL(1)

NAME
hostnamectl - Control the system hostname SYNOPSIS
hostnamectl [OPTIONS...] {COMMAND} DESCRIPTION
hostnamectl may be used to query and change the system hostname and related settings. This tool distinguishes three different hostnames: the high-level "pretty" hostname which might include all kinds of special characters (e.g. "Lennart's Laptop"), the static hostname which is used to initialize the kernel hostname at boot (e.g. "lennarts-laptop"), and the transient hostname which might be assigned temporarily due to network configuration and might revert back to the static hostname if network connectivity is lost and is only temporarily written to the kernel hostname (e.g. "dhcp-47-11"). Note that the pretty hostname has little restrictions on the characters used, while the static and transient hostnames are limited to the usually accepted characters of Internet domain names. The static hostname is stored in /etc/hostname, see hostname(5) for more information. The pretty hostname, chassis type, and icon name are stored in /etc/machine-info, see machine-id(5). OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Prints a short help text and exits. --version Prints a short version string and exits. --no-ask-password Do not query the user for authentication for privileged operations. -P, --privileged Acquire privileges via PolicyKit before executing the operation. -H, --host Execute the operation remotely. Specify a hostname, or username and hostname separated by "@", to connect to. This will use SSH to talk to a remote system. --static, --transient, --pretty If status is used (or no explicit command is given) and one of those fields is given, hostnamectl will print out just this selected hostname. If used with set-hostname, only the selected hostname(s) will be updated. When more than one of those options is used, all the specified hostnames will be updated. The following commands are understood: status Show current system hostname and related information. set-hostname [NAME] Set the system hostname. By default, this will alter the pretty, the static, and the transient hostname alike; however, if one or more of --static, --transient, --pretty are used, only the selected hostnames are changed. If the pretty hostname is being set, and static or transient are being set as well, the specified hostname will be simplified in regards to the character set used before the latter are updated. This is done by replacing spaces with "-" and removing special characters. This ensures that the pretty and the static hostname are always closely related while still following the validity rules of the specific name. This simplification of the hostname string is not done if only the transient and/or static host names are set, and the pretty host name is left untouched. Pass the empty string "" as the hostname to reset the selected hostnames to their default (usually "localhost"). set-icon-name [NAME] Set the system icon name. The icon name is used by some graphical applications to visualize this host. The icon name should follow the Icon Naming Specification[1]. Pass an empty string to this operation to reset the icon name to the default value, which is determined from chassis type (see below) and possibly other parameters. set-chassis [TYPE] Set the chassis type. The chassis type is used by some graphical applications to visualize the host or alter user interaction. Currently, the following chassis types are defined: "desktop", "laptop", "server", "tablet", "handset", as well as the special chassis types "vm" and "container" for virtualized systems that lack an immediate physical chassis. Pass an empty string to this operation to reset the chassis type to the default value which is determined from the firmware and possibly other parameters. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), hostname(1), hostname(5), machine-info(5), systemctl(1), systemd-hostnamed.service(8) NOTES
1. Icon Naming Specification http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html systemd 208 HOSTNAMECTL(1)