Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C Code to read a word from file Post 302906235 by anand.shah on Wednesday 18th of June 2014 08:01:51 AM
Old 06-18-2014
Dear CarloM,
Thanks man for your input. I eed to keep track of the line word counts until end of processing and then pass it to other thread. I was assuming worse case of finding a word on each line of 10K lined file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read each word in a file

Hi, I want to read each word in a file. start at a particular character say '%' and read till another character say ')' (these two characters form the part of my file). then i want to delete the whole sentence(that is between '%' and ')' ) and keep the remaining file intact. Its urgent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaps_jhaver
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read each word from File1 and search each file in file2

file1: has all words to be searched. 100007 200999 299997 File2: has all file names to be searched. C:\search1.txt C:\search2.txt C:\search3.txt C:\search4.txt Outfile: should have all found lines. Logic: Read each word in file1 and search each file in the list of File2; if the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: clem2610
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read last word of file name

Hi I am writing a script that needs to read all file from a directory and print only last word of all file names. My script: for file in /documents/files/ do $shortFile=$(file##.*) echo $shortFile done All my file names in /document/files/ directory are like unix_ubuntu but I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: watsup
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read data word by word from given file & storing in variables

File having data in following format : file name : file.txt -------------------- 111111;name1 222222;name2 333333;name3 I want to read this file so that I can split these into two paramaters i.e. 111111 & name1 into two different variables(say value1 & value2). i.e val1=11111 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjoshi98
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read the second word of a text file

Folks, how to read the second word of the first line from a text file. Text file does not have any delimiters in the line and has words at random locations. Basically the text file is a log and i want to capture a number that is in second position. Appreciate your help Venu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell code to read and extract a file

how can i check for an unix data structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhuapaya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read nth word from delimited text file?

Hi i am new in scripting how i can get 2 elements from first line of delimited txt file in shell scripts. AA~101010~0~AB~8000~ABC0~ BB~101011~0~BC~8000~ABC~ CC~101012~0~CD~8000~ABC0~ DD~101013~0~AB~8000~ABC~ AA~101014~0~BC~8000~ABC0~ CC~101015~0~CD~8000~ABC~ can anyone plse help?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
3 Replies

8. Programming

How can I read complete word from text file?

how can I know that the word in test file end at this point .... I have an Idea to search on ' ' , '\n' or '\0' but don't know what function can store the string before those characters .. help please ! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and save every word in a variable to use

Hello there so i have a txt file containing word like "one two three four plus four five six". I want to save every word in the file into a variable, and then use that variable to generate real numbers and apply the arithmetic value on them. example: the txt files becomes 123 + 456 and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: azaiiez
10 Replies
WC(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             WC(1)

NAME
wc - print newline, word, and byte counts for each file SYNOPSIS
wc [OPTION]... [FILE]... wc [OPTION]... --files0-from=F DESCRIPTION
Print newline, word, and byte counts for each FILE, and a total line if more than one FILE is specified. A word is a non-zero-length sequence of characters delimited by white space. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. The options below may be used to select which counts are printed, always in the following order: newline, word, character, byte, maximum line length. -c, --bytes print the byte counts -m, --chars print the character counts -l, --lines print the newline counts --files0-from=F read input from the files specified by NUL-terminated names in file F; If F is - then read names from standard input -L, --max-line-length print the maximum display width -w, --words print the word counts --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report wc translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/wc> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) wc invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 WC(1)