Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris V240 no OBP or console available Post 302906165 by DanielSluder on Tuesday 17th of June 2014 04:14:00 PM
Old 06-17-2014
Thanks for the timely response.

I will try to hit everything, sorry for my delay.

1. I believe it is something with the CPU's and unfortunately I am the hardware tech rep for this gear. Usually I'm just software, so I'm learning on the fly.

2. I did work around the case switch and all four replacements were running properly (and plugged in obviously)

3. Re-seating the RAM was the first thing I did when no OBP showed.

4. I let the SC login expire hoping to see OBP, I also removed all forms of connections to the KVM to try and force output to redirect to TTYA

5. I do have access to the ALOM and I've tried rebooting with bootscripts to change output/input and set autoboot to false. When I console -f I get the same blank screen.

6. With fans running properly, I think it would be safe to assume I applied power correctly. Interesting to note however, when I run showplatform through the ALOM, it does not correctly reflect the current state of the server. Example: When system has been powered on, it will still show system stopped.

I think you may be on to something with the CPU's being the issue, that is really the only thing that makes any sense. With both behaving the same exact way and no OBP I would have to say it is CPU's. I have pulled them out and checked to see how the pins are, and they seem fine to me... I did clear out some fuzz on one of them. Would the fuzz short the motherboard?

P.S. From what I understand, the difference in paste vs the strip that comes with it is the type of processors. (read it on my search for answers before posting)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OBP saying boot is disabled??

Hi all, need your help again :P I am trying to build a server in work, and it comes up with the OBP (Open Boot Prompt) and when i try and install the cdrom "boot cdrom -s" it throws back the following error: "System is not bootable, boot command is disabled" This is trying to install... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SemperFi
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Enter to OBP

Hello, today i'm comment in /etc/vfstab fs /usr and my server load in SingleUser without anything commands :( How i can enter to OBP from # ? or ILOM ? I'm try CTRL+BREAK (F5) , CTRL+ALT+BREAK (F5) and #. but it's don't help me :(((( (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
5 Replies

3. Solaris

OBP on Solaris 10-intel

Hi All, How can I go to OBP on Solaris 10-intel? I tried doing ctrl+c or ctrl+break, it won't go to the "ok" prompt. Thanks in advance, itik (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
6 Replies

4. Solaris

OBP search...

Hello experts... In OBP(OK prompt)... How can i know whole command if i know part of a command? Thanks in advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

6. Solaris

OBP update

hi all i am using sun blade 150 (sparc) running solaris 5.10 on that. How can i update the OBP firmware? where cai download the latest (compatible) version for this hardware? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingston
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OBP explained.

Hi Gurus, Correct me if I am wrong. Booting an OS means loading it in memory . What is OBP in solaris. If we are typing some commands at ok> where are we actually do that. What is the difference between frimware and OBP. I know I am asking silly things but I need answers. :):) Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with OBP.

Hi Gurus, I am totally confused :wall: . I have some questions regarding OBP,EEPROMand NVRAM, BIOS. What actually are these how do they function and interact on a Sparc based solaris system. What is ok> ? What is system Firmware ? How does the system startup? Trying to google... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
8 Replies

9. Solaris

[SOLVED] Console connection to V240

My apologies if this is posted/answered elsewhere. I have recently been tasked with getting 2 Sun V240's running Solaris 10 up and working. I should mention I come from the programming side of life with a small amount of networking on Windows 2003 servers. They boot, no error lights, hd's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuriosity_prime
6 Replies

10. Solaris

T4-2 OBP problem

Hi can anyone help me Got a T4-2, when I try to save any enviroment varaible at the OBP for instance auto-boot false or output-device screen I get the error: Warning: Error storing configuration. No space left, check SP and other logs. Cleared the SP logs (well only ones I could find) did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
4 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - set or retrieve a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [argument...] taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its pid, or to launch a new command with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks may be specified in hexadecimal (with or without a leading "0x"), or as a CPU list with the --cpu-list option. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0, 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1, 0xFFFFFFFF is processors #0 through #31, 32 is processors #1, #4, and #5, --cpu-list 0-2,6 is processors #0, #1, #2, and #6. When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -c, --cpu-list Interpret mask as numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. Numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For example: 0,5,8-11. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user can change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to the same user. A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to another user. A user can retrieve the affinity mask of any process. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_getaffinity(2), sched_setaffinity(2) See sched(7) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2014 TASKSET(1)