Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting the files with spaces Post 302906135 by abhi_123 on Tuesday 17th of June 2014 12:15:20 PM
Old 06-17-2014
Deleting the files with spaces

Hi All,
The shell script is currently using the below command to find the seven days older files from a directories and delete them.

Issue occurs when the file name consists of space in them. eg: abc def 1245.txt
I need to delete the files names with space also. Please help.
Thanks.

Below is the command which is used:
Code:
find . -type f -mtime +$7 | xargs rm -f

Last edited by abhi_123; 06-17-2014 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: code tagged

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file

I am new to scripting and I needed to know if there would be an easy way to delete extra spaces in a text file. I have a file with three rows with 22 numbers each, but there is extra spaces between the numbers when it gets output by this program AFNI that I am using. What script would help delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces in a file

Hello Guys, I am a newbie to unix. I am having a requirement. Please help me for finding a solution for this, I am having a file as mentioned below: $ cat shank ackca acackac akcajc akcjkcja akcj ckcklc I want to delete all the white spaces in this file, I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines starting with spaces then non-numerals

I did a search but couldn't find a thread that seemed to answer this but my apologies if it has been answered before. I have some text files and I need to remove any line that does not start with a number (0-9). In actuality every line like this starts with a 'T' (or 't') but there are a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skray
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines that contain spaces in a txt file

I need some help deleting lines in a file that contain spaces. Im sure awk or sed will work but i dont know much about those commands. Any help is appreciated :D (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r04dw4rri0r
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help comparing two files and deleting some things in those files!

So I have two files: File1 pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2 pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2 ref4948 1.1 treehouse.txt 1.6 ref8573 1.5 ref3284 1.4 ref5838... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX system.... deleting files in remote directory after retrieving files

Hi Friends, I am new to this , I am working on AIX system and my scenario is to retrive the files from remote system and remove the files from the remote system after retreving files. I can able to retrieve the files but Can't remove files in remote system. Please check my code and help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayparakala
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting newline and making output in single line with spaces

HI I have a file line vi Input 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies
subst(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       subst(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(3tcl), eval(3tcl), break(3tcl), continue(3tcl) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(3tcl)