Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calling another Script from Command Line in UNIX Post 302905943 by jim mcnamara on Monday 16th of June 2014 07:40:38 AM
Old 06-16-2014
Welcome to UNIX.COM

.seq

File extensions DO NOT have meaning necessarily to a UNIX OS. This is a Windows thing primarily. Some windows-like Linux desktops can be set up to associate certain applications with a file extension. .mp3, for example, may be associated with whatever media application you have.

Programmers often attach meaningful extensions so that someone seeing the file knows what is in it: foo.dat script.sh script1.ksh. Those extensions do not make or break the function of the file like they do in Windows. In Windows if you rename a file like foo.xlsx - an Excel file - to foo.junk then the Windows OS will not open the file using Excel automatically. You get warning messages when you rename files on Windows because of this very issue. Not on UNIX.

-q

Is a command line parameter, an option. You have to read the script to understand what effect -q has on the logic of the shell script. Nobody here can tell you what it does, anything we said would be a pure guess - if we got it right it would be an accident.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Java program calling a UNIX command

I was wondering if it was possible to call a unix command directly from a Java program during run-time. This command could very very basic e.g. "ps -ef" returned as a string, all I need is a starting place so if anyone has any suggestion or examples I would be very grateful (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: QUartz Ite
2 Replies

2. Programming

calling UNIX script from C/C++

Hi all, Is it possible to call a UNIX script from C/C++ program? If yes, can you please tell me how? Thank you in advance Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling unix script from JSP???

Hi all, i have requirement where i need to call a unix script from a JSP code. my script should list all the csv files from a directory and then should upload the file names to an oracle table (using sqlloader). i tried using getRuntime function in JAVA to call my script and was successfully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhups
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling sub-script in a command while

Hi, I am writting a script reading a liste of files from a file-list using the command while read NEW_LINE, and calling a "ksh" shell for each line. My shell is like beside, and only the first line of the file-list of "/app/admin/file-list.txt" is actually processed. It seems that calling a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a unix script(which is calling another script inside that) in background

Hi all, I am having a script ScriptA which is calling a script ScriptB in the same server and copying files to second server and have to execute one script ScriptC in the second server. THis First script ScriptA is the main script and i have to execute this process continously. for Keeping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohithji
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script / Command >>> in one line

Hi Experts, Basically I am a SAP programmer. I don't know much about UNIX. But I got a situation, need to use UNIX script /command in my programming. I searched the forum and found the below code. I would like to pass the below UNIX script in my programming code. But my programming will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbadveli
1 Replies

7. Programming

Calling UNIX command fron FORTRAN

I want to run the unix command in a fortran code echo trim(val_fgsize) | awk '{split($1, a, "/"); print a}'I am trying like this but getting problems s='echo ' // trim(val_fgsize) // '| awk '{split($1, a, "/"); print a}'' call system(s) ---------- Post updated at 05:15 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling Macros in UNIX command

Hi .. I have created a sql macro, i want to execute this through ksh in putty.ie) sql.ksh will contain the macro query ,once i call this ksh ,the macro should trigger. I am able to write a macro : for ex: create macro macro_name (sel * from db_tablename) execute macro_name. Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kalaiselvi66
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with reading and calling a command in a script

The problem I am having now is calling and reading a command and The Main script reads the data file and passes the input to the two calculation scripts, and than output to a file. 1. The Main Script ----------------- input=inputfilepj3 output=outfilepj3 echo "*** Converting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheUnitedOSI
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting xls file to xlsx on UNIX script / command line.

Hi All, Am needing advise on how to convert xls file to xlsx format on Solaris unix command line or scripting. I tried searching online but it looks like I need to either use Perl packages of Excel or Python packages or some other 3rd party tool. Problem is to install any of these will require... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)