Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Separate records of a file on 2 types of records Post 302905823 by RudiC on Saturday 14th of June 2014 01:42:34 PM
Old 06-14-2014
Is that a "normal" *nix text file? Then the easiest way would be to use head and tail (see their respective man pages) e.g.
Code:
head -1 file > headerfile
tail -n +2 file > recordsfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last records of a file

can you please give shell script for daleting the last 7 records of file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get 2 records in 2 separate lines in the mail

export VarMailAddress=abc@gmail.com export SUBJECT="Hi" ( echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" echo "Content-Type: text/html" echo "Content-Disposition: inline" echo "<HTML><BODY>" echo "<B> <U>NAME&nbsp;&nbsp;ID&nbsp;&nbsp;Address </B> <br /> " echo "`cat FILE`" echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_886
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split records into multiple records

Hi All, I am trying to split a record into multiple records based on a value. Input.txt "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10,15,20 "C",3,11,14,16,19,21,23 "D",1,0,5 My desired output is: "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10 "B",2,15,20 "C",3,11,14 "C",3,16,19 "C",3,21,23 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

separate records

i have a file contains continues records; i want to separate each section that has the same 1st field by putting ''###''. 1 salam_32 tr po 1 sed_po wqu 1 Pdot. food 32 2 eeeelll 2 wwwqww qwqw e 3 d 3 r 3 0 3 322 1 salam_32 tr po 1 sed_po wqu 1 Pdot. food 32 ### 2 eeeelll 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oreka18
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies
DUMP(5) 							File Formats Manual							   DUMP(5)

NAME
dump, ddate - incremental dump format SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ino.h> # include <dumprestor.h> DESCRIPTION
Tapes used by dump and restor(1) contain: a header record two groups of bit map records a group of records describing directories a group of records describing files The format of the header record and of the first record of each description as given in the include file <dumprestor.h> is: NTREC is the number of 512 byte records in a physical tape block. MLEN is the number of bits in a bit map word. MSIZ is the number of bit map words. The TS_ entries are used in the c_type field to indicate what sort of header this is. The types and their meanings are as follows: TS_TAPE Tape volume label TS_INODE A file or directory follows. The c_dinode field is a copy of the disk inode and contains bits telling what sort of file this is. TS_BITS A bit map follows. This bit map has a one bit for each inode that was dumped. TS_ADDR A subrecord of a file description. See c_addr below. TS_END End of tape record. TS_CLRI A bit map follows. This bit map contains a zero bit for all inodes that were empty on the file system when dumped. MAGIC All header records have this number in c_magic. CHECKSUM Header records checksum to this value. The fields of the header structure are as follows: c_type The type of the header. c_date The date the dump was taken. c_ddate The date the file system was dumped from. c_volume The current volume number of the dump. c_tapea The current number of this (512-byte) record. c_inumber The number of the inode being dumped if this is of type TS_INODE. c_magic This contains the value MAGIC above, truncated as needed. c_checksum This contains whatever value is needed to make the record sum to CHECKSUM. c_dinode This is a copy of the inode as it appears on the file system; see filsys(5). c_count The count of characters in c_addr. c_addr An array of characters describing the blocks of the dumped file. A character is zero if the block associated with that character was not present on the file system, otherwise the character is non-zero. If the block was not present on the file system, no block was dumped; the block will be restored as a hole in the file. If there is not sufficient space in this record to describe all of the blocks in a file, TS_ADDR records will be scattered through the file, each one picking up where the last left off. Each volume except the last ends with a tapemark (read as an end of file). The last volume ends with a TS_END record and then the tape- mark. The structure idates describes an entry of the file /etc/ddate where dump history is kept. The fields of the structure are: id_name The dumped filesystem is `/dev/id_nam'. id_incno The level number of the dump tape; see dump(1). id_ddate The date of the incremental dump in system format see types(5). FILES
/etc/ddate SEE ALSO
dump(1), dumpdir(1), restor(1), filsys(5), types(5) DUMP(5)