Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users File command return wrong filetype while file holds group separator char. Post 302905761 by Corona688 on Friday 13th of June 2014 03:57:59 PM
Old 06-13-2014
What kind of ASCII text contains group separators? That sounds more like control codes than text.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

CHAR Array - stuffed with values - with more size than it holds

Hi All I am simulating a problem in the production where i faced a situation. Please find the following example program which i simulated. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<string.h> int main() { char str1; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need shell script to get last 10 char from a file name and write in to a new file

i have no idea abount shell script but i need need shell script to get last 10 char from a file name and write in to a new file. consider u hav 5 files in a particular dir i script should get last 10 char of each file n write the 10 char in separate files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj0390
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort the file contents in each group....print the group title as well

I've this file and need to sort the data in each group File would look like this ... cat file1.txt Reason : ABC 12345-0023 32123-5400 32442-5333 Reason : DEF 42523-3453 23345-3311 Reason : HIJ 454553-0001 I would like to sort each group on the last 4 fileds and print them... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A variable is including the Carriage Return char...

Hi all, I'm reading a file with this layout: First_Col Second_Col The Second_Col has values as 1000, -1, 10, 43... While reading the file I'm getting the second column value with awk command, but it is including the CR control char. do item_saved=`echo $b | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
4 Replies

5. Programming

how to return the char in C?

hi I have the below code to convert hexa to binary. It is working fine, but i want to store the binary in char or int. The below program is printing the result. void ConvertHexToBinary(char sHexValue) { int i; printf("Binary Equivalent="); for(i=0;sHexValue!=NULL;i++) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharalikhan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change everything in a file that maps to {module::name.filetype} to _modules/name/applicat

path = content.txt filename = application directory = _modules define create $(eval from := $(shell echo $$1)) \ $(eval to := $(shell echo $$2)) \ sed -i '' 's/$(from)/$(to)/g' content.txt endef all: clear $(eval modules := $(shell egrep -o "{module+\}" $(path))) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add unique identifier from file to filetype in directory

I am trying to add a unique identifier to two file extensions .bam and .vcf in a directory located at /home/cmccabe/Desktop/index/R_2016_09_21_14_01_15_user_S5-00580-9-Medexome. The identifier is in $2 of the input file. What the code below is attempting to do is strip off the last portion... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
21 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace \n char true line Separator

Unix File is pipe delimited with 17 fields. We may get extra pipes in data also. We may get \n char (1 or more \n in one field or multi fileds) in data in any field. Need to replace \n true ( line separator) with 'space and bell char space' chars (' \a ') Not data \n. Input:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshkumare
1 Replies
fileutil::magic::filetype(n)					  file utilities				      fileutil::magic::filetype(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
fileutil::magic::filetype - Procedures implementing file-type recognition SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require fileutil::magic::filetype ?1.0.2? ::fileutil::magic::filetype filename _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command for the recognition of file types in pure Tcl. The core part of the recognizer was generated from a "magic(5)" file containing the checks to perform to recognize files, and associated file-types. Beware! This recognizer is large, about 276 Kilobyte of generated Tcl code. ::fileutil::magic::filetype filename This command is similar to the command fileutil::fileType. The output of the command for the specified file is a string describing the type of the file. This list will be empty if the type of the file is not recognized. REFERENCES
[1] File(1) sources [ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/] This site contains the current sources for the file command, including the magic definitions used by it. The latter were used by us to generate this recognizer. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category fileutil :: magic of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
file(1), fileutil, magic(5) KEYWORDS
file recognition, file type, file utilities, type CATEGORY
Programming tools fumagic 1.0.2 fileutil::magic::filetype(n)