Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dsh command - shell script - sys args? Post 302905755 by Corona688 on Friday 13th of June 2014 02:38:34 PM
Old 06-13-2014
My apologies. I was having flashbacks to a thread dealing with ten million files in one directory; the OP refused to believe his disk couldn't be multithreaded via some magic perl or python code... Smilie Now that that's out of the way!

Do all three machines share the same disk? If not, dsh won't be useful here!

1) Your loops are overcomplicated. Instead of
Code:
ARR=( whatever ) ; for i in `seq ...`

do
Code:
for FILE in whatever/*
do
done

2) for FILE in whatever/*, or shell globbing in general, will fail with 'too many arguments' when there are large numbers of files. Better to use a utility like ls or find and print to a pipe when you dont' know how many files there are.

3) Don't have your sub-programs check which files are "theirs" -- tell them which files are theirs. Feed them into the program so they don't have to guess. This avoids problems with them getting out of sync (if the folder has a file added to the dir before one runs and after another runs, for example).

Code:
#!/bin/bash

NODES=3
N=0

# If there are thousands of files, '*.R' will fail in the shell with 'too many arguments'.
# So we use find instead, which prints to a pipe, avoiding using
# arguments at all.
find /home/ts/test2/temp/ -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type f -name '*.R' | while read FILE
do
        echo "file $FILE goes to node $N"
        echo "$FILE" >> /tmp/$$-$N
        let N=(N+1)%3
done

for ((N=0; N<NODES; N++))
do
        # I am assuming dsh can read from standard input here.
        # If this is wrong, that wont' work :(
        /sw/egs/bin/dsh -w node0${N} -e "/home/ts/scripts/copy.sh" < /tmp/$$-$N &
        rm /tmp/$$-$N
done

wait

Code:
#!/bin/bash

ODIR="/home/ts/test3/

while read FILE
do
        echo "Got file $FILE"
        echo cp "$FILE" "$ODIR"
done

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Command line args

My program usage takes the form for example; $ theApp 2 "one or more words" i.e. 3 command line arguments; application name, an integer, some text My code includes the following 4 lines: int anInteger; char words; sscanf(argv, "%d", &anInteger); sscanf(argv, "%s", &message); Based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args

I am trying to print command line arguments one per second. I have this while do echo "6" shift echo "5" shift echo "4" shift echo "3" shift echo "2" shift echo "1" shift done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args 2

I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence and it printed the value of $1 after every number. I don't want that I just want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell Scripting - HELP! - checking total args in a script

Hi, I 'm trying to learn the scripting language and am trying to create a script to open a C Program, allow the user to edit it, and then run it. What I have works but only when you enter the name to be compiled and the c program, but what if you only entered the 1 argument (cprogram.c) ? but I 'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patel_ankz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with KSH script: command line args

Hi I am executing a KSH script by passing command line arguments example: Red Green Dark Red Blue when I am splitting the arguments by using " "(Space) as delimiter But the colour Dark Red is a single parameter. But it is getting splitted in between How to avoid this. Please help Also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanth424
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dsh command : Execution Problems with Cron

Hi, On linux cluster, i created a script to delete all temp files older than 5 days. i am able to execute the script "dsh -ea script.ksh" in management node directly But when i schedule "dsh -ea script.ksh" in crontab in management node it tells dsh command not found. How to solve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartrajusid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args. # bash declare -a arr=("$@") s=$(IFS=, eval 'echo "${arr}"') echo "$s" output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 1,2,3,4,5,6 Desired output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 3,4,5,6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script as login shell (passing args to login shell)

Hello all, for security reasons my compagny imposes that my script be launch remotly via ssh under the users login shell. So serverA launches the ssh command to serverB which has a local user with my script as a login shell. Local script works like a charm on his own. serverB$ grep... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit $args within a command

Hi, I'm using a while loop for a given command "bowtie2" with several parameters. mkdir clean paste <(ls --quote-name ./qc/sg_*_R1_val_1.fq.gz) <(ls --quote-name ./qc/sg_*_R2_val_2.fq.gz) |sed 's/"./-1 ./' | sed 's/gz"\t/gz\t -2 /' | sed 's/"//g' |\ while read args ; do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sargotrons
5 Replies

10. Fedora

Dsh command help!

Hi, I am trying to run the following on our cluster: /sw/bin/dsh -w node02 -e "/home/pc/thello.sh" but I get an error: dsh: no machine specified I used to be able to run it a few months back, but they seem to have reinstalled the OS or something.. The output of the dsh -a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
2 Replies
KUPFER(1)																 KUPFER(1)

NAME
kupfer - Convenient command and access tool for applications and documents SYNOPSIS
kupfer [ OPTIONS | FILE ... ] kupfer-exec FILE ... DESCRIPTION
Kupfer is an interface for quick and convenient access to applications and their documents. The most typical use is to find a specific application and launch it. We have tried to make Kupfer easy to extend with plugins so that this quick-access paradigm can be extended to many more objects than just applications. kupfer-exec is a helper script that can execute commands saved to file, but only by connecting to an already running instance of Kupfer. SPAWNING
Running kupfer on the command line (without options) will try to show the program it if already running. Kupfer can be invoked with a list of files kupfer FILE ... This can be used to select files given as command-line arguments in the program. Then you can invoke actions even on objects from a shell-based context. You may also pipe text to kupfer to pass it to a currently running instance of the program. OPTIONS
--no-splash Launch without presenting main interface --list-plugins Display a list of all installed plugins --debug Enable more verbose output that can help understanding the program's operation. --relay Is deprecated and will be started by the Multihead Support plugin when needed --exec-helper=HELPER Run plugin helper program, which should be the name of a module inside kupfer. The following are generic options --help Display usage information --version Display version information CONFIGURATION
Custom plugins are added to kupfer by installing them to the directory ~/.local/share/kupfer/plugins, or any kupfer/plugins directory in any of $XDG_DATA_DIRS. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
If KUPFER_NO_CUSTOM_PLUGINS is set, only allow loading built-in plugins (installed in the program's python package). If KUPFER_NO_CACHE is set, do not load from or write to any source cache files. AUTHOR
Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik.sverdrup@gmail.com> 2011 KUPFER(1)