Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Turn null value into 0 with a Bash Script Post 302905634 by Goomie on Thursday 12th of June 2014 03:17:08 PM
Old 06-12-2014
Turn null value into 0 with a Bash Script

Hi,

I'm trying to make a bash script that if a null value is returned then to output the value 0.

I would like a script to search the 'top' tree and return the CPU value of a process, however if the process is not running for it to return 0 or another identifier.
Code:
top -b -n1 | awk '/ PROCESS /{print $9}'

Any help appreciated.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags for your code and data, thanks

Last edited by vbe; 06-12-2014 at 04:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to turn on Autofilter in Excel.

Hi, I have a shellscript that produces a csv that can be opened in Microsoft Excel. It has two columns and about 10 rows in each column, so only twenty cells (at the moment). When the user opened the csv, I wanted it so autofilter was already turned on in columns A1 and B1 (and potentially C1,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainemaida
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert string 'NULL' where there is a null value

I have an input file having 7 fields delimited by , eg : 1,ABC,hg,1,2,34,3 2,hj,YU,2,3,4, 3,JU,kl,4,5,7, 4,JK,KJ,3,56,4,5 The seventh field here in some lines is empty, whereas the other lines there is a value. How do I insert string NULL at this location (7th loc) for these lines where... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilch
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How would I create a NULL terminated file in Unix under Bash?

I am testing some file routines against potential "nasty name" Unix files, such as those with a CR, LF, in the middle or NULL terminated, utf multi-byte character. So, under Bash, I want some way of: mv "name" "name\0" with the \0 a real NULL. Against all my efforts, I have not been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Turn python script into an installed UNIX command (Mac OS X)

Okay so i have a script i wrote in python. I want to turn this script into an INSTALLED COMMAND to run in terminal. Right now i run it like this in terminal... $ python myscriptname.py or $ ./myscriptname.py but i want to be able to run it like this in terminal... $ myscriptname ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Turn an awk one liner into a script?

Hi, I was just helped with an excellent one liner. Now I need to know how to turn it into a script that I can call at the command line. So, this works with file script: ------------ for file in DATA.txt; do awk 'NR==1;NR>1{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){a+=$i}}END{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){printf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script argument not outputing line -NULL

Hi everybody! I am writing a script which accepts two arguments one of them being a message. All is working except for the message part. That is, to accept text as an argument. I have trouble storing and echoing a line of text. It seems that writing a few words and store them in an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass null value to sql script from korn shell script

There are 4 parameters that I have to pass from korn shell to sql script. 1) I have to check if $1 , $2 , $3 and $4 are null values or not . How can I do that ? 2) Once its determined that these values are null (in the sense they are empty) how can I pass null values to sql script... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to turn off ora errors in shell script?

I have a shell script which select total count from a table and use its value in a if condition like below connect_string="username/password@tnsname" tot=`sqlplus -s $connect_string << EOF set echo off set feedback off set head off select count(*) from test_table; EOF ` if then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
MOD-ACTIVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MOD-ACTIVE(8)

NAME
mod-active - batch processing of ctlinnd newgroup/rmgroup/changegroup SYNOPSIS
mod-active [ ctlinnd_command_file ] DESCRIPTION
mod-active is a perl script that updates the active file based on its input lines of ctlinnd newgroup, rmgroup and changegroup commands. It pauses the server briefly while the existing active file is read and rewritten, which not only keeps innd from updating the active file but also locks against other instances of mod-active. The input to mod-active can come either from one or more files named on the command line, or from the standard input. Typically its input is the output from the docheckgroups or actsync commands. Every line which contains the string "ctlinnd newgroup", "ctlinnd rmgroup" or "ctlinnd changegroup", optionally preceded by whitespace and/or the path to ctlinnd, is noted for the update. Redundant commands, such as a newgroup directive for a group that already exists, are silently ignored. All other lines in the input are also silently ignored. After the new active file has been generated, the existing one is renamed to active.old and the new one is moved into place. The script then displays the differences between the two files. Any groups that were added to the active file are also added to the active.times file with the string "checkgroups-update". BUGS
Though innd is paused while mod-active works, it is not inconceivable that there could be a conflict if something else tries to update the active file during the relatively short time that mod-active is working. The two most realistic ways I can think of for this to happen are either by an administrator concurrently doing a manual ctlinnd command, or by innd receiving a control message, then mod-active pausing the server, then the control message handler script that innd forked running its own ctlinnd command while mod-active is working. I've been using mod-active regularly for several years, though, and never had either problem. HISTORY
Written by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org>. SEE ALSO
active(5), actsync(8), ctlinnd(8), innd(8). MOD-ACTIVE(8)