Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with occurence of square brackets Post 302905550 by Don Cragun on Thursday 12th of June 2014 06:02:40 AM
Old 06-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
I decided to use neutronscott's solution, which I understand except the effect of these two expressions:

Code:
sed 's/[^[]*[[]\([^]]*\)]\([[][^]]*]\)*\([^]]*\)$/\1 -- \3/g' infile
            ^^^            ^^^

A group which consists of a single square bracket? I would have written the single square bracket without the enclosure but this does not work obviously.
If you understood the meaning of a repetition of a non-matching bracket expression (such as [^[]* which matches zero or more occurrences of any character except [), I'm surprised that you didn't understand the meaning of the matching bracket expression [[] which matches one occurrence of the [ character. Similarly, [^]] matches any character other than ] and []] matches a ].

You have to use the bracket expression [[] or escape the opening bracket \[ to distinguish it as a character to be matched (rather than the start of a bracket expression). In some contexts, you do not need to use a bracket expression or an escape to specify a closing bracket, but the meaning is is the same if you use []] and it is symmetric with the [[] if you have an editor that pairs up opening and closing parentheses, braces, and brackets.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

square brackets

I would like to substitute a phrase which contains square brackets. change TO how? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilead29
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHy the double square brackets?

One of the senior administrators gave me a shell script to modify and it begins as follows: if ] && ] {more code follows} Why the double square brackets? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double square brackets question

Hi, I just came across an interesting shell script syntax like the one below: ] && (trap 'rm -rf ${WORK_DIR}/*.$$; echo "\n\nInterrupted !!\n\n"; exit 4' 1 2 3 15) Can someone please explain the code snippet above? The trap command bit is fine but ] && is the hazy part. Generally we use an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Test command - Two square brackets

Hello, Can someone please explain to me the following line, ] && break I do not understand why two test square brackets are used. Thanks, Shantanu ---------- Post updated at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:35 PM ---------- And, also why there's a $ before (echo $c |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text between two square brackets

hi guys, i'm writing a script that looks for a unquie id in a file and replaces a string between two square brackets on the same line as the unquie id: ....... ....... 0001 zz 43242 replace this text] name 0002 sd 65466 UK] country ....... ....... how can i find line with id 0001... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two square [..] brackets

Hi All, After searching about this, I could find some solutions but I am not sure why it is not working in my case. I have a text file with contents between two square brackets. The text file looks like this: Use tags when you post any code so others can easily read your code. You can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the value in between square brackets in file

I wanted to compare the value inside the Squre bracket after Colon ( : ) based on any value(seperated by or operator | ) inside the variable Thread and if match found then wnated to store in output file Input file : 20140320 00:08:43.918 INO 35] - Corporate hub is 20140320 00:08:43.918... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep number between Square [] brackets

I wanted to store the number inside the square bracket between colon( : ) and closing suqre bracket(]) in some variable. Suppose I have lines like : Input file : 20140320 00:08:23.846 INFO 84] - anything in line 20140320 00:08:23.846 Test 589] - Virtual and lab lab anything... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement with square brackets

Hi All, Hope you all are doing good. Yesterday in my project i came across a scenario which i can not guess why it was working in one region and why it was not in another region. Please find my issue below. I am using AIX version 6.0 of UNIX in my project, in shell scripting i have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad man
1 Replies