Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple .gz decompress files and dump other directory Post 302905528 by clx on Thursday 12th of June 2014 04:53:22 AM
Old 06-12-2014
You should NOT use the quotes as they wont be expended as wildcard (*). The above would loop only once containing /home/vizion/Desktop/*.gz in $i hence that error.

For absolute path, I already asked you to work on that if required. You need to extract the filename from the path.

Anyway,

Code:
for i in /home/vizion/Desktop/*.gz
do
 fname=${i##*/}
 fname_without_gz=${fname%.gz}
 gzip -dc $i > /home/vizion/Desktop/gzipfile/${fname_without_gz%.gz}
done

I have used multiple variable for readability. You can override the same variable if you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress directory using Gzip

Hey there... Just has a query. I have been trying to zip and unzip a directory. I used gzip -c -r <directory> to recursively search the directory and zip it Now is want to unzip the directory, by gunzip -r <filename>.gz The problem is that the unzip creates on file with the contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinxor
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp multiple files from same directory

Hi there Gurus, I have the following ftp script: $ more ftp_dump_arch4.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh # Constant variables HOST='xx.xx.xx.xx' USER='user' PASSWD='password' dir='/export/file' ftp_log='/tmp' ftp -n $HOST > $ftp_log/ftp.log << END user $USER $PASSWD verbose lcd $dir bin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pull out multiple files from DB table and redirect all those files to a differetn directory?

Hi everyone!! I have a database table, which has file_name as one of its fields. Example: File_ID File_Name Directory Size 0001 UNO_1232 /apps/opt 234 0002 UNO_1234 /apps/opt 788 0003 UNO_1235 /apps/opt 897 0004 UNO_1236 /apps/opt 568 I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in copying multiple files from th directory

Hey Guys, I have directory with thousands of files, I need to copy only march data. can any one please Help.......... Thanks, Uttam N (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttamnsd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large zone file dump into multiple files

I have a large zone file dump that consists of ; DNS record for the adomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 CRLF CRLF CRLF ; DNS record for the anotherdomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 CRLF (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bluemerlin
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple files with the same name in the same directory

Hi, Is it possible to have multiple files with the same name in a same unix directory? Eg., in the path \tmp, can we have 2 files with the same name as SALES_data_20120124.TXT? I heard it is possible if the user id that is created the files are different and with some ids, a new gets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in a directory

Hello, I would like to rename all available files in a directory from Filename to Filename_Normal. I tried to use below script but it is giving some error: #!/bin/sh for i in `ls` do echo Changing $i mv $i $i_Normal done Error received: Usage: mv src target or: mv ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk on multiple files in a directory

so i have a file system: /data/projects in this file system, there's about 300 files. on all files in this directory, i'm running: egrep -r 'Customer.*Processed' /data/projects/* is there an efficient (fast) awk way of searching through each file in the directory and providing an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with : gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
2 Replies
Desktop::Notify(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Desktop::Notify(3pm)

NAME
Desktop::Notify - Communicate with the Desktop Notifications framework VERSION
Version 0.03 SYNOPSIS
use Desktop::Notify; # Open a connection to the notification daemon my $notify = Desktop::Notify->new(); # Create a notification to display my $notification = $notify->create(summary => 'Desktop::Notify', body => 'Hello, world!', timeout => 5000); # Display the notification $notification->show(); # Close the notification later $notification->close(); DESCRIPTION
This module provides a Perl interface to the Desktop Notifications framework. The framework allows applications to display pop-up notifications on an X desktop. This is implemented with two components: a daemon that displays the notifications, and a client library used by applications to send notifications to the daemon. These components communicate through the DBus message bus protocol. More information is available from <http://trac.galago-project.org/wiki/DesktopNotifications> This module serves the same purpose as "libnotify", in an object-oriented Perl interface. It is not, however, an interface to "libnotify" itself, but a separate implementation of the specification using Net::DBus. METHODS
new %opts Connect to the notification daemon. %opts can include the following options: app_name The application name to use for notifications. Default is "basename($0)" bus The Net::DBus mesage bus to use. Default is to call Net::DBus->session, which is usually where notification-daemon can be reached. service The DBus service name of the daemon. Default is org.freedesktop.Notifications. objpath The path to the notifications DBus object. Default is /org/freedesktop/Notifications. objiface The DBus interface to access the notifications object as. Default is org.freedesktop.Notifications. create %params Creates a new notification object that can be displayed later. This will return a Desktop::Notify::Notification object; see that module for information about using it. close_callback $coderef Sets a user-specified function to be called whenever a notification is closed. It will be called with one argument, which is the Notification object that was just closed. AUTHOR
Stephen Cavilia, "<sac at atomicradi.us>" SEE ALSO
Net::DBus <http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/index.php> <http://www.galago-project.org/downloads.php> BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-desktop-notify at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Desktop-Notify>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. SUPPORT
You can find documentation for this module with the perldoc command. perldoc Desktop::Notify You can also look for information at: o AnnoCPAN: Annotated CPAN documentation <http://annocpan.org/dist/Desktop-Notify> o CPAN Ratings <http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Desktop-Notify> o RT: CPAN's request tracker <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Desktop-Notify> o Search CPAN <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Desktop-Notify> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2007 Stephen Cavilia, all rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2009-12-24 Desktop::Notify(3pm)