Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shell script to convert words to Title case Post 302905517 by martinsmith on Thursday 12th of June 2014 03:44:23 AM
Old 06-12-2014
Thanks very much Scrutinizer! Appreciate that you explained the tags as well. I'm a total newbie to this stuff Smilie Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script to convert to Title case

I need a shell script which will convert the given string to Title case. E.g "hi man" to "Hi man" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SankarV
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to convert words into links

hi, i need some help. i have to write a unix shell script that opens a file with a list of words and prints another file with a list of links. something like this: Input: FILE 1: Red Green Blue Output: FILE2: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Red... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazordoon
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell/Perl script to convert to Capitalize case

I need a shell script which will convert the given string within a <title> tag to Capitalize case. E.g "<title>hi man: check this out</title>" to "<title>Hi Man: Check This Out</title>" (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: parshant_bvcoe
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert upper case to lower case in ascript

I have a package to install and the installation script which does it . The files/directories names in the script are all lower case but the actual package has everything in upper case - file names, directories . I don't want to rename directories and files in the package - it has a lot of them . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vz6zz8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Title Case after apostrophe

I've got: $string =~ s/(\w+)/\u\L$1/g; Which capitalizes each word in the string. The problem is if I have a string with an apostrophe the first letter after it gets capitalized as well. So Bob's becomes Bob'S. Thanks for any quick fixes! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text between exact matching patterns to Title case

Hi Folks, I have a large text file with multiple similar patterns on each line like: blank">PATTERN1 some word PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1 some word PATTERN2 blank">PATTERN1 another word PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1 another word PATTERN2 blank">PATTERN1 one more time PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
10 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] git stripspace [-c | --comment-lines] DESCRIPTION
Read text, such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions, from the standard input and clean it in the manner used by Git. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)