Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple .gz decompress files and dump other directory Post 302905513 by clx on Thursday 12th of June 2014 03:21:39 AM
Old 06-12-2014
So you know the problem. It should be a filename and not directory name.
Also, in that way, you are actually trying to decompress the directory also (and not storing the decompressed files to that directory which I think you want to)
check man gzip or man gunzip for details.

Basically, you need to

Code:
for i in *.gz
do
 gzip -dc $i > /location/of/unzipped/files/individual_file_name.txt
done

In your case,

Code:
for i in *.gz
do
 gzip -dc $i > /home/vizion/Desktop/gzipfile/${i%.gz}
done

I assumed you are executing the script from the current directory. Otherwise, $i would contain absolute paths and you need to handle that as well.

Also, you dont need to use -d with gunzip. gunzip = gzip -d

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress directory using Gzip

Hey there... Just has a query. I have been trying to zip and unzip a directory. I used gzip -c -r <directory> to recursively search the directory and zip it Now is want to unzip the directory, by gunzip -r <filename>.gz The problem is that the unzip creates on file with the contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinxor
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp multiple files from same directory

Hi there Gurus, I have the following ftp script: $ more ftp_dump_arch4.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh # Constant variables HOST='xx.xx.xx.xx' USER='user' PASSWD='password' dir='/export/file' ftp_log='/tmp' ftp -n $HOST > $ftp_log/ftp.log << END user $USER $PASSWD verbose lcd $dir bin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pull out multiple files from DB table and redirect all those files to a differetn directory?

Hi everyone!! I have a database table, which has file_name as one of its fields. Example: File_ID File_Name Directory Size 0001 UNO_1232 /apps/opt 234 0002 UNO_1234 /apps/opt 788 0003 UNO_1235 /apps/opt 897 0004 UNO_1236 /apps/opt 568 I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in copying multiple files from th directory

Hey Guys, I have directory with thousands of files, I need to copy only march data. can any one please Help.......... Thanks, Uttam N (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttamnsd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large zone file dump into multiple files

I have a large zone file dump that consists of ; DNS record for the adomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 CRLF CRLF CRLF ; DNS record for the anotherdomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 CRLF (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bluemerlin
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple files with the same name in the same directory

Hi, Is it possible to have multiple files with the same name in a same unix directory? Eg., in the path \tmp, can we have 2 files with the same name as SALES_data_20120124.TXT? I heard it is possible if the user id that is created the files are different and with some ids, a new gets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in a directory

Hello, I would like to rename all available files in a directory from Filename to Filename_Normal. I tried to use below script but it is giving some error: #!/bin/sh for i in `ls` do echo Changing $i mv $i $i_Normal done Error received: Usage: mv src target or: mv ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk on multiple files in a directory

so i have a file system: /data/projects in this file system, there's about 300 files. on all files in this directory, i'm running: egrep -r 'Customer.*Processed' /data/projects/* is there an efficient (fast) awk way of searching through each file in the directory and providing an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with : gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
2 Replies
GZIP(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   GZIP(1)

NAME
gzip -- compression/decompression tool using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77) SYNOPSIS
gzip [-cdfhlNnqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] gunzip [-cfhNqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] zcat [-fhV] file [file [...]] DESCRIPTION
The gzip program compresses and decompresses files using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77). If no files are specified, gzip will compress from stan- dard input, or decompress to standard output. When in compression mode, each file will be replaced with another file with the suffix, set by the -S suffix option, added, if possible. In decompression mode, each file will be checked for existence, as will the file with the suffix added. If invoked as gunzip then the -d option is enabled. If invoked as zcat or gzcat then both the -c and -d options are enabled. This version of gzip is also capable of decompressing files compressed using compress(1) or bzip2(1). OPTIONS
The following options are available: -1, --fast -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9, --best These options change the compression level used, with the -1 option being the fastest, with less compression, and the -9 option being the slowest, with optimal compression. The default compression level is 6. -c, --stdout, --to-stdout This option specifies that output will go to the standard output stream, leaving files intact. -d, --decompress, --uncompress This option selects decompression rather than compression. -f, --force This option turns on force mode. This allows files with multiple links, overwriting of pre-existing files, reading from or writing to a terminal, and when combined with the -c option, allowing non-compressed data to pass through unchanged. -h, --help This option prints a usage summary and exits. -l, --list This option displays information about the file's compressed and uncompressed size, ratio, uncompressed name. With the -v option, it also displays the compression method, CRC, date and time embedded in the file. -N, --name This option causes the stored filename in the input file to be used as the output file. -n, --no-name This option stops the filename and timestamp from being stored in the output file. -q, --quiet With this option, no warnings or errors are printed. -r, --recursive This option is used to gzip the files in a directory tree individually, using the fts(3) library. -S suffix, --suffix suffix This option changes the default suffix from .gz to suffix. -t, --test This option will test compressed files for integrity. -V, --version This option prints the version of the gzip program. -v, --verbose This option turns on verbose mode, which prints the compression ratio for each file compressed. ENVIRONMENT
If the environment variable GZIP is set, it is parsed as a white-space separated list of options handled before any options on the command line. Options on the command line will override anything in GZIP. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), compress(1), xz(1), fts(3), zlib(3) HISTORY
The gzip program was originally written by Jean-loup Gailly, licensed under the GNU Public Licence. Matthew R. Green wrote a simple front end for NetBSD 1.3 distribution media, based on the freely re-distributable zlib library. It was enhanced to be mostly feature-compatible with the original GNU gzip program for NetBSD 2.0. This manual documents NetBSD gzip version 20040427. AUTHORS
This implementation of gzip was written by Matthew R. Green <mrg@eterna.com.au>. BSD
June 18, 2011 BSD