Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Generating all possible combinations of values in field 1 (awk) Post 302905482 by beca123456 on Wednesday 11th of June 2014 08:55:15 PM
Old 06-11-2014
Generating all possible combinations of values in field 1 (awk)

Input:
Code:
A|1
B|2
C|3
D|4

Output:
Code:
A+B|3
A+C|4
A+D|5
B+C|5
B+D|6
C+D|7
A+B+C|6
A+B+D|7
A+C+D|8
B+C+D|9
A+B+C+D|10

I only managed to get the output for pairs of $1 values (i.e. combination of length 2):
Code:
A+C|4
A+D|5
B+C|5
B+D|6
C+D|7

using this code:
Code:
gawk '
BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"}
{
   array_1[++a]=$1
   array_2[++b]=$2
}
END{
   for(i=1; i<=NR; i++){
      for(j=1; j<=(NR-i); j++){
         print array_1[i] "+" array_1[(i+j)] "|" array_2[i] + array_2[i+j]
      }
   }
}' input

How could I managed to add more than 2 values (i.e. the entire powerset)???

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by beca123456; 06-12-2014 at 02:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk search for max and min field values

hi, i have an awk script and I managed to figure out how to search the max value but Im having difficulty in searching for the min field value. BEGIN {FS=","; max=0} NF == 7 {if (max < $6) max = $6;} END { print man, min} where $6 is the column of a field separated by a comma (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kirichiko
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Combinations

Hi, I need to generate all combinations upto n-1 level, if the input file looks like say, A B C D . . .... I need to generate all combinations such that first value remains constant and the remaning are combined with all possible ways. Output A AB AC AD ABC (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zorg4u
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting lines containing two column field values with awk

Hello everybody, I'm trying to count the number of consecutive lines in a text file which have two distinctive column field values. These lines may appear in several line blocks within the file, but I only want a single block to be counted. This was my first approach to tackle the problem (I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: combining consecutive values in a field

Hi, Here is my sample input X 2 AAA Y 3 BBB Y 2 CCC Z 4 DDD In field 1, if the value of one line is same as that of next line, I want to concatenate the corresponding value of the second line in the third field with the value of the third field of first line. And I dont need the third... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK to edit/add field values in a record

Hi Experts, I am new to shell scripting. Need some help in doing one task given by the customer. The sample record in a file is as follows: 3538,,,,,,ID,ID1,,,,,,,,,,, It needs to be the following: 3538,,353800,353800,,,ID,ID1,,,,,COLX,,,,,COLY, And i want to modify this record in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting values into order in a field using awk

Hi, I am using UBUNTU 12.04. I have a dataset as follows: Column#1 Column#2 Column#3 .... Column#50 1 154878 1 145145 2 189565 2 454121 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk One Liner to Count Field Combinations

I have text files, fields separated by commas, and there are 115 fields. I need to use nawk to look at each line, if field $4==10, then count how many times the combination of field $5 and field $11 occur in the file. I tried the following: nawk -F, '{if($4==10){tg++;cd++,tgcd++}}END{for(i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help - matching a field with certail values

Hello there, I have a file with few fields separated by ":". I wrote a below awk to manipulate this file: awk 'BEGIN { FS=OFS=":" }\ NR != 1 && $2 !~ /^98/ && $8 !~ /^6/{print $0}' $in_file > $out_file What I wanted was that if $8 field contains any of the values - 6100, 6110, 6200 -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Values with common field in same line with awk

Hi all ! I almost did it but got a small problem. input: cars red cars blue cars green truck black Wanted: cars red-blue-green truck black Attempt: gawk 'BEGIN{FS="\t"}{a = a (a?"-":"")$2; $2=a; print $1 FS $2}' input But I also got the intermediate records... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert field values in a record using awk command

Hi Friends, Below is my input file with "|" (pipe) as filed delimiter: My Input File: HDR|F1|F2||||F6|F7 I want to inser values in the record for field 4 and field 5. Expected output HDR|F1|F2||F4|F5|F6|F7 I am able to append the string to the end of the record, but not in between the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)