Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is C worth the effort?
Top Forums Programming Is C worth the effort? Post 302905437 by wisecracker on Wednesday 11th of June 2014 01:52:56 PM
Old 06-11-2014
Hi dryPants...

Quote:
Do you have some other good advices for me?
Yes. Python is a very strict language and has libraries for just about anything that anyone in the coding industry is likely to encounter.

Before deciding to hammer any hardware, (and yes I have done much in this area), experiment coding for something less likely to cause you serious headaches.

Once you feel confident try experimenting with an Arduino, USB type, as an example.

In *NIX flavours it is easy to R/W from/to even with shell scripting. I have uploaded much code to do this mainly in Python for multi-platform use, (including a serial port stock AMIGA A1200 with HW mods to the USB Arduino), I love "banging the metal"...

I personally love assembly but........
......don't expect to get to Ring 0 directly in current OSes you WILL have serious headaches finding that you can't. The days of MS-DOS where BIOS and other assembly access and calls are long gone.

Study things like ISA, PCI bus design and limitations as examples then progress to current technology. I studied the PCI slot for months only to realise my limitations at home built hardware was way beyond any beginners scope.

Hope this helps...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is Unix Worth it?

I have been wanting to get much deaper into the world of computers for quite some time. I know a lot of c++, and plenty of website programming, and decided that the next step should be Unix. But here's the thing - I know nothing about Unix. I installed it and everything, but it just seemed like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GuyWithAPen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is this system worth?

So my family is cleaning out our house and my dad stumbled on a Unix system with Unigraphix installed on it, and he remembers that it was 1 of 6 computers in a set that he used at a tool and dye machine shop where he worked. He said that the computer by itself with the monitor was $20,000! I was... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVOtosReborn
8 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Is M.Sc (FOSS) worth doing?

Recently while reading an linux magazine I understood that FOSS (Free or open source software) is gaining momentum.. And in my home town there is an reputed university which offers M.Sc online program on FOSS. The course covers: INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTING, PHILOSOPHY AND PRACTICE OF FOSS,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
4 Replies

4. Linux

Are /home partitions worth it?

I'm new to the Linux world and whilst I've been learning the ropes, I've read some conflicting opinions regarding the creation of separate partitions for /home and other directories during OS install. Some say that having these directories in separate partitions allows you to reinstall without... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: maerlyngb
12 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Are certifications worth it?

I have just been on RedHat SA 3 training course (4 days) and sat exams EX200 (RHCSA) and EX300 (RHCE) The daft thing was that politics meant I wasn't allowed to take courses SA 1 or 2. So I learnt about stuff I would never use (SELinux; iSCSI; NFS Kerberos encrypted with user specific access... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
22 Replies
VUSB-ANALYZER(1)					       Virtual USB Analyzer						  VUSB-ANALYZER(1)

NAME
vusb-analyzer - tool for visualizing logs of USB packets SYNOPSIS
vusb-analyzer [OPTIONS] LOGFILE [LOGFILE...] DESCRIPTION
The Virtual USB Analyzer is tool for visualizing logs of USB packets, from hardware or software USB sniffer tools. It's the world's first tool to provide a graphical visualization along with raw hex dumps and high-level protocol analysis. The Virtual USB Analyzer is not itself a USB sniffer tool. It is just a user interface for visualizing logs. It currently supports two log formats, but it's designed to be easily extensible. With a couple hundred lines of Python code, you can add support for your favorite log format. The Virtual USB Analyzer was developed at VMware as an efficient way to debug their own USB virtualization stack. They wanted a tool that made it easy to see problems at a glance, and they wanted a way to solve both correctness and performance bugs. As a result, they ended up with what they think is a fairly unique tool. They're excited to have the opportunity to release this tool as open source software. Supported Log Formats * Logged USB traffic from debug builds of VMware Fusion, Workstation, or Player. See the tutorial for information on capturing such a log. * XML logs from the Ellisys USB Explorer 200, a hardware USB 2.0 analyzer. Features * Unique graphical timeline view. * Side-by-side diff mode: visually compare two log files. * Pluggable log format modules: VMware, Ellisys. * Pluggable protocol decoders: USB Chapter 9, Bluetooth, Storage, Cypress FX2. * Packet metrics and filtering tools. * Whole-bus analysis: analyze multiple devices concurrently. * Written in Python, with a GTK+ user interface. * Automatic "tail -f" mode: follow log files as they grow. * Loads large log files in the background. You can start browsing before the whole file is loaded into memory. * Automatic decompression of gzipped log files. OPTIONS
-t Tail mode, start from the end of a growing log file. HOMEPAGE
More information about vusb-analyzer, including a tutorial and sample logs, can be found at <http://vusb-analyzer.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
vusb-analyzer Micah Dowty <micah@vmware.com>. This manual page was written by Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 1.0 2009-05-17 VUSB-ANALYZER(1)