Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Integrity check for the backup Post 302905405 by frhling on Wednesday 11th of June 2014 10:43:25 AM
Old 06-11-2014
Actually I have nothing to do with backup as a software already does it. I have just to monitor the file systems and keep track if they are really backed up due to the high availibility cluster architecture which is used so it would be difficult to keep track if file systems are backed up ok.
as I created some big files and compared the two files with CRC, MD5 and cmp(Byte by Byte), I see Byte by Byte is a faster approach.

for the case that some files change between backup and verify I have thought of this: If timestamp of file > timestamp of backup: go to the next file

I think what you explained has more relation to backup and not monitoring file systems.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check the size of the backup from the tape?

Hi, How can I check the size of the databse/filesystem in the tape (4MM or 8MM)? For example, I want to restore some databse/filesystem backup to the system. Before that I wanna check the size of that from the tape.Please help me regarding..... Regards, Sharif. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
0 Replies

2. AIX

Check the backup dates on Tape

Hi all I am using IBM machines with tape drive, what i do is go to informis and i insert the tape and run the command "ontape -s -L " and the level of backup that i want to take. Now what i want to check is which days are the backup being run, does the system create a log and stores info where... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check that backup MX actually does its job

Hey! I have just configured an backup MX using Mail::Toaster under FreeBSD. As I'm a novice when it comes to mailservers, I need to ask someone how to check that this backup really does its job. My primare MX is unfortunately on a Dynamic IP line, but its unsusual for it to change the IP.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
4 Replies

5. Solaris

File Integrity Check

Hi, I have two NFS shares mounted on a solaris system. share1 and share2 , both are from different NFS servers share1 has 500GB of data share 2 is empty. I am copying all the data from share1 to share2. It is like migrating the data from one NFS share to another. Is there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: athreyavc
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check mail backup cron job

i have just installed a cron job to run at 3 in the morning once a week. It's difficult for me to test if it works because the email backup program takes the email service down before running the backup. I wondered if i could ask you gurus if this would work? 0 3 * * 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

data integrity check needed

Hi friends I need copied 100gd of data to other Solaris server. Could anyone help me guiding appropriate way of checking data integrity at source and destination so can I delete the data at source location . How can print/check cksum of individual file in each folder and match it with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk_kamozalwar
7 Replies
VGCFGBACKUP(8)                                                System Manager's Manual                                               VGCFGBACKUP(8)

NAME
vgcfgbackup - backup volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgbackup [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-h|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [-P|--partial] [-v|--verbose] [VolumeGroupName...] DESCRIPTION
vgcfgbackup allows you to backup the metadata of your volume groups. If you don't name any volume groups on the command line, all of them will be backed up. In a default installation, each volume group gets backed up into a separate file bearing the name of the volume group in the directory /etc/lvm/backup. You can write the backup to an alternative file using -f. In this case if you are backing up more than one volume group the filename is treated as a template, and %s gets replaced by the volume group name. NB. This DOESN'T backup user/system data in logical volume(s)! Backup /etc/lvm regularly too. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcfgrestore(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGBACKUP(8)