Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing arguments to a bash script Post 302905314 by shree11 on Wednesday 11th of June 2014 02:56:29 AM
Old 06-11-2014
Passing arguments to a bash script

Hi,

I wanted to pass an argument to a bash script. So that the argument is used inside the awk command inside the bash script.
I know the noraml way of passing argument to a bash script as below :
Code:
sh myScript.sh abc

Inside the bash script i can use like this
myArg1=$1
wc $myArg

But here in my case, i'm using awk command inside the bash script.
So when i do similar kind of thing as mention below(the below code is not an original code):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
awk -F ","  '{  
mytable = $1;
a = CREATE TABLE $mytable(x int, y string);
}' file1.txt  file2.txt

When i run the script as:
Code:
sh testScript  xyz

It's not taking the argument $1 in the create table statement and giving the output as :
Quote:
a = CREATE TABLE $mytable(x int, y string);

The desired output is :
a = CREATE TABLE xyz(x int, y string);
So where its going wrong?
How can i pass the input parameters inside the awk command in bash script ?

Thanks in Advance,
Shree

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a script

I've written a script (bgrep) for a more advanced grep command (& attached a cut down version below). I'm trying allow all grep options to be used, or in any combination. The script works fine if I type say bgrep -i -files product it will return a non-case sensitive list of matches for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a Perl script

I am playing around with Perl and wrote the script below that is executed from the command line, it will split data up in a file based on a value supplied. When executed you provide two arguments - the file that contains the data to be split and the character you want to split by. It works as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing blank arguments to a script

All, I have a cron job script that receives several command line arguments. At some point if there are validation problems and the job cannot be run, it duplicates the entire command line into a temporary text file which is later executed as a script. Unfortunately when I pass the list of received... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem passing arguments to script

Hi, I am writing a script, which is invoked from other system using ssh. I have problems reading the arguments passing to the script. If the argument has a space in it (ex "rev 2.00"), the script considers "rev" as 1 argument and "2.00" as another. Instead i want "rev 2.00" to be considered... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to sql script

Hi Gurus, i have one requirement in unix script, i have a file called abc.txt in that few lines are there with the empid, i need to read each line and pass to .sql script. ex: abc.txt 2345 2346 1243 1234 i need to pass these arguments to .sql script rom unix ex: select * from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devendar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to external script

Hi! I have a python script that requires arguments and these arguments are file paths. This script works fine when executed like this: /my_python_script "file_path1" "file_path2" (i added quotes as some file names may have weird characters) the issue happens when i launch my python script... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments from a bash shell script to a command

I'm pretty new to bash scripting and I've found myself writing things like this (and the same with even more nesting): if $CATEGORIES; then if $LABEL_SLOTS; then $pyth "$wd/texify_grammar.py" "$input" "$texfile" "--label-slots" "--categories" "$CATEGORY_LIST" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: burbly
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to interactive program through bash script, here document

Dear Users, I have installed a standalone program to do multiple sequence alignment which takes user parameters to run the program. I have multiple sequence files and want to automate this process through a bash script. I have tried to write a small bash code but its throwing errors. Kindly... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: biochemist
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to php script

i want to be able to pass arguments to a php script if it is being piped: cat myphpscript.php | php - $1 $2 $3 blah blah This usually works for other script languages...i.e. ruby: cat myrubyscript.rb | ruby - $1 $2 $3 blah blah so my question is, how can i pass arguments to my php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner at bash scripting - need help with passing arguments

I at the moment, making a simple bash script, capable of setting up an workspace for me, so i don't have to do it manually.. Problem is though i can't seem to provide the bash script any argument, without running into my error checks, checking for input... Here is the code: #!/bin/bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
7 Replies
XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)

NAME
xsil2graphics - generate scripts to load xsil output data files SYNOPSIS
xsil2graphics [options] <xsil_file> DESCRIPTION
Utility program bundled with xmds, used to generate scripts that load simulation output data into either matlab (http://www.mathworks.com) or scilab (http://www.scilab.org), which are then used to manipulate the results further if necessary and then to present the results graphically. Matlab To generate a matlab m-file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics data_file.xsil or bash$ xsil2graphics --matlab data_file.xsil Then at the matlab command prompt: >> data_file Scilab To generate a scilab script file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab data_file.xsil Then at the scilab command prompt: --> exec('data_file.sci') OPTIONS
-m, --matlab generate matlab m-file script to load data from the xsil data file (the default option) -s, -scilab generate scilab script file to load data from the xsil data file -o, --outfile <out_file> specify an alternative output script filename to the default which is the input xsil filename with the .xsil extension changed to either .m for the matlab m-file or .sci for the scilab script file EXAMPLES
bash$ xsil2graphics nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.m to load the data into matlab bash$ xsil2graphics -m nlse.xsil Also generates the output nlse.m but explicitly sets matlab to be the output format bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.sci to load the data into scilab bash$ xsil2graphics --outfile nlse_new.m nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse_new.m to load the data into matlab AUTHORS
Originally written by Greg Collecutt Maintained by Paul Cochrane with code contributed by Joe Hope BUGS
No known bugs. SEE ALSO
xmds(1), loadxsil(1) http://www.xmds.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Code contributed by Greg Collecutt, Joseph Hope and Paul Cochrane This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. perl v5.8.2 2004-06-21 XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)