Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is C worth the effort?
Top Forums Programming Is C worth the effort? Post 302905294 by Corona688 on Tuesday 10th of June 2014 06:40:25 PM
Old 06-10-2014
OOP doesn't necessarily make everything easier. What matters is what you do with it. It's a programming style like any other. It's possible to write disorganized, messy C++ code and rigorously organized C. I always think you should learn C before you learn C++, C++ tries to hide a lot of the messier things but they're not really gone, and can bite you if you don't know them. It's a lot easier to understand with a proper foundation in C.

Writing in C makes it easier to export your code as libraries, even to other languages... Big ones like Perl and Python make it possible to build special loadable modules which use them, but there's a lot more hoops to jump through for calling C++ functions than C ones.

And if you want to program embedded things like handheld video games, C is probably the language you'll deal with. Also to handle the linux kernel, C is what you must know.

As for whether they're worth the effort... There's a plethora of other languages these days ranging from perl and python and ruby all the way to extremely high level things like javascript... For many purposes they're simpler and less effort than C. Except -- what were they all written in? C/C++, of course.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is Unix Worth it?

I have been wanting to get much deaper into the world of computers for quite some time. I know a lot of c++, and plenty of website programming, and decided that the next step should be Unix. But here's the thing - I know nothing about Unix. I installed it and everything, but it just seemed like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GuyWithAPen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is this system worth?

So my family is cleaning out our house and my dad stumbled on a Unix system with Unigraphix installed on it, and he remembers that it was 1 of 6 computers in a set that he used at a tool and dye machine shop where he worked. He said that the computer by itself with the monitor was $20,000! I was... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVOtosReborn
8 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Is M.Sc (FOSS) worth doing?

Recently while reading an linux magazine I understood that FOSS (Free or open source software) is gaining momentum.. And in my home town there is an reputed university which offers M.Sc online program on FOSS. The course covers: INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTING, PHILOSOPHY AND PRACTICE OF FOSS,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
4 Replies

4. Linux

Are /home partitions worth it?

I'm new to the Linux world and whilst I've been learning the ropes, I've read some conflicting opinions regarding the creation of separate partitions for /home and other directories during OS install. Some say that having these directories in separate partitions allows you to reinstall without... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: maerlyngb
12 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Are certifications worth it?

I have just been on RedHat SA 3 training course (4 days) and sat exams EX200 (RHCSA) and EX300 (RHCE) The daft thing was that politics meant I wasn't allowed to take courses SA 1 or 2. So I learnt about stuff I would never use (SELinux; iSCSI; NFS Kerberos encrypted with user specific access... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
22 Replies
xmerl_xs(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition						    xmerl_xs(3erl)

NAME
xmerl_xs - Erlang has similarities to XSLT since both languages have a functional programming approach. DESCRIPTION
Erlang has similarities to XSLT since both languages have a functional programming approach. Using xmerl_xpath it is possible to write XSLT like transforms in Erlang. XSLT stylesheets are often used when transforming XML documents, to other XML documents or (X)HTML for presentation. XSLT contains quite many functions and learning them all may take some effort. This document assumes a basic level of understanding of XSLT. Since XSLT is based on a functional programming approach with pattern matching and recursion it is possible to write similar style sheets in Erlang. At least for basic transforms. This document describes how to use the XPath implementation together with Erlangs pattern match- ing and a couple of functions to write XSLT like transforms. This approach is probably easier for an Erlanger but if you need to use real XSLT stylesheets in order to "comply to the standard" there is an adapter available to the Sablotron XSLT package which is written i C++. See also the Tutorial . EXPORTS
built_in_rules(Fun, E) -> List The default fallback behaviour. Template funs should end with: template(E) -> built_in_rules(fun template/1, E) . select(String::string(), E) -> E Extracts the nodes from the xml tree according to XPath. See also: value_of/1 . value_of(E) -> List Types E = unknown() Concatenates all text nodes within the tree. Example: <xsl:template match="title"> <div align="center"> <h1><xsl:value-of select="." /></h1> </div> </xsl:template> becomes: template(E = #xmlElement{name='title'}) -> ["<div align="center"><h1>", value_of(select(".", E)), "</h1></div>"] xslapply(Fun::Function, EList::list()) -> List Types Function = () -> list() xslapply is a wrapper to make things look similar to xsl:apply-templates. Example, original XSLT: <xsl:template match="doc/title"> <h1> <xsl:apply-templates/> </h1> </xsl:template> becomes in Erlang: template(E = #xmlElement{ parents=[{'doc',_}|_], name='title'}) -> ["<h1>", xslapply(fun template/1, E), "</h1>"]; AUTHORS
<> xmerl 1.2.8 xmerl_xs(3erl)