Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Can anybody learn how to code? Post 302905217 by bakunin on Tuesday 10th of June 2014 10:14:44 AM
Old 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
banunkin, Do you mean the "If those foreigners don't understand, just shout louder" brigade?
Not exactly. What i mean is the "i want everything in a foreign land to be exactly like i am used to at home" - which begs the question "why go to a foreign land in first place". I live in Frankfurt/Main right now. At the corner there is a nice little italian restaurant i like to visit for dinner. The restaurant is run by a married couple: she - doing the service - is speaking some odd mixture of german and italian, which passes for "cute". He (the cook) is speaking no german at all. They have 3 daughters, all married to italians, they talk only in italian, they never spend their vacation anywhere else than Italy (precisely, they say "at home"), albeit already living for 25 years in Germany, etc..

I couldn't spend my life that way. I know not a single word of japanese, but if i would be forced to live in Japan, I'd try to speak japanese as fluently as possible. I would not dine exclusively in austrian restaurants and i would clothe myself like the japanese people do. If this includes kimonoes or something else foreign to me, then so be it.

It is the same with programming languages. For instance: of course it is possible to use C-like pointer structures in PASCAL - it is just cumbersome, inefficient and PASCAL is not really made to use memory like that. Of course it is possible to program around FORTRAN math functions (in fact i had to maintain such a program once - i still have nightmares from that) in a bid to outperform them: it is highly improbably, though, to succeed and there is a good chance to just produce tons of unreadable, unmaintainable and outright shitty code.

There are some tenets every programmer, regardless of his toolset should observe: simplicity, encapsulation, proper indentation, well-defined interfaces, .... But then, there are some innate strategies, structures, ways to deal with certain problems special to every programming language. One can argue if object orientation is a good programming paradigma or not - but if you think it is not, then you should not use Oberon or Modula 2 but stick to PASCAL, even if it is not well suited for large software projects. But I'd prefer to debug a well-written PASCAL-program over a poorly-written Oberon-program.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to learn!

Hiya, yes im new to all of this! But want to learn how to use Unix etc, iv been thinking about doin a course but desided im better off learning by my self with help from the people who really no what there doin...you guys! I can install Linux, like redhat, mandrake, susie server edition and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: epic.admin
5 Replies

3. Programming

Learn C or C++

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I would like to know which language is better to learn in terms of programming in unix? is C dying out and being replaced by C++ or is it a combination of the 2 or just mainly C? Thanks C19 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn UNIX?

Hey everybody, I am a 25 year old web programmer in Malaysia. I am not hapy with my line of work and I want to do something more. I know asp.net,asp,php and jsp.But they dont really land me in a good promising job wich I realy love. I am more interested in Oracle DBMS. now to be a DBA in Oracle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shounak
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want to Learn HP-UX!

What's the best free system to learn HP-UX on? The closest system, hardware requirements and installation instructions. I'm a newbie but determined. Any tips would be great. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: networkguy
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Want to learn RedHat

I Want to learn Red hat Linux at free of cost, can any one help me, I am zero in unix. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mustaq
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to learn UNIX

Hi, I am the ultimate noob when it comes to UNIX. Apart from a few basic thing like ls -l and mkdir (and that really is about as good as it gets) I know absolutely nothing about UNIX and I want to learn it and get better! I'm sure like with most things, just getting stuck in and trying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebdj
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to learn

Hi I know only basics of UNIX and i want to know that how can i become a good troubleshooter in unix adminstartion or shell scripting.... i am just a newbie to Unix ..i do not have programming skills as well. Your suggestions are welecomed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nattynitin
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

You too can learn how to code in a day! ;oO

I am not passing a comment, just waiting to read yours... ;oD Decoded: learn to write computer code in a day - Telegraph Decoded | Technology made human | On Demand, Enterprise, Masterclass (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
CREATE FOREIGN DATA 
WRAPPER(7) SQL Commands CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER(7) NAME
CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER - define a new foreign-data wrapper SYNOPSIS
CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER name [ VALIDATOR valfunction | NO VALIDATOR ] [ OPTIONS ( option 'value' [, ... ] ) ] DESCRIPTION
CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER creates a new foreign-data wrapper. The user who defines a foreign-data wrapper becomes its owner. The foreign-data wrapper name must be unique within the database. Only superusers can create foreign-data wrappers. PARAMETERS
name The name of the foreign-data wrapper to be created. VALIDATOR valfunction valfunction is the name of a previously registered function that will be called to check the generic options given to the foreign- data wrapper, as well as to foreign servers and user mappings using the foreign-data wrapper. If no validator function or NO VALIDA- TOR is specified, then options will not be checked at creation time. (Foreign-data wrappers will possibly ignore or reject invalid option specifications at run time, depending on the implementation.) The validator function must take two arguments: one of type text[], which will contain the array of options as stored in the system catalogs, and one of type oid, which will be the OID of the system catalog containing the options. The return type is ignored; the function should indicate invalid options using the ereport() function. OPTIONS ( option 'value' [, ... ] ) This clause specifies options for the new foreign-data wrapper. The allowed option names and values are specific to each foreign data wrapper and are validated using the foreign-data wrapper library. Option names must be unique. NOTES
At the moment, the foreign-data wrapper functionality is very rudimentary. The purpose of foreign-data wrappers, foreign servers, and user mappings is to store this information in a standard way so that it can be queried by interested applications. One such application is dblink; see in the documentation. The functionality to actually query external data through a foreign-data wrapper library does not exist yet. There is currently one foreign-data wrapper validator function provided: postgresql_fdw_validator, which accepts options corresponding to libpq connection parameters. EXAMPLES
Create a foreign-data wrapper dummy: CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER dummy; Create a foreign-data wrapper postgresql with validator function postgresql_fdw_validator: CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER postgresql VALIDATOR postgresql_fdw_validator; Create a foreign-data wrapper mywrapper with some options: CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER mywrapper OPTIONS (debug 'true'); COMPATIBILITY
CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER conforms to ISO/IEC 9075-9 (SQL/MED), with the exception that the VALIDATOR clause is an extension and the clauses LIBRARY and LANGUAGE are not yet implemented in PostgreSQL. Note, however, that the SQL/MED functionality as a whole is not yet conforming. SEE ALSO
ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER [alter_foreign_data_wrapper(7)], DROP FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER [drop_foreign_data_wrapper(7)], CREATE SERVER [cre- ate_server(7)], CREATE USER MAPPING [create_user_mapping(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER(7)