Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Profiling results and SMP
Top Forums Programming Profiling results and SMP Post 302905102 by achenle on Monday 9th of June 2014 02:59:28 PM
Old 06-09-2014
The msec/call number is awfully small to start with - and it doesn't change. How are you timing each function call? To what precision? You may be running fast enough on the new server that your measurement isn't precise enough and your code keeps adding zero time for each execution.

I don't think it's the SMP that's causing the problem, at least not directly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SMP support in Linux 7.3

What is the SMP support like when you are running Linux 7.3 on a system with 2-4 CPUs? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngryRabbi
3 Replies

2. SCO

SCO unix 5.0.7 (SMP)

I have a dell machine Dell 2600 PowerEdge it has two processor (intel Xeon ). Is there a path or a software that will work with SCO unix in order to enable second processor and how would i know that the second processor is active. Thanks a lot guys . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josramon
1 Replies

3. Linux Benchmarks

Dual Intel Xeon 2.4Ghz - Linux 2.4.26 SMP

System: CPU/Speed: Dual Intel Xeon 2.4Ghz Ram: 2 GB DDR 266 SDRAM Motherboard: SuperMicro X5DE8-GG Bus: 533MHz/400MHz system bus - Cache: 512KB HD Controller: EIDE Serverworks™ GC-SL Chipset Extra GCC compiler flags: -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

full shutdown in smp

I have installed redhat linux 9.0 on P4 HT machine. The grub boot loader shows path to smp mode and normal mode. when machine shut downs from smp version kernal , need to press the power button to power off. But in normal mode the system shut downs or power downs automatically(ie, full... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
2 Replies

5. Programming

socket close() -w- pthreads linux 2.6.18.2-34 (suse) SMP

Interesting issue. There was some discussion on the LKML last year regarding the potential problems in concurrent applications reusing file descriptors in various scenarios. The main issue is that the reuse of a file descriptor and reception of data in a threaded application can be confused pretty... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramen_noodle
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel Profiling

I compiled my device driver with the profiling option -p but while linking I am getting undefined reference to _mcount. LD /vobs/femto_drivers/DspBiosLink/dsplinkk/src/dsplinkk.o Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST *** Warning: "_mcount" undefined! Architechture: ppc32 From... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok V
0 Replies

7. High Performance Computing

MPI + Cluster SMP

Hola, he instalado mpich2 vs. 1.2.1p1 en un cluster de biprocesadores con las opciones por defecto (antes usaba ssm pero visto que se quedaba colgado, lo he dejado con nemesis). El caso es que quisiera que cada vez que lanzo un job (por ejemplo de 2 procesos), cada proceso del trabajo se fuera... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sonia_
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

profiling execution of a process

question goes like this : Explain how users can profile execution of a process with help of an example? can some one pls give me the answer?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakesh1988
1 Replies

9. AIX

C profiling tool for AIX

Hello everybody, Please let me know if there are any free C profiling tool for AIX environment Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteAlma
0 Replies

10. Debian

Profiling Processes while shutdown

I was wondering how can I find the culprit of a slow shutdown on my debian box? I am actually looking for a diagnosis tool that might dump the process name and amount of time it took to close the process after signal was send. As for now I am trying to use journalctl to seek some information,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varun Pandey
5 Replies
SMP_REP_BROADCAST(8)						     SMP_UTILS						      SMP_REP_BROADCAST(8)

NAME
smp_rep_broadcast - invoke REPORT BROADCAST SMP function SYNOPSIS
smp_rep_broadcast [--broadcast=BT] [--help] [--hex] [--interface=PARAMS] [--raw] [--sa=SAS_ADDR] [--verbose] [--version] SMP_DEVICE[,N] DESCRIPTION
Sends a SAS Management Protocol (SMP) REPORT BROADCAST function request to a SMP target. The SMP target is identified by the SMP_DEVICE and the --sa=SAS_ADDR. Depending on the interface, the SAS_ADDR may be deduced from the SMP_DEVICE. The mpt interface uses SMP_DEVICE to iden- tify a HBA (an SMP initiator) and needs the additional ,N to differentiate between HBAs if there are multiple present. OPTIONS
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -b, --broadcast=BT BT is the broadcast type, an integer in the range 0 (default) to 15. Broadcast (Change) corresponds to 0. Other known broadcast types are listed in the NOTES section. BT may be decimal (default) or hexadecimal prefixed by '0x' (or '0X') or with a 'h' (or 'H') suffix. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -H, --hex output the response (less the CRC field) in hexadecimal. -I, --interface=PARAMS interface specific parameters. In this case "interface" refers to the path through the operating system to the SMP initiator. See the smp_utils man page for more information. -r, --raw send the response (less the CRC field) to stdout in binary. All error messages are sent to stderr. -s, --sa=SAS_ADDR specifies the SAS address of the SMP target device. The mpt interface needs this option and it will typically be an expander's SAS address. The SAS_ADDR is in decimal but most SAS addresses are shown in hexadecimal. To give a number in hexadecimal either prefix it with '0x' or put a trailing 'h' on it. -v, --verbose increase the verbosity of the output. Can be used multiple times. -V, --version print the version string and then exit. NOTES
The following is a list of broadcast types: 0 Broadcast (Change) 1 Broadcast (Reserved change 0) 2 Broadcast (Reserved change 1) 3 Broadcast (SES) 4 Broadcast (Expander) 5 Broadcast (Asynchronous event) 6 Broadcast (Reserved 3) 7 Broadcast (Reserved 4) 8 Broadcast (Zone activate) The remaining zone types (9 to 15) may be issued by the ZONED BROADCAST function. CONFORMING TO
The SMP REPORT BROADCAST function was introduced in SAS-2 . AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
smp_utils, smp_zoned_broadcast(smp_utils) smp_utils-0.96 June 2011 SMP_REP_BROADCAST(8)