Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Debug Stepping Answering Questions Post 302904956 by metallica1973 on Sunday 8th of June 2014 10:43:46 AM
Old 06-08-2014
Perl Debug Stepping Answering Questions

I am new to perl and want to get a little better understanding of debugging code in perl. I have a perl script that has questions to be answered like:
Code:
he following PERL modules are recommended:
	Crypt::DES
	Crypt::PasswdMD5
	IO::Pty
	Net::Write::Layer2
	String::CRC32

Attempt to install the above modules? [yes]

So what I have been doing is using:
Code:
perl -w -d blah.pl

and simply stepping through each line in the code. I use bash and frequently use:
Code:
bash -x blah.sh

to watch the code execute line by line, answering any questions that come into my path. So naturally my question is how to do I do that with perl?

---------- Post updated at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:54 AM ----------

disregard question, I figured it out in that it was taking to long to get to the question in the script when I was stepping through each line because the script calls other pm and etc.

---------- Post updated at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:43 AM ----------

disregard question, I figured it out in that it was taking to long to get to the question in the script when I was stepping through each line because the script calls other pm and etc.

Last edited by metallica1973; 06-08-2014 at 11:01 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: answering automatically to install questions

Hi everybody, I have been looking for an answer to this issue both on google and on the forum, but I couldn't find anything. please help me :eek: As part of an automated (in perl) install of Solaris 9, I would like to be able to answer automaticaly to the question the installer asks.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaap
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what's the debug command for perl scripts

Hi, Can you please let me know if there's any debug command for perl scripts like set -x for shell scripts (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanandra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl questions - more

More questions for Perl on Windows (again I apologize its on windows... ) 1. How can I check free disk space on a drive in windows using perl command in a script? 2. How can I check processes running using perl command (as I would normally be able to see in task manager for example) 3. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange net::SFTP Perl module debug entry

I installed Net::sftp on a solaris 8 server and I am able to successfully transfer files to the remote server. I am running the command out of a script with debug=1 on so I can see the verbose output. The last two lines of the debug output show it couldn't fsetstat, but I don't know what that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
2 Replies

5. Linux

Stair stepping

Is there a command line flag to lpr or a utility similar to the Unix 'xtod' command to fix stair stepping when printing? Under Unix I would: # cat textfile | xtod | lp -d lineprinter Anything like that for linux? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lochraven
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: NET::FTP..>Debug Messages

HI All, NET::FTP->new($server, DEBUG=>1); I need to get all the Debug Messages in an array or a file.... Please suggest!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angad.makkar
0 Replies

7. Solaris

stepping through newfs

On a RAID-5 solaris 9 server, we replaced a bad disk. Upon boot up, a mount point failed: vxvm:vxvol: ERROR: Volume IQ_Staging is not startable; some subdisks are unusable and the parity is stale With Sun tech support, we tried vxvol start and vxvol resync, but it remained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abstractrick
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: a way to see a sub code in debug mode: perl -de 0 ?

Is there a way to see or print a sub code? Sometime a sub could be already defined, but in the debug mode (so, interactively) it could be already out of screen. So, I would think about a way to check if the sub is defined (just 'defined' is not a problem) and how it is defined. Also, if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging perl and shell debug mode.

I have a shell program which calls a perl program. I am running the shell program with command; $ ksh -x <prog_name> Inside the shell program, I am calling perl with warnings. I want to capture the entire output as it comes on screen. The command I tried is: $ ksh -x... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debug perl script

Hi, I am trying to get squid up and running using a redirector process, and every time I try to load a web page, squid fails miserably. Can some one with perl and squid knowledge take a look at these codes and tell if something is wrong here. #!/usr/bin/perl # $| = 1; @endings = qw/... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
0 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question class SYNOPSIS
"use Net::DNS::Question" DESCRIPTION
A "Net::DNS::Question" object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = Net::DNS::Question->new("example.com", "MX", "IN"); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa subdomains. parse ($question, $offset) = Net::DNS::Question->parse($data, $offset); Parses a question section record at the specified location within a DNS packet. The first argument is a reference to the packet data. The second argument is the offset within the packet where the question record begins. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. Parsing is aborted if the question object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). qname, zname print "qname = ", $question->qname, " "; print "zname = ", $question->zname, " "; Returns the domain name. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zname" and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype print "qtype = ", $question->qtype, " "; print "ztype = ", $question->ztype, " "; Returns the record type. In dymamic update packets, this field is known as "ztype" and refers to the zone type (must be SOA). qclass, zclass print "qclass = ", $question->qclass, " "; print "zclass = ", $question->zclass, " "; Returns the record class. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zclass" and refers to the zone's class. print $question->print; Prints the question record on the standard output. string print $qr->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. data $qdata = $question->data($packet, $offset); Returns the question record in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet. Arguments are a "Net::DNS::Packet" object and the offset within that packet's data where the "Net::DNS::Question" record is to be stored. This information is necessary for using compressed domain names. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c) 2003,2006-2009 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Resolver, Net::DNS::Packet, Net::DNS::Update, Net::DNS::Header, Net::DNS::RR, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.12.1 2009-12-30 Net::DNS::Question(3)