Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Recruiting for an open source project Post 302904950 by steadyonabix on Sunday 8th of June 2014 05:55:36 AM
Old 06-08-2014
Recruiting for an open source project

I am posting this gauge the level of interest among the community in forming an open source team to work on an automation harness I am about to make available.

I already have a working POC running at my place of work, but it is not secure enough for production environments. However, I am about to release a more powerful and secure version that is secure enough and offers even more features. I will go into further detail about that later on in this post but in the interest of not wasting anyone's time, here is what I am looking for in the way of people with skills I need:

*) Testers
*) Shell Scripter's (Bash) who can review the code, particularly those with the experience and access to a UNIX environment to make it POSIX compliant. (I am currently developing on Centos). You shouldn't be daunted by the thought of working on a full blown application written in shell either.
*) Project managers with experience in running open source projects.
*) Web masters to put a site together for the project.
*) Code management.
*) Packaging
*) Technical writers for the documentation required.

I would particularly like to hear from anyone with a proven track record in managing an open source project and implementing the processes and procedures required to startup such a venture.

The harness is called MUSE, (Managed Unix Shell Execution) and has the following features:

*) Master - Slave architecture.
*) Plugin code modules.
*) Centralised reporting on master.
*) Automatic report summarisation.
*) Very simple syntax, so shallow learning curve.
*) Agnostic - Will run tools on a distributed cluster of servers that are written in any language, thereby enabling end users to leverage their existing tool sets without refactoring.
*) Event driven, Master and Slave are both implemented as state machines that communicate via a messaging framework.
*) Stateful, current state continuously updated in Sqlite3 databases in master and slave.
*) Secure. Currently implemented via LDAP.
*) Access controlled. Standard NIX user and group mechanisms are used to control who can run what and where.
*) Audited - Everything is recorded internally as well as logged under /var/log/muse.
*) Support for RAD. Feature rich developer tools built in by default but controlled via the access control mechanism mentioned above.

I am currently using the insecure harness to test a Data Warehousing Application in the following areas:

*) Integration testing. Application is distributed across multiple server types.
*) Resilience testing. e.g. Killing processes during data loads, block and unblock ports used by interfaces, consume disc space and memory etc.
*) OAT. Sequencing the upgrade and rollback instructions for operations staff with multiple configurations of distributed servers.

I shall not be releasing the insecure version as it is tightly embedded into my employer's systems and I don't want to waste time anonimising code that I'm not going to release. However the new version is almost ready to share with a team of like minded individuals who would like to be involved in making it generally available.

If you are interested in joining the project then please send me a private message with a potted resume. If I think you are likely to be a help during the early stages of the project, I will ask you for a more formal CV and get in touch with you.

If I think you will be of help later on once the project is set up, I will let you know and keep hold of your details.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Brad

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open source project

Hi Guys, This might not be the right place to ask but I want to contribute to some open source project. Can anyone please help me to how to start and where to start? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapan singh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feedback on "withsome" open source project

I have been developing an open source UNIX project for a few years and am looking for feedback on whether further development of the "withsome" project is of interest to other programmers. One simple example to give an idea of the project is: withsome ./pugs vi Pugs.pm 1)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronaldxs
0 Replies
INSIGHTTOOLKIT(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 INSIGHTTOOLKIT(3)

NAME
insighttoolkit - imaging toolkit for segmentation and registration DESCRIPTION
This manual page briefly documents the Insight Toolkit (ITK). ITK is an open-source software toolkit for performing registration and segmentation. Segmentation is the process of identifying and clas- sifying data found in a digitally sampled representation. Typically the sampled representation is an image acquired from such medical instrumentation as CT or MRI scanners. Registration is the task of aligning or developing correspondences between data. For example, in the medical environment, a CT scan may be aligned with a MRI scan in order to combine the information contained in both. ITK is implemented in C++. In addition, an automated wrapping process generates interfaces between C++ and interpreted programming lan- guages such as Tcl, Java, and Python. This enables developers to create software using a variety of programming languages. ITK's C++ imple- mentation style is referred to as generic programming. Such C++ templating means that the code is highly efficient, and that the many soft- ware problems are discovered at compile-time, rather than at run-time during program execution. Because ITK is an open-source project, developers from around the world can use, debug, maintain, and extend the software. ITK uses a model of software development referred to as Extreme Programming. Extreme Programming collapses the usual software creation methodology into a simultaneous and iterative process of design-implement-test-release. The key features of Extreme Programming are communication and testing. Communication among the members of the ITK community is what helps manage the rapid evolution of the software. Testing is what keeps the software stable. In ITK, an extensive testing process is in place that measures the quality on a daily basis. HISTORY
In 1999 the US National Library of Medicine [http://www.nlm.nih.gov/nlmhome.html] of the National Institutes of Health awarded a three-year contract to develop an open-source registration and segmentation toolkit, which eventually came to be known as the Insight Toolkit (ITK). The primary purpose of the project is to support the Visible Human Project [http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/visible_human.html] by providing software tools to process and work with the project data. ITK's NLM Project Manager was Dr. Terry Yoo, who coordinated the six prime contractors who made up the Insight consortium. These consortium members included the three commercial partners GE Corporate R&D, Kitware, Inc., and MathSoft (the company name is now Insightful); and the three academic partners University of North Carolina (UNC), Uni- versity of Tennessee (UT), and University of Pennsylvania (UPenn). The Principle Investigators for these partners were, respectively, Bill Lorensen at GE CRD, Will Schroeder at Kitware, Vikram Chalana at Insightful, Stephen Aylward with Luis Ibanez at UNC (Luis is now at Kit- ware), Ross Whitaker with Josh Cates at UT (both now at Utah), and Dimitri Metaxas at UPenn. In addition, several subcontractors rounded out the consortium including Peter Raitu at Brigham & Women's Hospital, Celina Imielinska and Pat Molholt at Columbia University, Jim Gee at UPenn's Grasp Lab, and George Stetton at University of Pittsburgh. LICENSE
ITK is released under a BSD-style license. See /usr/share/doc/libinsighttoolkitX.Y/copyright for the full text. API REFERENCE
The API documentation is available in HTML generated by Doxygen, in the insighttoolkit-doc package. MAILING LIST
Join the community by subscribing to the ITK mailing lists at http://www.itk.org/HTML/MailingLists.htm. AUTHORS
The Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit is developed by the Insight Software Consortium and the ITK community. SEE ALSO
See the project homepage http://www.itk.org/ for more information. Oct 11, 2005 INSIGHTTOOLKIT(3)