Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Recruiting for an open source project Post 302904950 by steadyonabix on Sunday 8th of June 2014 05:55:36 AM
Old 06-08-2014
Recruiting for an open source project

I am posting this gauge the level of interest among the community in forming an open source team to work on an automation harness I am about to make available.

I already have a working POC running at my place of work, but it is not secure enough for production environments. However, I am about to release a more powerful and secure version that is secure enough and offers even more features. I will go into further detail about that later on in this post but in the interest of not wasting anyone's time, here is what I am looking for in the way of people with skills I need:

*) Testers
*) Shell Scripter's (Bash) who can review the code, particularly those with the experience and access to a UNIX environment to make it POSIX compliant. (I am currently developing on Centos). You shouldn't be daunted by the thought of working on a full blown application written in shell either.
*) Project managers with experience in running open source projects.
*) Web masters to put a site together for the project.
*) Code management.
*) Packaging
*) Technical writers for the documentation required.

I would particularly like to hear from anyone with a proven track record in managing an open source project and implementing the processes and procedures required to startup such a venture.

The harness is called MUSE, (Managed Unix Shell Execution) and has the following features:

*) Master - Slave architecture.
*) Plugin code modules.
*) Centralised reporting on master.
*) Automatic report summarisation.
*) Very simple syntax, so shallow learning curve.
*) Agnostic - Will run tools on a distributed cluster of servers that are written in any language, thereby enabling end users to leverage their existing tool sets without refactoring.
*) Event driven, Master and Slave are both implemented as state machines that communicate via a messaging framework.
*) Stateful, current state continuously updated in Sqlite3 databases in master and slave.
*) Secure. Currently implemented via LDAP.
*) Access controlled. Standard NIX user and group mechanisms are used to control who can run what and where.
*) Audited - Everything is recorded internally as well as logged under /var/log/muse.
*) Support for RAD. Feature rich developer tools built in by default but controlled via the access control mechanism mentioned above.

I am currently using the insecure harness to test a Data Warehousing Application in the following areas:

*) Integration testing. Application is distributed across multiple server types.
*) Resilience testing. e.g. Killing processes during data loads, block and unblock ports used by interfaces, consume disc space and memory etc.
*) OAT. Sequencing the upgrade and rollback instructions for operations staff with multiple configurations of distributed servers.

I shall not be releasing the insecure version as it is tightly embedded into my employer's systems and I don't want to waste time anonimising code that I'm not going to release. However the new version is almost ready to share with a team of like minded individuals who would like to be involved in making it generally available.

If you are interested in joining the project then please send me a private message with a potted resume. If I think you are likely to be a help during the early stages of the project, I will ask you for a more formal CV and get in touch with you.

If I think you will be of help later on once the project is set up, I will let you know and keep hold of your details.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Brad

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open source project

Hi Guys, This might not be the right place to ask but I want to contribute to some open source project. Can anyone please help me to how to start and where to start? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapan singh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feedback on "withsome" open source project

I have been developing an open source UNIX project for a few years and am looking for feedback on whether further development of the "withsome" project is of interest to other programmers. One simple example to give an idea of the project is: withsome ./pugs vi Pugs.pm 1)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronaldxs
0 Replies
volmgt_running(3VOLMGT) 				Volume Management Library Functions				   volmgt_running(3VOLMGT)

NAME
volmgt_running - return whether or not Volume Management is running SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lvolmgt [ library ... ] #include <volmgt.h> int volmgt_running(void); DESCRIPTION
volmgt_running() tells whether or not Volume Management is running. RETURN VALUES
A non-zero value is returned if Volume Management is running, else 0 is returned. ERRORS
volmgt_running() will fail, returning 0, if a stat(2) or open(2) of /dev/volctl fails, or if any of the following is true: ENXIO Volume Management is not running. EINTR An interrupt signal was detected while checking to see if Volume Management was running. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using volmgt_running() To see if Volume Management is running: if (volmgt_running() != 0) { (void) printf("Volume Management is running "); } else { (void) printf("Volume Management is NOT running "); } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cc(1B), vold(1M), open(2), stat(2), volmgt_check(3VOLMGT), volmgt_inuse(3VOLMGT), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) NOTES
Volume Management must be running for many of the Volume Management library routines to work. SunOS 5.10 31 Dec 1996 volmgt_running(3VOLMGT)