Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search pattern on logfile and search for day/dates and skip duplicate lines if any Post 302904859 by newbie_01 on Saturday 7th of June 2014 04:05:06 AM
Old 06-07-2014
- FYI, x.txt is the script that I have so far.

Last edited by newbie_01; 06-07-2014 at 07:19 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print lines between the search pattern

hi, I have a file say x.txt containing xxx 123 bla bla ... you xxx dfk dbf ... me xxx ... ... keeps on.. i need to search for pattern in the line starting xxx in the file. If pattern matched, I need to fetch all the lines till i find next xxx. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsshini
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search in multiple lines

Hi, I have to search those statements from the file which starts from "shanky"(only shanky, shanky09 or 09shanky is not allowed) and ends with ");". These two string can be in a same line or different line. And also i have to negate those lines which starts with #. Can any one please give me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanky09
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read lines between search pattern

I have a file split something like 01/11/2010: No of users 100 02/11/2010: No of users 102 03/11/2010: No of users 99 ... I want to search the file for a particular date and then extract the following line with the date, something like 02/11/2010 No of users 102 I can grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern and read lines

Hi, I have a huge de-limited file which has pattern : 99"9876"2010-11-21 12:51:01"J"MNOPQRS ID# 2-1234-1234-0099-9876-0 "" <<read>> 99"9876"2010-11-21 12:51:01"K"R-EMP# 01234567 (LOGOFF) "" <<read>> 99"9876"2010-11-21 12:51:01"L" *AUTO LOGOFF* ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for pattern in odd lines?

Hi friends, I am looking for sed command/script that would search for a given fixed pattern on odd lines and then if it matches, prints the matching pattern and the next line. For example, in the example below, i am looking for pattern 0 and 1011 on odd lines. ########## start of example file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search pattern and delete lines

Hello, i have a question. My problem is that i have a file like: TEST JOHN ADAM MICHAEL SEBASTIAN ANDY i want find for MICHAEL and want delete lines like this: TEST (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightball
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for word in huge logfile and need to continue to print few lines from that line til find date

Guys i need an idea for one logic..in shell scripting am struggling with a logic...So the thing is... i need to search for a word in a huge log file and i need to continue to print few more lines from that line and the consecutive line has to end when it finds the line with date..because i know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prathi
1 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.42.9 December 2013 LOGSAVE(8)