Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Bash quoting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Bash quoting Post 302904823 by javajockey on Friday 6th of June 2014 04:20:48 PM
Old 06-06-2014
Linux

Thanks,

I'm almost there. So how would I go about storing
Code:
$(date -d "$num_days days")"

as a variable to call back at a later time? I can't seem to get this work by using
Code:
SUDO_EXPIRE=(date -d "$num_days days")

Bruce

Last edited by javajockey; 06-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: mistake

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards and quoting

Hi All In a script, I want a user to enter 4 characters, these can be a mix of letters (uppercase and lowercase) and numbers. In this example $var represents what the user has entered. eg $var can be A9xZ, 3DDL, bbHp .........etc I need to check that the user has only entered characters... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quoting of special characters

Hello, I am getting very confused as to where should i quote special/metacharacters in shell. Sometimes i write * directly and it works, othertimes i have to do "*". Same is the case with other special characters like /,\,.,$,etc. Can somebody give me link to somewhere where i can found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH quoting behavior

The block below isn't a surprise:$ ls file1 file2 file3 $ x=* $ echo $x file1 file2 file3 $ echo '$x' $x $ echo "$x" * $But I found this block a bit bewildering:$ echo $x' >' * $I'm wondering why substitution wasn't performed on the $x, since it was unquoted (as far as I can tell).... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: na5m
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting question

hi guys, i have a question related to quoting but i am not sure how to formulate it... lets say we want to simulate the following shell actions cd ~/project-dir ctags /home/work/folder1/*.sh /home/work/folder2/*.sh /home/work/folder3/*.sh so i make the following script buidtags.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aegis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting Characters

I have this data how do i add ' ' to them like '-AAL00L' , '-BBE4577' , 'ABC' -AAL00L -BBE4577 ABC (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting issue: Trouble with bash strings in script

I can do this on the command line: sqsh -S 192.168.x.x -o tmp -U user -P fakepass -D horizon -C "\ select second_id from borrower where btype like '%wsd%' " I can also just leave the SQL at the end intact on one line .... ... However, when I throw this in a script like: $SQSH -o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: correct quoting with find and exiv2?

Hi, I need to embed a metatag to image files which contain qrcodes, i usually do this with exiv -M "set Exif.Image.DocumentName `zbarimg -q -Sdisable -Sqrcode.enable --raw image.tif`" image.tif which works fine. However I need to do this recursivly for whole directory and subdiretory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcframe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting / interface question

Hi, My first shell script is one that prints the five largest directories in a given directory. My current effort is as follows, it gives me the output I'd like, but I have to quote a globbed pathname, which seems wrong: #!/bin/sh du -hs $1 | sort -rn | head -n 5 And I must invoke... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aardymir
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting the values in second field

Hi, I have got a file comp_data containing the below data : 38232836|9302392|49 39203827|8203203,3933203|52 72832788|567,3245,2434324|100 This file can have many rows like shown above. I want the values separated by "," in second column(taking "|" as delimiter) to be in quotes. These... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msabhi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky BASH quoting question

I have some data files that I can identify by a certain pattern in the names using find. Every one of those data files has an XML file associated with it (can be multiple data files per XML file). The XML file is always up one directory from the data file(s) in a folder calledRun##### -... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
12 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)