Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX /usr/sbin/extendvg: Unable to extend volume group Post 302904758 by rbatte1 on Friday 6th of June 2014 09:10:01 AM
Old 06-06-2014
Dear williamen,

Erbat? Who is Erbat? I'm either rbatte1 or Robin.

Anyway, thanks for the output. It gives us:-
Code:
PP SIZE:  512 megabyte(s)

From the manual page for mkvg, we read:-
Quote:
When creating the default volume group type (with a maximum of 32 PVs) or the big volume group type (with a maximum of 128 PVs), there is a
limitation of 1016 physical partitions per PV. When specifying the physical partition size (-s), make sure the value is set large enough so
that 1016 physical partitions per PV limit is not violated. For example, a partition size of at least 16 MB would be needed to create a volume
group with a 10 GB disk. Using a factor size (-t) of 2, a smaller partition size of 8 MB can be used. If a factor value is specified, the
maximum number of PVs that can be included in the volume group is MaxPVs/factor.
I think that you have reached this limit. Have a calculate to see if you agree. When creating the VG, the PP size has been set larger, possibly automatically for a 3Tb volume group.

Read the manual page for chvg and see if you might get away with chvg -G but read the manual first to see if it applies safely to you.

You may need to build a new volume group and add more logical volumes in there. Our main Oracle database has 12 volume groups with around 30 logical volumes in each. What do you need to add the extra disk for? There is space to grow LVs in your current VG - although it's only about about 3G which is pretty small for this VG I suppose.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/sbin/getty

How can i restart the console getty without rebooting the system on HPUX 11.0 Normally it will be stated by ps -ef | grep getty console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console many thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman_denmark
4 Replies

2. Solaris

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found - Please help

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found. Most likely the mount of /usr failed or the /usr filesystem is badly damaged. The system is being halted. Either re-install the system of boot with -b option in an attempt to recover Anyone help me on restoring this without having to reinstall. it is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
8 Replies

3. HP-UX

syslog: /usr/sbin/envd[1075]:

hi friends, what is the meaning of this error ? syslog: /usr/sbin/envd: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

4. Solaris

crontab /usr/sbin/rtc log rc=1

I noticed in my cron log file for my solaris 8 servers the rc=1. I imagine that is return code and something did not process. Does anyone know what that is, is there fix or the implications of leaving it? Thank you > CMD: && /usr/sbin/rtc -c > /dev/null 2>&1 > root 22049 c Fri Dec 19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unable To Extend the Size of a Logical Volume File System

Background: # uname -a HP-UX deedee B.11.23 U ia64 4294967295 unlimited-user license deedee.rsn.hp.com:/ # bdf /opt Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol6 6553600 6394216 158144 98% /opt /opt is almost full... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rob Sandifer
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to deactivate a Volume Group

We want to deactivate a VG but failed, because one of the LVs created there is busy. When we are trying to unmount the LV, it is telling "not mounted" and if I execute mount command it will be informing us "already mounted". dmsetup info is indicating "Open Count = 1". Please help me, how we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to reduce the size of volume group?

My volume group of size 200 gb. out of which only 100 gb is used by 2 logical volumes /dev/vg00/lvol0 and /dev/vg00/lvol0 respectively (both are 50 gb each). Whenever i use vgreduce command to reduce the size of volume group i get below error. # vgreduce vg00 -a Physical volume... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for /usr/sbin/userdbset on Linux

Hello. I am currently on HPUX and migrating to Linux RHEL 6.4 This program on hpux: /usr/sbin/userdbset is puzzling me on linux. Does anyone know the equivilent program forked or used on linux. This program is mentioned in our user reset script. here is a strings of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
2 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to extend volume group(VG)

Would some help me on this below I am trying to extend file system on AIX and however unable to extend the file system. 0516-306 extendvg: Unable to find physical volume 20 in the Device Configuration Database. 0516-321 extendvg: Physical volume u01-lv is not configured. 0516-792... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
15 Replies
VGDISPLAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      VGDISPLAY(8)

NAME
vgdisplay - display attributes of volume groups SYNOPSIS
vgdisplay [-A|--activevolumegroups] [-c|--colon|-s|--short|-v|--verbose] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--nosuffix] [-P|--partial] [--unitshHbBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [--version] [VolumeGroupName[VolumeGroupName...]] vgdisplay --columns | -C [--aligned][-d|--debug][-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure][--noheadings][--nosuffix] [-o|--options[+]Field[,Field]] [-O|--sort[+|-]Key1[,[+|-]Key2[,...]]] [-P|--partial] [--separatorSeparator] [--unbuffered] [--unitshHbB- sSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [VolumeGroupName[VolumeGroupName...]] DESCRIPTION
vgdisplay allows you to see the attributes of VolumeGroupName (or all volume groups if none is given) with it's physical and logical vol- umes and their sizes etc. vgs (8) is an alternative that provides the same information in the style of ps (1). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options and vgs for options given with --columns. -A, --activevolumegroups Only select the active volume groups. -c, --colon Generate colon separated output for easier parsing in scripts or programs. N.B. vgs (8) provides considerably more control over the output. The values are: 1 volume group name 2 volume group access 3 volume group status 4 internal volume group number 5 maximum number of logical volumes 6 current number of logical volumes 7 open count of all logical volumes in this volume group 8 maximum logical volume size 9 maximum number of physical volumes 10 current number of physical volumes 11 actual number of physical volumes 12 size of volume group in kilobytes 13 physical extent size 14 total number of physical extents for this volume group 15 allocated number of physical extents for this volume group 16 free number of physical extents for this volume group 17 uuid of volume group -s, --short Give a short listing showing the existence of volume groups. -v, --verbose Display verbose information containing long listings of physical and logical volumes. If given twice, also display verbose runtime information of vgdisplay's activities. --version Display version and exit successfully. --columns|-C Display output in columns, the equivalent of vgs. Options listed are the same as options given in vgs (8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgs(8), pvcreate(8), vgcreate(8), lvcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGDISPLAY(8)