Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lifecycle patching
Operating Systems Solaris Lifecycle patching Post 302904668 by mse on Thursday 5th of June 2014 02:10:43 PM
Old 06-05-2014
Lifecycle patching

I am trying to understand how people manage lifecycle patching these days. I am not a sysadmin (I am a DB Architect) and what I am being told is that if there is any lag between patching a dev server and a prod server that we will liley get new patches in prod that have not had any soak time in dev. Back when I did do sysadmin work, we downloaded the set of patches being applied in dev and then applied them to prod from our patch repository. IS this not done anymore?

I appreciate any help that can be offered to bring me up to speed on how patching is managed these days.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Patching

Hi all, I'm new to Solaris. How can i make sure that all my servers are patched to the same level. When i do a uname -a, i see different level. How can i make sure that they are having the same patches. Any expert to guide me through pls? eg. ServerA#uname -a SunOS ServerA 5.10... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahlude
0 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Adaptive Information Technology for Service Lifecycle Management

HPL-2008-80 Adaptive Information Technology for Service Lifecycle Management - Rolia, Jerry; Belrose, Guillaume; Brand, Klaus; Edwards, Nigel; Gmach, Daniel; Graupner, Sven; Kirschnick, Johannes; Stephenson, Bryan; Vickers, Paul; Wilcock, Lawrence Keyword(s): Software as a Service, Enterprise... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Patching

Hi all Ive got 12 odd sun servers, running solars 8, 9 and soon 10. Have to admit I havent patched for years. Infact the last time I did patch a load of servers, sun provided you will a small script which would review the current patch levels, create a xml file that you would use on sunsolve... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Patching error

Hi Gurus I wanted to patch two servers yesterday with the SUN provided patch_cluster for solaris 10 One server is had the same patchlevel before and after patching SunOS svr10008 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200 The other had after the patching a different patchlevel... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnom
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Patching Solaris 10

Hello to all, I have a quick question. I am learning Solaris, with Solaris 10 x86, and one of the chapters in the manual is about patching. So can I download free patches from the Sun page, I mean with out paying a license. Because It would be a great exercise to patch my installation of Solaris.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piukeman
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Java patching

hello, I'm a Solaris admin and I was asked to patch some RHEL servers. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the RHEL java version. Can someone help me? This what I do in Solaris java -version java version "1.5.0_34" java(TM) 2 Runtime Envirement, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_34-b03)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
5 Replies

7. Solaris

ldom patching

Greetings everyone! I have the task of patching six ldoms and two control domains. I have never done this before and would like to know of any pitfalls or "gotchas" I may encounter. I have been looking online but have found very little about patching ldoms. Thank you all. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: desertdenizen
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ Environment needed on Solaris,Program lifecycle

Hello, I would like to build some sample C++ application on Solaris SunOS 5.8 Generic Virtual sun4v sparc. so I would like to know what are the compilation utilities and runtime utilities I need to get in my machine and will any one explain me the detaied life cycle of program like what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Revathi R
1 Replies
EDIT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
edit-patch, add-patch - tool for preparing patches for Debian source packages SYNOPSIS
edit-patch path/to/patch add-patch path/to/patch DESCRIPTION
edit-patch is a wrapper script around the Quilt, CDBS, and dpatch patch systems. It simplifies the process of preparing and editing patches to Debian source packages and allows the user to not have to be concerned with which patch system is in use. Run from inside the root directory of the source package, edit-patch can be used to edit existing patches located in debian/patches. It can also be used to incorporate new patches. If pointed at a patch not already present, it will copy the patch to debian/patches in the correct format for the patch system in use. Next, the patch is applied and a subshell is opened in order to edit the patch. Typing exit or pressing Ctrl-d will close the subshell and launch an editor to record the debian/changelog entry. edit-patch is integrated with the Bazaar and Git version control systems. The patch will be automatically added to the tree, and the debian/changelog entry will be used as the commit message. If no patch system is present, the patch is applied inline, and a copy is stored in debian/patches-applied. add-patch is the non-interactive version of edit-patch. The patch will be incorporated but no editor or subshell will be spawned. AUTHORS
edit-patch was written by Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@canonical.com>, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@canonical.com>, and David Futcher <bobbo@ubuntu.com>. This manual page was written by Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com>. Both are released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities EDIT-PATCH(1)