Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looping structure to make up for lack of bash GOTO Post 302904303 by Corona688 on Tuesday 3rd of June 2014 11:42:11 AM
Old 06-03-2014
I too felt the absence of 'goto' at first but mostly because I didn't realize at the time the possibilities its loop structures give you.

Try the break statement, which immediately stops the innermost loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to make big directory structure

Hi, I'm a novice and I'd like to make a directory structure with a hundred or so folders. I've tried mkdir /foo/foo1/etc... mkdir /foo/foo2/etc mkdir /foo/foo3/etc mkdir /foo/foo4/etc ...but it appends '@' to each folder name and then fails on the subdirectories. Is it better to use a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamur
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping in hexadecimal with bash

hello every one this is my first post ... well i'm new to linux .... i've been enjoying shell scripting tutorials and i'm new to writting scripts i want to write a script that creates a directory tree named in hexadecimal but i'm stuck at the hexadecimal part ... here is my code (incase i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soba
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping in hexadecimal with bash

i want to write a script that creates a directory tree named in hexadecimal but i'm stuck at the hexadecimal part ... here is my code (incase i was dealing with intergers ...using bash) max=39 for((i=1;i<=max;i++)) do mkdir $i cd $i done i have tried using "typeset i16 i" but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soba
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping Bash Script

Does anyone have a same of a bash script that cd to a directory and execute a cgi script then moves onto the next directory then executes another cgi ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Virusbot
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Looping all the time

Hello, I have a database file, named data.txt, and a shell script (convert.sh) to convert data.txt from columns to row. Output file name will be column_to_row.txt In this example data.txt has only four rows. Format of data.txt is: info name surname telefon_nr Data.txt info boris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to goto specific line/function and start processing if user response is yes

In the bash below I am trying to run the script entire script including the ....(which is a bunch of code) and then in the run function if the user response is y (line in bold). then start processing from execute function. Basically, goto the # extract folder for variable filename line and start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

JSON structure to table form in awk, bash

Hello guys, I want to parse a JSON file in order to get the data in a table form. My JSON file is like this: { "document":{ "page": }, { "column": } ] }, { ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gescad
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make paste -d second file print down while looping?

]I would like to make the second file label 'b' print down the first file label 'a', like shifting down the file creating new lines I want it to print all the way down until the first line of the second file hit the last line of the first file. Would I have to put this into a file itself or could I... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
24 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

A dash to GOTO or a dash from GOTO, that is the question...

Well, guys I saw a question about GOTO for Python. So this gave me the inspiration to attempt a GOTO function for 'dash', (bash and ksh too). Machine: MBP OSX 10.14.3, default bash terminal, calling '#!/usr/local/bin/dash'... This is purely a fun project to see if it is possible in PURE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)