Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to prevent Accidents 'rm -rf *'? Post 302904224 by cero on Tuesday 3rd of June 2014 02:37:48 AM
Old 06-03-2014
One way would be alias rm to a script that checks its parameters:
Code:
alias rm='/usr/local/bin/myrm.sh'

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# script: myrm.sh
# check parameters to prevent system damage

[ "$*" = "-rf $(echo /*)" ] && echo "Illegal parameters" && exit 1

/bin/rm $@

Edit: as Don Cragun was faster I'll explain how I interpreted the OP: his problem is invoking commands via a third party tool which does not check the parameters it passes.

Last edited by cero; 06-03-2014 at 03:45 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prevent bash from interpretation :

I am using bash shell; my requirement is to run a long command. Now I have split this long command into a number of shell variables. Some of these shell variables contain special character ':' At the end, when the intended long command is executed as a series of small shell variables the ':'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prevent history entry

Is there anyway to prevent a command from being logged in the history file? I share a system with others (log in with same account) and I would like to prevent any passwords from being logged in the history file. Some of the commands that I run require username/password on the command line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
7 Replies

3. Programming

how to prevent deadlock on this...

I am using linux termios structure to configure serial port and read the port by read function. For some reason, if I read the whole buffer, almost every time the buffer does not contain the correct reply message sequence from a device sending reply to my linux PC. So I use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yimab
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent output to window

hello, Any suggestion on how to prevent Standard output and Standard Error to window? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: katrvu
3 Replies

5. Programming

How to prevent a class from inheretance?

:(Hi, There is a class in C++ called "CL". It should not participate in inheretance. If some body inherit it it should give errors.....:( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_sicsr
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parallel access - how to prevent

I have one shell script which is being accessed by many jobs at same time. I want to make the script such that , other job should wait for the script if script is being used by some other job. Is there any way to implement it in script level ? Gops (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to prevent queues from disabling themselves

I understand that on my HP-UX 11.31 system when print queues can no longer communicate with remote printers, the queue disables itself. How can I configure it to stop disabling itself, or alternatively, to re-enable itself when the remote printer comes back online? I have users in warehouses who... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: EatenByAGrue
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prevent process from being killed

Hi,all.Well,I know someone has already asked this question before,however,It's too long before.So i post a new thread here. Here is the issue.I have a shell script that use awk to calculate something and the script takes about 15 mins,it will use 100% CPU,and the system automatically killed the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prevent command from deleted

Hi, I've been searching around for solution, hope that some gurus here can help. I'm using some commands in my shell script and I'd like to protect these command to be moved to another directory. For instance, cp currently in /bin/cp. If I move it to /bin/cpxxx, my script will not be able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gklntn
3 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to prevent emails as spam?

If an email is sent from our application server(running on AIX) to an id that is outside of the organization like gmail etc, and if gmail should not treat the mail as spam, what has to be done from unix level? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
7 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)