Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Diff on remote servers file systems Post 302904213 by cnamejj on Monday 2nd of June 2014 10:46:53 PM
Old 06-02-2014
Here's a really crude thing I threw together just now that worked for me. Some variation on this, which just gets a list of files and checksums with "ssh", might help.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

for hh in HOST1 HOST2
do
    ssh $hh 'cd PATH-TO-DIRECTORY || exit; find . -type f -print | while read path; do echo "$path $(sum $path)"; done'
done \
| sort \
| uniq -c \
| gawk '\

{ fr[$2] = $1; }

END \
    {
    for( path in fr )
      if(fr[path] == 2) printf "Same %s\n", path
      else printf "Diff %s\n", path
    }'

Replace HOST1 and HOST2 with hostnames that will work on an "ssh" command. Meaning, short names if that works or fully qualified domain names. It just needs to get you to the server the script doesn't use that info afterwards.

And replace PATH-TO-DIRECTORY with the top of the directory tree you want to compare.

I tried just doing "-exec sum {} \;" in the "find" but it doesn't print the filename on the systems I'm using. That's why there's a shell script consuming the output from find and running "sum".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote file copy across 2 systems (AIX and SCO)

Hello, Pls i need to copy some data from AIX Unix 4.3 to a SCO Openserve 5.0.5 using rcp command. But i keep on having permission error. WHAT IS THE SOLTION OR WHAT COMMAND CAN I USE AGAIN (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aji
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

restore mysql dump file in many remote servers?

Hi all, I want to restore DB file in many mysql servers, i already using script for sending the dumpfile in all servers, but it's just annoying if i have to restore the dumpfile in all servers, i want just execute 1 script, and will restore in all remote mysql servers. I make script but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find match in two diff file - local srv and remote server

Perl Guru.... I need to compare two diff file (file1.abc will locate in current server and file2.abc will locate in remote server), basically the script will look for match in both file and only will send out email if there is no match and also give me list of unmatch and dups as well. So... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix shell script which inserts some records into a file located in remote servers...

All, I need to write an unix shell script which inserts some records into a file located in remote servers. * Get the input from the user and insert according the first row. It should be in ascending order. 123451,XA,ABA 123452,XB,ABB 123453,XC,ABC 123455,XE,ABE 123456,XF,ABF 123458,XG,ABG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techychap
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

update a common file in different/remote servers

Dear All, I need to update a common file (ie. same path and same filename) but located in different servers. (ie. remotely located ~ able to ssh from my server). Can someone help me how to go ahead with this? (Since I'm manually editing that file in 20 servers :() (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techychap
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

how to cp between servers on diff network

Hi, how can i sftp or scp between 2 servers, when only i am able to ping to them. they are on different network 10.130.170.31 -- server 1 10.130.230.141 -- server 2 i need to transfer data files from 1 to 2. need your suggestions or help on these. Regards saha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file on remote servers

Hey Unix Gurus, I'm having trouble in copying a file on 5 different servers, first how can you do it locally (i.e without the need to ssh to the server you want to copy the file) and if you need to ssh how do u run a command within that server. Please see my code below(it doesn't work somehow).... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Text To Remote Servers File Via SSH

Gentleman & Ladies, Please make me feel like and novice and explain why this is not working? I am attempting to ssh to a remote server via ssh and keys. I want to inject a file on the remote server with text. I am not achieving this. I would like to echo/inject the text on the remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abacus
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing value in a file on all remote systems.

Hello All, I want to replace a value of a string in a file on all the remote systems. The file is /opt/adapter/Adapter/snmp/conf/snmpd.conf and the parameter to be replaces if "rocommunity" for which current value is "public" and wish to change it to "sp1der". i did trying it through sed, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with create multiple directories under diff file systems

Hi, Need help ...I want to create multiple directories in different /file systems using for loop..eg.../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/ctl. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/data. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/redo. Script :- ========= for dir in `ls -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux6.5
8 Replies
Algorithm::DiffOld(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Algorithm::DiffOld(3)

NAME
Algorithm::DiffOld - Compute `intelligent' differences between two files / lists but use the old (<=0.59) interface. NOTE
This has been provided as part of the Algorithm::Diff package by Ned Konz. This particular module is ONLY for people who HAVE to have the old interface, which uses a comparison function rather than a key generating function. Because each of the lines in one array have to be compared with each of the lines in the other array, this does M*N comparisions. This can be very slow. I clocked it at taking 18 times as long as the stock version of Algorithm::Diff for a 4000-line file. It will get worse quadratically as array sizes increase. SYNOPSIS
use Algorithm::DiffOld qw(diff LCS traverse_sequences); @lcs = LCS( @seq1, @seq2, $comparison_function ); $lcsref = LCS( @seq1, @seq2, $comparison_function ); @diffs = diff( @seq1, @seq2, $comparison_function ); traverse_sequences( @seq1, @seq2, { MATCH => $callback, DISCARD_A => $callback, DISCARD_B => $callback, }, $comparison_function ); COMPARISON FUNCTIONS
Each of the main routines should be passed a comparison function. If you aren't passing one in, use Algorithm::Diff instead. These functions should return a true value when two items should compare as equal. For instance, @lcs = LCS( @seq1, @seq2, sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; $a eq $b } ); but if that is all you're doing with your comparison function, just use Algorithm::Diff and let it do this (this is its default). Or: sub someFunkyComparisonFunction { my ($a, $b) = @_; $a =~ m{$b}; } @diffs = diff( @lines, @patterns, &someFunkyComparisonFunction ); which would allow you to diff an array @lines which consists of text lines with an array @patterns which consists of regular expressions. This is actually the reason I wrote this version -- there is no way to do this with a key generation function as in the stock Algorithm::Diff. perl v5.16.2 2006-07-30 Algorithm::DiffOld(3)