Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I need to save a pid of a child started with $: su <user> -c “nohup …” Post 302903990 by vincegata on Saturday 31st of May 2014 04:09:16 PM
Old 05-31-2014
That solved it, thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Child Process PID

Hi, Can anybody solve this query? A parent process forks 2 child processes. How does the child process know it's PID without the parent process sending it. Apart from the "ps-ef" option, what other options are there if any? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skannan
2 Replies

2. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID of process started in background??

I am having a problem getting the PID of a process I start in the background is a csh. In tcsh and sh it's simple $! give it to you But in csh this just returns Variable syntax From the man page it should work but it doesn't???? Any help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stilllooking
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill scripts which are started using nohup

i have scipt which is calling some other scripts and some built-in utilities like SED, find etc.. i started this script using nohup (e.g: nohup scriptname &) now i want to kill this script and all the child processes of this script. the problem is, process id of child processes are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
4 Replies

5. Programming

Child process is not getting started

Hi, When i m trying to run below code,its entering into wait stage. output: In parent pid=2134 // some random value assigned to child process parent waiting..... and then it keeps on waiting for child to get terminate Y this child is not getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crab
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

child pid in ZSH

I am using ZSH shell in Linux. I am calling a child program in background mode parallely (say 2-3 threads). I have problem in handling the temporary files of these child programs since the temp file names are unique for all the child process. To distinguish i want to use the pid in the temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhams
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid of nohup process

I want to print the pid of a nohup process to a file so later I can use the list of pid's in that file to stop the background processes again. I use ksh on AIXv5.3: nohup /start/script.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ > .pid nohup /start/script2.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ >> .pid But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process id of the exe started with nohup

Hi, I have a strange problem. In my shell script, i am startting another program (a c++ exe) with nohup . I am getting the process id of this started process with using $! I am writing this process id into another file so that i can keep checking for this process ids to check whether the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parvathi_rd
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Killing child daemon started by parent process

Hi All, Hope this is right area to ask this question. I have a shell script (bash) "wrapper.sh", which contains few simple shell command which executes a "server.sh" (conatins code to execute a java server) as a daemon. Now what I want to kill this "server.sh" so that the server should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting child process id for a given PID

HI Am trying to get child process id for a PID using ksh.. ps -ef | grep xntpd root 3342472 2228308 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd root 4522024 6488316 0 12:18:56 pts/0 0:00 grep xntpd root 6291614 3342472 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd Here now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
gtans(6)							   Games Manual 							  gtans(6)

NAME
gtans - Tangram game for X SYNOPSIS
gtans [no options] DESCRIPTION
Gtans is a tangram game that runs in X. Tangram is a kind of puzzle game where the player has to arrange a set of pieces to match a given shape. OPTIONS
No command-line options Use the graphical interface to customize the program. See below. USAGE
move the pieces (known as tans) until they match the figure drawn on the right window. You must always use the seven tans and they should not be laid on top of one another. To move a tan, click and drag it with left mouse button, for rotation click AROUND it. You can flip the selected tan by right-clicking. This is usefull for the parallelogram tan (all positions can not be reached by rotating only). If you are a beginner to Tangram you should try the first 10 figures. The other ones are not sorted, some of them are very difficult (to my taste). When a figure has been solved the background color of the silhouette area changes. The solved figures are remembered by saving a status file in the user's directory (~/.gtans/afile.figures.status for a figure file called afile.figures) Show a tan This button shows the position of a tan. Each further click will display an other tan. Show outline Draw the figure in the main area. This makes the game much easier. Preferences Most of this menu's options allow you to change the colors used by the game. For the main area you may choose textures (pixmap files) instead of colors. Some sample files are supplied (I can't remember where I found them) but as the complete pathname is saved in the config file you can choose a file located anywhere (for example in /usr/share/pixmaps/). On a 8 bits display the colors may not be exactly what you want (GTK tries to find the best matching color). Preferences/Tans size/Increase Makes the tans 5 % bigger relatively to the game area. If you resize the window the tans size will be scaled. Preferences/Tans size/Decrease Makes the tans 4.76 % smaller Preferences/Accuracy Changes the precision of the comparison between the tans position and the solution. A lower accuracy makes the game more easy. Preferences/Rotation Step by step allows only rotation by increment of 11.5 degrees. Continuous rotation makes the game more difficult and you probably shouldn't use it unless you really dislike step by step rotation. Preferences/Figures file Allows you to choose another figures file. Preferences/Save config Save a config file in the user's home directory. Misc/Clear figure status Set the current figure as unsolved. Misc/Clear all figures status Set all the loaded figures (i.e. from the current figure file) as unsolved. FILES
~/.gtans/.gtansrc Configuration options for gtans. All of these options can be set from the interface, there should be no need to edit this file. ~/.gtans/somename.figures.status Status files (for each figures file the user played with) remenbering which figures where solved. SEE ALSO
The gtans homepage at <http://gtans.sourceforge.net/>. Additional information and documentation can also be found in /usr/share/doc/gtans/ . AUTHOR
The author of gtans is Philippe Banwarth <bwt@users.sourceforge.net> February 2000 gtans(6)